Your Book Activity ~ June 2012

Kylie

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up Laurie Halse Anderson's 'Speak' last week for 50c in a local charity shop, and I started reading it this evening for something fairly light. (By which I mean, prose-light, it's a Young Adult novel, not content-light, obviously it deals with some heavy themes.)

It's very enjoyable so far, I'm over 90 pages in and still reading!

Because it's Independent Booksellers Week, I made the effort to travel to my favourite indie bookshops which are about an hours drive away, so I only go occasionally. I have broken my no book buying rule and bought three books, however, one is a gift, one is for a challenge I'm preparing for next year, and the other was total impulse buy because it was the sort of book you would not get on the shelves in Waterstone's and would be unlikely to stumble upon on an online booksellers website, but will be put to one side for after I've finished my TBR challenge. I feel no guilt. :D

And nor should you feel guilty, Claire. To a small independent bookseller, customers who come in and spend £30 are a Godsend - it makes a huge difference. Well done!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151235290203858&set=a.10150331066623858.431421.563888857&type=1&theater

Finished Speak. Very good little book (definitely worth more than the 50c I paid for it!), hoping to get the film today to watch later.

Also forgot to mention yesterday I picked up something called 26a by Diana Evans in a shop for €3. I don't really know why it caught my eye (possibly because it won a Orange award and had great reviews from a bunch of newspapers plastered all over the back - I figured at worst it'd be alright!) Haven't started it properly yet - read a couple of pages and it seems like it'll be an interesting read.

Also starting Beyond The Deepwoods by Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart, which is apparently for children but the prose is articulate enough to keep me happy! And so far I'm liking the characters and places, so hopefully I'll wind up happy I bought both the first two in the series!

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Beyond the Deepwoods. I did my typical thing and bought a whole lot of books from the Edge Chronicles (over some time) but I haven't actually read any yet. I trust Michelle and Kell's good opinions, though, and now it looks like I can count on your good opinion too. :)

I get the impression there are quite a few of them! I was lucky enough to get the first two in a charity shop for a euro each, so hopefully I'll stumble across the others cheaply enough over time too!

I've started Barbara Erskine's new book River of Destiny and so far it is living up to her usual good quality. I've been starved of good books lately so looking forward to reading this one.

Read the third book of The Belgariad - Magician's Gambit. Brilliant stuff, certainly picked up the pace a lot.

Also listened to a good few hours of 11.22.63 by Stephen King and it is absolutely amazing so far. Some great nostalgic references to his earlier books including my favourites, Christine and IT.

Going to finally start my first Adam Nevill book - Banquet for the Damned.

Edited by Timstar

I'm completely in love with Beyond The Deepwoods, and can say with absolute sincerity that I regret not making these books a part of my teen years. I knew who Paul Stewart was when I was 10, I read one of his other books and it's still one of my favourite childhood books. The first Edge Chronicle book came out when I was about 11, and I can just imagine my 11 year old self reading this book and loving it in a way I now can't as an adult. I've known about these books for years, but just never gotten around to them. WHY?!

I also noticed Michelle INTERVIEWED Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart three years ago, when the final book came out.

Where have I been all these years?!

Ooh .. my 'must read' alarm has gone off :D

I thought you had read it, its brilliant I loved it too.

Downladed 8 or 9 books for my holidays yesterday including Jo Nesbo's -The Phantom and the third part of Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series....very excited must remember not to start until I am at least in the airport at the crack of dawn tommorrow.