Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne

5. Why do you think Phileas Fogg took the bet?

I think he took the bet so that he could keep as an equal to his peers. He was a man quite set in his routine and to be honest I think he would have thought a lot about it before he agreed to the challenge.

6. As time goes by, why does Fix not change his opinion regarding Phileas Fogg?

To be honest I thought that he would have changed his mind. Towards the end of the book when Fogg goes off in search of Passpartout I would have thought that this would have changed his mind be he didnt.

I'm typing on the iPad which makes it difficult for me to format the questions so do forgive me :) I will try and flow my thoughts into the various points!

Philieas Fogg... I did like him, but I preferred Passepartout! That's just a personal preference, I love emotional literary characters that wear their heart on their sleeve. Fogg concealed everything too much for me, was a bit too reasoned and analytical! I think my favourite bit though was his rescue of Aouda, a bit of drama and adventure, but showed another side to his character.

Aouda... Well she proposes to Fogg, and that made me sit up a bit, because I think even now that would be out of character for a passive woman, never mind one in the nineteenth century! For her time, I think she's quite progressive - I'm guessing at the time a woman knowing her way around a pistol would have been controversial - although no doubt explained by India's savagery ;)

As for Fogg's bet - after about India my head was swimming trying to calculate how much he was spending to win the bet. Once I realised he was losing money it was easier to accept he was basically playing for pride. And also probably something to do ;)

I guessed the ending as soon as they arrived in Liverpool, but I guess that was quite near the end (I mean the day thing, it was obvious Fogg and Aouda would end up together as soon as she was introduced.

I really enjoyed this one, nice pick for my first reading circle participation!

7. While reading the book, did you ever think that Phileas Fogg was guilty of theft?

I admit I never thought he was guilty, I always blamed Fix of being too short-sighted, to have never entertained the thought that maybe his reasoning was flawed and his whole theory is un-founded.

7. While reading the book, did you ever think that Phileas Fogg was guilty of theft?

For a while I did, in fact I kind of hoped that it would be left open ended without the real thief being caught. I thought it would be have been a nice touch to leave that extra level of mystery to his character.

8. Was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

I had read this book as a child, and remember having a hard time grasping the concept of different times in different countries, but then took it much at face value. I am glad I read it again, I have now enjoyed the book as the author intended :)

6. As time goes by, why does Fix not change his opinion regarding Phileas Fogg?

I think he was absolutely convinced of Fogg’s guilt at first. So certain that eventually even if he had started to doubt himself he was probably worried about losing face if he admitted he might have got things wrong.

Nope I didn’t think he was guilty at all – I was totally sure he was innocent.

8. Was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn’t realise it was a children’s book until I looked on Wikipedia after reading it – it didn’t feel like one to me, but I guess that’s because of the time it was written. I would definitely recommend this title and thought it was a great choice for book club.