Your Book Activity ~ June 2012

Kylie

Started Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd this morning :)

For the first time in ages, the Kindle Daily Deal is one that might have tempted me to break my current veto on book buying - If Nobody Speaks Of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor - but fortunately, OH has a paperback copy on the bookshelf, so if I do want to read it at some point, I can just borrow his! :lol:

Edited by chesilbeach

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finished Shatter and moved on to The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

I do like the title Sofia .. although lemon cake always makes me particularly happy :D .. perhaps, in this case, it has a connection with a sad event or something. Hope you enjoy :smile:

I'm really struggling with The Quest for Anna Klein, which is a shame since I loved Red Leaves by the same author. It's not poorly written or anything, it's just that the subject matter doesn't interest me at all. I don't care at all about Anna Klein, or trying to find out what kind of person she is. I hate giving up on books, but I'm 40% though and all of it has been a struggle. :blink:

Finished reading The Ritual by Adam Nevill. Brilliant book...review to follow.

Now, time to stop being distracted and start some serious writing!

Andie P x

I do like the title Sofia .. although lemon cake always makes me particularly happy :D .. perhaps, in this case, it has a connection with a sad event or something. Hope you enjoy :smile:

I'm actually hoping there's a recipe in there somewhere :character0104:

Esther - The Immortal Rules might be good for you ailing mojo - and last time I looked, it was only 99p on kindle! ;)

Thanks Michelle, I'll have a look at that. I need to do something, I haven't had the greatest year mojo wise lol

I feel like I should say 'thank you', but I'm not thankful for you being jealous! So I'll just do this instead -> :D

I'm about 4 chapters into Miss Peregrine now, and it's a great read and hard to put down, which is just the kind of book I need right now.

I also received Wendy Jones' The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals in the mail.

:D for :D I'm happy you are enjoying it!

The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals. What a fantastically curious title :D What's it like, what's it about, where did you get the idea of ordering the title?

I've received my winnings from the contest I entered :D

The Coldest Night-Robert Olmstead

Damage Control-John Gilstrap

The Family Corleone-Edward Falco

In The Garden Of Beasts-Erik Larson

Lehrter Station-David Downing

Man-Made: A Stupid Quest For Masculinity-Joel Stein

On Par: The Everyday Golfer's Survival Guide-Bill Pennington

One Shot at Forever: A Small Town, an Unlikely Coach, and a Magical Baseball Season-Chris Ballard

Operation Napoleon-Arnaldur Indridason

To The Last Breath: A Memoir of Going to Extremes-Francis Slakey

I haven't actually heard any of the titles before except for the In The Garden of Beasts, maybe, but still, that's a great prize! :D Enjoy!

I've finally finished The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan and have started I Know You Got Soul by Clarkson.

I've also ordered The Complete Polysyllbic Spree by Nick Hornby.

I can't wait to read your review on the book! Also, I hope you like the Hornby book, just like chesilbeach, I wrote down maybe a dozen book titles off the book that I added to my wishlist :giggle:

Visited the charity shop today & came out with

Running With Scissors Augusten Burroughs Whoop Whoop!!!....What a find

Madame Bovary Gustav Flaubert

Yay for Running with Scissors! :smile2:

I'm going to continue reading The Regulators, I really hope I can read a massive chunk of it tonight. I've been so busy the last three days I haven't really had time for any reading.

Have to give up on The Quest for Anna Klein. I tried reading it again, and after a few pages realised I was thinking about other things and couldn't remember a single thing I'd read. :thud:

I'm going to start Tune In Tokyo: The Gaijin Diaries which looks to be a bit lighter and easier.

After just finishing Torn by Cat Clarke I am now going to start Torn by David Massey, an early copy I was lucky to receive from Waterstone's this week! I seem to have been reading a lot of more YA books since my children have got older, which is great as it means I can decide if the books are suitable for the or not... It has an interesting synopsis -

Afghanistan. In the heat and dust, young British army medic Elinor Nielson watches an Afghan girl walk into a hail of bullets. But when she runs to help, Ellie finds her gone. Who is she? And what's happened to her? What Ellie discovers makes her question everything she believes in \- even her feelings for the American lieutenant who takes her side.

The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals. What a fantastically curious title :D What's it like, what's it about, where did you get the idea of ordering the title?

I think I first heard of it when I read a view in a newsletter from an online bookshop.

The blurb reads:

In 1924, in the Welsh village of Narberth, undertaker Wilfred Price proposes to a girl he barely knows at a picnic. Almost instantly he knows he has made made a mistake - he does not love her. He thinks it will be easy to extricate himself, but a chance meeting at a funeral and the revelation of a long-held secret complicates his world beyond recognition.

I think it will be similar to books such as Mr Rosenblum's List and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I'm pretty sure the review I read even mentioned at least one of these books. :)

I think I first heard of it when I read a view in a newsletter from an online bookshop.

The blurb reads:

In 1924, in the Welsh village of Narberth, undertaker Wilfred Price proposes to a girl he barely knows at a picnic. Almost instantly he knows he has made made a mistake - he does not love her. He thinks it will be easy to extricate himself, but a chance meeting at a funeral and the revelation of a long-held secret complicates his world beyond recognition.

I think it will be similar to books such as Mr Rosenblum's List and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I'm pretty sure the review I read even mentioned at least one of these books. :)

Hm, the blurb doesn't sound as interesting as I thought it might be, I was hoping for something macabre, maybe :giggle2: But if those two titles are mentioned in context with the novel, I will definitely add it to my wishlist, thanks! :smile2: I hope you enjoy the novel!

Got a few more books from eBay today.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

Yay for Dexter!! :smile2:

Dragonsinger and The White Dragon - Anne McCaffrey

I can't wait to see what you think of these, Anne McCaffrey was recommended to me recently by a friend.

Because it's Independent Booksellers Week, I made the effort to travel to my favourite indie bookshops which are about an hours drive away, so I only go occasionally. I have broken my no book buying rule and bought three books, however, one is a gift, one is for a challenge I'm preparing for next year, and the other was total impulse buy because it was the sort of book you would not get on the shelves in Waterstone's and would be unlikely to stumble upon on an online booksellers website, but will be put to one side for after I've finished my TBR challenge. I feel no guilt. :D

Yay for Dexter!! :smile2:

I've never read any or seen the series, just had it recommended many times.

I can't wait to see what you think of these, Anne McCaffrey was recommended to me recently by a friend.

Me neither! I'll let you know.

Because it's Independent Booksellers Week, I made the effort to travel to my favourite indie bookshops which are about an hours drive away, so I only go occasionally. I have broken my no book buying rule and bought three books, however, one is a gift, one is for a challenge I'm preparing for next year, and the other was total impulse buy because it was the sort of book you would not get on the shelves in Waterstone's and would be unlikely to stumble upon on an online booksellers website, but will be put to one side for after I've finished my TBR challenge. I feel no guilt. :D

:D I can't and won't blame you, and I'm loving your guilt-free attitude! :cool:

I've never read any or seen the series, just had it recommended many times.

We have a small-ish fanbase here on BCF, I hope you enjoy the novel and will then join our ranks ;) I'd definitely recommend the TV series as well!

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I love it!

I'm loving that you're loving the book, and I'm loving how the book seems to suit your mojo and it's going so well :smile2: