Daphne du Maurier

Polka Dot Rock

On the 13th May, it will 100 years since Daphne du Maurier was born ;) I know there are quite a few people on the forum who are also fans of her, so I thought it might be a good time to start a thread discussing/celebrating her work (and life).

I was aware of du Maurier, but it wasn't until I had to read Rebecca for a final year course that I realised how amazing the novel truly was was. I'm on a mission for her to be recognised as the truly great writer she was! Daphne du Maurier was a really fascinating person too: revision last year was so much fun!

I think she's an amazing writer: she's very modern, really, and her skill for plotting and atmosphere is wonderful. Even if you've guessed what's going to happen, you still read on!

Plus her books always make me want to be in Cornwall! :D

Rebecca is now one of my favourite books and I read Frenchman's Creek in Cornwall last year: I enjoyed it, although I prefer her darker moments.

I've just finished Jamaica Inn in all it's Gothic splendor. (With it's dank and creepy home, rotten uncle and downtrodden aunt, it really reminds me of The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter. But I have the impression Carter didn't think much of du Maurier soooo... Hmmm.)

I thoroughly enjoyed Jamaica Inn , particularly the character of Mary Yellan: she's fantastic, I was rooting for her all the way! I was struck, yet again, by how easily du Maurier can instantly take you into a sense of place and atmosphere. Her writing is beautiful and descriptive yet never feels unnecessary: I often have a problem with descriptive prose as I can lose interest, but du Maurier never loses me. Actually, I can say the same of Maggie O'Farrell, this month's Featured Author!

There were moments that were 'larger than life' but I feel like du Maurier handles these brilliantly. After now reading a few of her novels, I can see that this usually applies to characters (such as Mrs Danvers in Rebecca and Dona's rather comical husband in Frenchman's Creek). In Jamaica Inn, it's Uncle Joss and his band of n'er-do-wells who are over the top, but gloriously so. It makes sense for them to seem so otherworldly and outrageous to Mary, who has only known sleepy farm and small village life.

As I enjoyed it so much, I've now ordered My Cousin Rachel from GreenMetropolis - whoops! And I also got hold of a brand new copy of Julius in a charity shop in Bath (the slightly infamous 'incest' novel), so that's waiting to be read.

I'm looking forward to all the celebrations that are going to be on over the next month: the BBC are going DdM crazy!

There's a documentary by Mr Cornwall himself, Rick Stein (Eh? Rick Stein? I know he's 'Mr Cornwall' but that is just too, too odd):

Rick Stein in Du Maurier Country - BBC2 starts 8.30pm May 12th 2007 (thanks to Rennie for the proper title!)

There's also a dramatisation of My Cousin Rachel on Radio 4 this Sunday, 6th May, at 3pm :(

Plus, there will be an 'autobiographical' drama on BBC2:

'Daphne', a brand new drama staring Geraldine Somerville (Gosford Park, Harry Potter), Elizabeth McGovern (Freezing), and Janet McTeer (Five Days, Tumbleweeds) brings the secret love life of this renowned storyteller to BBC TWO.

Based on the acclaimed biography by Margaret Forster, 'Daphne' charts the story of du Maurier

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thanks for that, I'm going to look into reading more of her work. Rebecca is in my mount 'to be read'. Also made a note to watch the BBC dramatisation sounds great.

Oh I looove Daphne Du Maurier, though I haven't read anything by her for years. I'm more of a fan of her short stories actually. I read and enjoyed Jamaica Inn but found Rabecca hard work and never finished it.

Her short stories though I love!! My favourite is perhaps the Blue lenses. But Don't Look Now is really good too. Her stories have a certain darkness about them with supernatural or otherworldly undertones which I love.

Yay I'm so glad there's a thread about her now!!

The House on the Strand has been on my TBR pile for years. I really should read it soon!

I'm more of a fan of her short stories actually. I read and enjoyed Jamaica Inn but found Rabecca hard work and never finished it.

I have The Birds & Other Stories but haven't read it yet. (Actually, I have loads of short story collections and I never seem to get around to reading... I need a Short Story Challenge!)

I urge you to try again with Rebecca - when I first started reading it, I thought "caw, this isn't going anywhere". Oh, how wrong I was! All my friends thought the same too, and they all loved it!

Yay I'm so glad there's a thread about her now!!

Glad I could help :D

Please tell us more about your favourite DdM short stories! :D It'll help me get a quick DdM fix when I need it.

I urge you to try again with Rebecca - when I first started reading it, I thought "caw, this isn't going anywhere". Oh, how wrong I was! All my friends thought the same too, and they all loved it!

Yea maybe i'll give it another go. Enjoyed the film though with Laurence Olivier, very melodrama :D

Please tell us more about your favourite DdM short stories! :D It'll help me get a quick DdM fix when I need it.

Will have a look through my books and make some recommendations. Ithink I have the collection you mentioned.

Interesting...

You've got me intrigued now. I'll definitely give it a second chance. It was years ago that I tried it before. Sometimes things can be more enjoyable at a different life stage.

On the subject of her short stories I would recommend The Birds - very different to the film but equally scary.

Yes the Birds is really good actually.

I also seem to remember The Apple Tree being quite good as well, which is in my copy of "The Birds and other stories" At least I think that's what its called.

What treats you have ahead of you :D

I enjoyed Rebecca and Rule Britannia, which may turn out to be quite prophetic the way things are going. I've never read Frenchman's Creek, although I do have it somewhere in the TBR pile. Now seems a fitting time to get it out and try it

I've heard good things about the biographical drama on Saturday night (Daphne, BBC2) :eek2: Apparently she comes out of it quite well, which makes a change from most literary dramas!

The Rick Stein documentary has had mixed views, some say it's a bit low on substance. But I'll still watch it.

Apparently, at one point he states that "she was absolutely heterosexual"... Which isn't exactly the view the drama takes! :D Oh dear, Rick: are we a bit uncomfortable discussing these things? :D

I was just reading about the programme, I have not read any of her work:smile2: but it does sound great, will keep an eye out next time I am in Glasgow x

Once I finished my current book, I'm thinking of picking up My Cousin Rachel in honour of Ms du Maurier's birthday :D

Anyone else care to join me in starting to read a Daphne du Maurier this weekend, in time for the celebration? :D (I'm getting sentimental aren't I? Oh well!)