Pompeii by Robert Harris

chesilbeach

Pompeii by Robert Harris

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

A sweltering week in late August. Where better to enjoy the last days of summer than on the beautiful Bay of Naples? But even as Rome's richest citizens relax in their villas around Pompeii and Herculaneum, there are ominous warnings that something is going wrong. Wells and springs are failing, a man has disappeared, and now the greatest aqueduct in the world - the mighty Aqua Augusta - has suddenly ceased to flow. Through the eyes of four characters - a young engineer, an adolescent girl, a corrupt millionaire and an elderly scientist - Robert Harris brilliantly recreates a luxurious world on the brink of destruction.

I've only ever read one book by Harris before (The Ghost) but from what I can see of his books, he likes to write fictionalised accounts of real events. I would say this book would make a good holiday read, as it reads like a blockbuster thriller. If you're a fan of history and the Romans, I don't think you're going to learn much from this book, although it's obvious that the author has done his research, and I was fascinated by the description and engineering of the aqueduct.

The story builds as the engineer investigates why the aqueduct has stopped flowing, and the tension builds with the gradually revealed story of the corruption and politics of the region, as well as the personal story of the engineer himself.

On the slightly negative side, I'm not sure about the dialogue. Most of the speech is in a modern, contemporary style, with a sprinkling of swearing thrown in, which I actually liked because it made it easy to read, and let's face it, we have no real idea how they would have spoken in those times and it certainly wouldn't have been in English, but on the other hand, it did take me out of the story a bit at times.

Good thriller though, and an interesting subject to tell a story about, and I'd recommend as a good, holiday read.

Edited by chesilbeach

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I quite like Robert Harris, I've read Enigma, The Ghost, Fatherland, Archangel and Pompeii. His stories always come across as very well researched and I like his style of writing. I think that when you read a book like Pompeii you have to just choose to ignore the fact that the language isn't appropriate for the time, that's what I did and I enjoyed it. I can't really remember much of it now, I read it months ago, but I do recall really liking the engineer and I enjoyed how he interacted with everyone else, as a sort of outsider.

I did try to ignore the dialogue, and it was only a slight niggle really, but I did just feel it took me out of the story a couple of times as it was a bit too modern. Great holiday read though, and I felt the same about the other of his I've read - The Ghost. I'd be more than happy to read another of his books on a relaxing holiday! :D

I'm yet to read Pompeii but I would highly recommend the Cicero books by Robert Harris (Imperium & Lustrum). Hopefully the final book will come out this year so the story of Cicero's life can be completed.

I read Lustrum without realising it was the second book in a trilogy, and I still thought it was blimmin' marvellous. I've got Imperium and Pompeii on my TBR list :smile: