Your Book Activity ~ June 2012

Kylie

Had a Waterstone's voucher to spend today so bought -

Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut (as recommended by Noll!)

All These Things I've Done - Gabrielle Zevin (I really enjoyed 'Elsewhere' last year so I'm hoping this will be just as good..

:) :)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think after years of reading Matthew Reilly books I would learn that they are simply un-putdownable once started, but apparently not. I finally decided I would read his latest Scarecrow and the army of thieves about five in the afternoon yesterday, and HAD to stay up and finish it (1:30am), it's been a long time since a book has made me feel this way. It's a ripsnorter of a read, I felt like I'd held my breath for the entire thing - but that's what makes these books great.

I'm going back to the bookbarn tomorrow :D I can't wait to see what I can find.

How great is it that we're all enjoying reading this book together :) I felt the same, Laura, and added all her novels to my wishlist after reading the first chapter :giggle2:

I'm about 300 pages in now, and might trying and fit in another reading session tonight.

I'm so intrigued to read her books now but I'm being good and not buying them . . . yet :P

I'm so pleased that we are all loving the book and I'm jelous that your so far in already! I had to attend my younger brothers 18th birthday party last night and got no reading time at all yesterday :(

I haven't been into Waterstone's for aaaaages, but I popped in today - just for a sniff...

...and came out with Dawn French's A Tiny Bit Marvellous. Well, it was reduced to 99p and it is on my Wish List! :giggle2:

I haven't been into Waterstone's for aaaaages, but I popped in today - just for a sniff...

...and came out with Dawn French's A Tiny Bit Marvellous. Well, it was reduced to 99p and it is on my Wish List! :giggle2:

I've got this one but not read it yet ... is it one for the shelf Janet or are you planning to embark on it soon? Be interested to see what you make of it, I like her so I'm expecting good things .. well I'm expecting to laugh anyway.

I'm hoping to read it fairly soon, but first I need to start this month's Reading Circle book, read my Book Club book and I have a couple of others I'd really like to read too. It will be 'up' the list, but not at the top, so you might get there first! :giggle2:

Got an absolute bargain today, a hardback copy of 'A Simples Life' by Aleksandr Orlov, the Compare The Market meerkat, for €1.50 in my local charity shop! Not a thing wrong with it, and it's a lovely little colour book full of pictures and stories about Aleksandr's ancestors :D

I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird.

A classic and one I hope you are enjoying.

I think The Joy Luck Club will be one of my first purchases after I finish all my TBR books!

Good choice if you do, it is a great read.

I'm working my way through....Friends,Lovers,Chocolate'~Alexander McCall Smith, nice and easy read.

Managed to wrap up Catch-22 by Joseph Heller today. It's taken me a long time to read because of various silly problems, like life, getting in the way, but in some ways I'm glad because it made me savour what was a truly brilliant novel. I wrote a mini-review on my reading thread if anyone's interested, it explains much more passionately how much I enjoyed it and why.

With that finished I've decided to tackle Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment which I'm really looking forward to reading.

You think it took you a long time to read Catch-22, Ben? I started my re-read at the beginning of the year and only finished it last week. :blush2: I was obviously reading it in dribs and drabs, though, and my edition had a stack of essays at the end, which I managed to drag out for a couple of months.

I just came back from book shopping with 17 books! :blush: I got a couple of jack Vance books, a Bernard Cornwell that I was after, a book by Ann Rule and some fiction too! (just to make Frankie happy!) :D

List coming soon.

Edited by Devi

I'm reading The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan, and I'm enjoying it so much that I want to read more of her books now.

Join the club :D I already told chesilbeach I might join her in reading The Joy Luck Club someday (if I don't get to reading the book before chesil, that is), you should totally join us :giggle2:

Had a Waterstone's voucher to spend today so bought -

Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut (as recommended by Noll!)

Frankie approves as well :D

I'm going back to the bookbarn tomorrow :D I can't wait to see what I can find.

Wohoo! :D

I just came back from book shopping with 17 books! :blush: I got a couple of jack Vance books, a Bernard Cornwell that I was after, a book by Ann Rule and some fiction too! (just to make Frankie happy!) :D

:D Off to see if you've posted the list already ->

Managed to wrap up Catch-22 by Joseph Heller today. It's taken me a long time to read because of various silly problems, like life, getting in the way, but in some ways I'm glad because it made me savour what was a truly brilliant novel. I wrote a mini-review on my reading thread if anyone's interested, it explains much more passionately how much I enjoyed it and why.

With that finished I've decided to tackle Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment which I'm really looking forward to reading.

Hi Ben, this has been on my TBR list for ages. Looking forward to your review.

I am also having problems that are getting in the way of my reading and writing! 'Life!'...it's such an inconvenience! I am hoping to finish Apartment 16 today, a brilliant horror novel but with a believable story behind it. Review to follow!

Andie P x

Edited by Andie P

:D Off to see if you've posted the list already ->

You can look now! :D

I ended up with 23 books in the end... thanks to a sneaky bf! Well.... I think I am well and truly ready for winter!! :D

Edited by Devi

After over a month of ploughing through it, I have FINALLY finished reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. This is not a book without flaws, but in general I think that this is a very good read. During reading this book, I couldn't help but think that this would probably translate better on screen than on paper. What does everyone think?

Nevertheless I will be buying the sequel to 'The Passage' when it comes out. Does anyone know when that is likely to be?

Now I am just about to start reading 'We Bought a Zoo' by Benjamin Mee. Having seen the film version of this, I want to read the true account of how one man could resurrect a broken-down zoo.

Nearly halfway through The Song of the Lark & still really enjoying it. I'm expecting to get quite a bit of reading done over the next week as the men of the house have hijacked the tv for the football :readingtwo:

After over a month of ploughing through it, I have FINALLY finished reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. This is not a book without flaws, but in general I think that this is a very good read. During reading this book, I couldn't help but think that this would probably translate better on screen than on paper. What does everyone think?

Nevertheless I will be buying the sequel to 'The Passage' when it comes out. Does anyone know when that is likely to be?

Over here it's coming out in October, but doesn't say on UK Amazon. Here are the links.

http://www.amazon.co...86&sr=8-1-spell and

http://www.amazon.co...ords=The+Twelve

Yes, I hae it pre-ordered already. :D

I believe it's cinematic possibilities are fantastic considering the technological advances that would allow Cronin's creations to be fully realized. Better? I can't think it would be actually better, after all our own imaginations can carry us a long way in that direction and what the CGI guys come up with could be at odds with what we've imagined.

Edited by pontalba

Over here it's coming out in October, but doesn't say on UK Amazon. Here are the links.

http://www.amazon.co...86&sr=8-1-spell and

http://www.amazon.co...ords=The+Twelve

Yes, I hae it pre-ordered already. :D

I believe it's cinematic possibilities are fantastic considering the technological advances that would allow Cronin's creations to be fully realized. Better? I can't think it would be actually better, after all our own imaginations can carry us a long way in that direction and what the CGI guys come up with could be at odds with what we've imagined.

Thanks for that. I might preorder it myself.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS NEXT BIT

I think the fundamental thing, if someone decides to do a film version of 'The Passage' (I have a feeling that someone is making this into a film already) is to get the look of the 'virals' right. Films similar to genre of 'The Passage', like '28 Days Later' got the 'monster' element of the story right, because the make up wasn't too over done and so they were scary. Whoever designed the monsters in 'I am Legend' however, did a terrible job and the CGI elements were laughable and artificial.

Agreed, they have to still look just human enough to think to one's self...........there but for the grace of God, go I.

Started Fifty Shades Darker by E.L James this morning, and to my eyes it is written better than the first. Tighter, more in control (hmmm, is that a pun? :D ) than in Volume One with more interesting outside elements brought into the story.