The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O' Farrell

I lent my copy to my mother in law, who used to work in one of those places when she was a teenager. She told me a few days ago that she really enjoyed it and it was interesting. I don't think you could get a higher recommendation than a woman who has experienced the main set of the book. [i think it is the main set, as although it is not the prominent one, it is, afterall, what the bok is about, and affects the rest of the book]

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the book but I didn't like it that I wasn't sure what the ending was supposed to mean. I don't like it when I read a book and enjoy it all the way to the end and then I'm confused by the ending and am not sure what happened.

What did the red cord on the ceiling do? Did it unplug some kind of machine that kept her sister alive? Did she kill her sister?

I thought it was a wonderfully written story and it kept me engrossed all the way through. But the ending really threw me. Can anyone help me understand?

• 1 month later...

Just finished this book after starting it this morning. I loved it!! I have so much I want to say but has already been said on this thread, so I wont repeat. I loved both Esme and Iris, I thought Kitty was spineless but did understand that she just wanted to conform and not rock the boat.

Loof ~ The red cord is an emergancy alarm - like they have in hospitals and on trains, yes to your second question.

This book is haunting, suffice to say I am now on the hunt for more by Maggie O'Farrell.

KX

• 2 months later...

I loved the book and found it quite sad as many women in the past will have sadly been institutionalised by their families for no reason. I sympathised and felt for the character of Esme. My only criticisms were that the ending seemed quite rushed and I did not understand the need for the sub plot involving Iris, Alex and Luke. I felt that more time could have been devoted to the character of Esme instead. I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Edited by tbain

• 1 month later...

Finished this recently. Wonderful, page turning read. Second one of this author I have read and is now on my list of favourites. On the odd occasion I got confused with who was narrating in the story, but once I got used to the way it was written I was hooked. I found the ending a bit open ended too, a bit like her last one I read (although I think I know what happened!)