Your Book Activity ~ June 2012

Kylie

Join the club :D I already told chesilbeach I might join her in reading The Joy Luck Club someday (if I don't get to reading the book before chesil, that is), you should totally join us :giggle2:

I'm in aswell then hehe :) I think its a fantastic book!

I finished The Opposite of Fate this morning, and it has been a completely fabulous book to read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. :smile2:

I havent read any of my copy over the weekend as I stupidly left my book at home when I stayed at my boyfriends over the weekend! So I can't wait to pick it up again later :) glad you enjoyed it so much :D

my news - I read two books on my kindle over the weekend Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne and The Virgin Student by the Virgin Student.

I'm now reading Marine at War by M. Micheal.

I've also got three new books

Monday - by Pearl Davey (Kindle freebie)

New Moon by Stephanie Mayer

The Welsh Girl - Peter Ho Davis (thanks Claire :D)

Edited by lauraloves

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read some more of The Children's Book but it's slow going. I'm not sure if the paperback version is very small print, but I seem to take about 4 Kindle pages to get through 1 paperback page according to the page numbering on the Kindle screen! And with a 600+ page paperback, I think it's going to take me a while. Good so far though :)

I'm still reading A Clash of Kings ~ George R.R. Martin, I'm enjoying it but it's slow going.

I've downloaded The Art of Racing in the Rain today after reading good things about it on here. :readingtwo:

I've also got three new books

Monday - by Pearl Davey (Kindle freebie)

New Moon by Stephanie Mayer

The Welsh Girl - Peter Ho Davis (thanks Claire :D)

I read The Welsh Girl a couple of years ago, Laura, and a very good book it was, too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I'm already 100+ pages into 'We Bought A Zoo' by Benjamin Mee and I'm finding this much more insightful and entertaining than the film version. I'm definitely enjoying this so far.

I know I'm supposed to be reading, but instead I fixed up, updated and sorted out my book lists a bit more in my reading thread here! I mainly worked on my series TBR pile o' trouble! :giggle: I think they make up a majority of my books to be read.

Edited by Devi

I've read some more of The Children's Book but it's slow going. I'm not sure if the paperback version is very small print, but I seem to take about 4 Kindle pages to get through 1 paperback page according to the page numbering on the Kindle screen! And with a 600+ page paperback, I think it's going to take me a while. Good so far though :)

I've got it in paperback. (Sadly I gave up after about 200 pages as I just couldn't get into it) and yes, the print is tiny! :)

I'm already 100+ pages into 'We Bought A Zoo' by Benjamin Mee and I'm finding this much more insightful and entertaining than the film version. I'm definitely enjoying this so far.

I haven't seen the film, but it looked a bit shmaltzy. I'd not heard of the book before the film came out, so it's good to hear you're enjoying it as it sounds like my kind of book. :)

I know I'm supposed to be reading, but instead I fixed up, updated and sorted out my book lists a bit more in my reading thread here! I mainly worked on my series TBR pile o' trouble! :giggle: I think they make up a majority of my books to be read.

Sorting out books and lists is always an acceptable alternative to reading! :lol:

Many thanks to those kind people at Divine Chocolate, who've just sent me 12 Penguin Classics.

Oh, and 12 bars of (what else?) ... Divine Chocolate.

Bet you can't make the 12 bars of chocolate last as long as the books :D

I've got it in paperback. (Sadly I gave up after about 200 pages as I just couldn't get into it) and yes, the print is tiny! :)

Ah, that makes sense then, thanks for clarifying that Janet. I'm about 120 pages in now, and I quite like it. I seen lots of comments about it saying that people thought the fairy tales within the book were superfluous - I've read one so far, and it was okay, but I'm wondering why it was there and if it will be revealed later in the story why they have been included, which makes me want to finish it just to find out!

Edited by chesilbeach

I haven't seen the film, but it looked a bit shmaltzy. I'd not heard of the book before the film came out, so it's good to hear you're enjoying it as it sounds like my kind of book. :)

Yes the film was a bit shmaltzy, but I kind of enjoyed that. The film has no shmaltz, but plenty of humour and is really interesting.

Now Geoff, you did read that article all about the evils of sugar didn't you? I don't think you should eat it .. I'll dispose of it for you :D

Still reading Cakes and Ale .. enjoying it but distractions, distractions .. sometimes I wish I lived on a desert island .. but one with a fairly regular ferry service :D

My new work situation has severely curtailed my reading time :(

But I have at last managed to finish All Hell Let Loose, am halfway through Around the World in 80 Days (iBooks) and just started Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry which I am already loving!

Struggling to get through Ian McEwan's Enduring Love, it's not that I don't like it (I think), it's just sooo details and analysing that it just can't be read at speed!

In the post today I received The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown from Waterstone's as one of their free review copies, it sounds intriguing and a little....weird! :P

Finished Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. A wonderful historical novel with magnificent prose and style, gripping action and superb narrative.

Overall - 9/10.

Going to start reading the first book of The Belgariad, Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings.

Many thanks to those kind people at Divine Chocolate, who've just sent me 12 Penguin Classics.

Wow, lucky you! I hope you'll post the titles you received.

I received Shel Silverstein's newest book of previously unpublished poems and drawings, called Every Thing On It. Even with my very limited reading time, I've managed to get a third of the way in. :)

I've downloaded The Art of Racing in the Rain today after reading good things about it on here. :readingtwo:

Wohoo! I hope you'll like it! :smile2:

Cool beans! :)

I've read more of The Stars My Destination and when I'm too tired at night to read that (I need to be focused with that particular book), I'm going to read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami, thanks to Brian who just read it and liked it and reminded me of the copy I have. :cool:

I read The Welsh Girl a couple of years ago, Laura, and a very good book it was, too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

thank you, I can't wait to get around to reading it!

I've not read anything since Sunday :( I've had such a busy week what with work and I'm going away camping for the weekend so ive been sorting out everything for that :(

My new work situation has severely curtailed my reading time :(

But I have at last managed to finish All Hell Let Loose, am halfway through Around the World in 80 Days (iBooks) and just started Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry which I am already loving!

Sorry to hear about work cutting into your reading time, Alex. :friends3: I'm also about half-way through Around the World in 80 Days too (on my Kindle) and also nearly at the end of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Moab... is a brilliant book - I still have The Fry Chronicles to read. Too many books, too little time...

I finished The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather it was an okay read but I'm now feeling like I need something completely different for my next read so I've started Killing Floor by Lee Child.

Wow, lucky you! I hope you'll post the titles you received.

That's typical Kylie - everyone else is going "Oooooh, chocolate!", and you're "What books did you get?" :lol:

Anyway:

Great Expectations, Anna Karenina, Huck Finn, Moby Dick, The Lost Estate (Alain-Fournier - no, me neither :smile: ), Journey's End (R C Sherriff), Diary of a Nobody, Emma, The Woman in White, Gatsby, 1984 and Candide (which has a rather snazzy strip-cartoon style jacket introducing the characters and plot. Rather nice).

And, for the sake of completeness, 2x each of: White chocolate with strawberries, Milk chocolate, Fruit and nut dark chocolate, Dark chocolate with raspberries, Dark chocolate with ginger and orange, and Orange milk chocolate.