The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa

I was rather torn when I saw this book – the cover is rather stunning, but I wasn’t sure if I was ready for another vampire book – what else was there to say or do?

Thankfully though, it turns out there was plenty to be added to this genre, and the key to this particular book is the character of Allie. The Immortal Rules is set in a future where most of the population have been wiped out, and the rest live in cities under the control of vampires.

Some live in the Fringe, where they refuse to be registered, instead scavenging for food. Allie has lived here, in a small gang, ever since her mother died. One day, whilst leading her gang to a food supply, she is attacked and is about to die. A lone vampire offers her a choice – to die, or to be turned. Choosing the latter, she becomes what she has always hated, a vampire.

Over time, Allie has to come to terms with her decision, learning more about the vampires, and just what it means to be one. It’s a difficult journey, and as a reader you take every step with her. Books become extra special to me when the characters do too, and Allie was written in such a way that I believed in her, and the decisions she made.

The vampires themselves are pretty much traditional, with most being powerful, violent and controlling. There is a hint of a potential romance, but that’s the limit. It’s published as a YA book, but it will appeal to all ages. It’s the first book in a trilogy, which means there’s plenty more to come.. but there’s no frustrating cliff-hanger. In short, I loved this book, and would recommend it to nearly everyone!

Just to add, this one is only 99p on kindle at the moment.

• 1 month later...