A legend Dies

muggle not

I was fortunate enough to attend a birthday party for Doc Watson about 22 years ago in a little Barbeque Restaurant (Woodlands barbeque) in Hickory, North Carolina. Doc played and sang his songs most of the night. The smalll restaurant was filled mostly with his relatives who came down from the mountains to celebrate with him. Doc won 7 Grammy Awards.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/29/doc-watson-dead-dies_n_1554478.html

Doc Watson Dead: Folk Musician Dies At 89

RALEIGH, N.C. — Doc Watson, the blind Grammy-award winning folk musician whose mountain-rooted sound was embraced by generations and whose lightning-fast style of flatpicking influenced guitarists around the world, died Tuesday at a North Carolina hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman and his manager. He was 89.

Watson died at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, where he was hospitalized recently after falling at his home in Deep Gap, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. He underwent abdominal surgery while in the hospital and had been in critical condition for several days.

Arthel "Doc" Watson's mastery of flatpicking helped make the case for the guitar as a lead instrument in the 1950s and 1960s, when it was often considered a backup for the mandolin, fiddle or banjo. His fast playing could intimidate other musicians, even his own grandson, who performed with him.

Richard Watson said in a 2000 interview with The Associated Press that his grandfather's playing had a humbling effect on other musicians.

"Everybody that's picked with you says you intimidate them, and that includes some of the best," Richard Watson told him.......................read on...........

Although I wasn't aware of his music the fact that my twitter feed lit up with tributes from people like Zakk Wylde and Slash amongst others speaks volumes for the impact he had on modern music.

Watched them all Muggles, he is amazingly fast especially at the end of the first one. Such a talented guy. I love the Three Pickers Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms.

Other well known musicians have stated that when they played with Doc that they felt humbled by his talent. No better flat picker in the world IMO. When we seen him play we sat about 15 feet away from him and it was just absolutely amazing watching him play and sing. When Doc played in North Carolina he was usually accompanied by Jack Lawrence who had a music shop in Charlotte, N.C. and was also a pretty good talent himself. I can't begin to say how much I will miss him and his music.

I urge others to listen to his music on the previous attachment.