A Reading List to Squawk About (or not)

Squawk

Ah OK I decide to have a look at what I have read completely, I hope I can remember them.

Have Been Read

Burmese Days - George Orwell (90%)

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky (89%)

The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham (87%)

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller (85%)

Keep the Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell (83%)

Coming Up For Air - George Orwell (81%)

Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell (80%)

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald (80%)

A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (79%)

Cup of Gold - John Steinbeck (79%)

Decline and Fall - Evelyn Waugh (78%)

Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell (76%)

First Men in the Moon - H.G. Wells (74%)

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (68%)

The Double - Fyodor Dostoevsky (67%)

The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad (66%)

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood (42%)

In Process of Reading

Dubliners - James Joyce

War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy

To Be Read

Oscar and Lucinda - Peter Carey

The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoevsky

New Grub Street - George Gissing

The Midwich Cuckoos and Chocky - John Wyndham

I don't know what normally goes on in these threads, but I'd really appreciate some suggestions from you lovely people. :D

Hey Squawk :D

The best thing to do, I reckon, is have a quick look at some (if not all!) the others' reading blogs on here and you can get some ideas of how you might like to lay your blog-thread out.

The majority are for the current year, but you can do whatever you can possibly do - the choice is yours!

You'll often see 'summaries' on the first post (usually lists) of what people have read so far (often with marks out of ten or a sentence on their thoughts), what they're currently reading, their To Be Read lists, any books they're interested in and want to make a note of etc etc...

These posts are usually edited quite frequently as you add books to different lists.

It's entirely up to you!

Hope that helps and wasn't too confusing!

Ooh, you've got some good'uns on those lists, Squawk! I notice you have several by the same authors - do you often find yourself reading the entire back-catalogue of an author once you've enjoyed one of their books? (I know I do!). If you liked Day of the Triffids, I can heartily recommend Wyndham's other work - I especially loved The Midwich Cuckoos and Chocky if you haven't already tried them (or re-read them - they're worth it! :D).

Oh yes I do tend to do that. What is worse though is when I start to become a fanboy. :D

Oh and yes I absolutely love Day of the Triffids. Will add that one to THE List!

And to reply to Polka:

I'm not currently reading anything (yes I know a disgrace) because of work, but I will have a go at giving the ones I read a good summary in the future. :D

Hi Squawk! Just love the title of this thread! LOL

I am a terror for not keeping up to date with my thread, but really it doesn't matter, cos the main function is to get ideas and post ideas so if you are a list compiler, compile away(that sounds vaguely rude!!:D ), or, if you like to list and review, then that's great too. Just do what you feel compelled to do (within reason, of course).

Pp

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes John Wyndham is an excellent author.

We read the Chrysalids in school, though I think that might have been a short story. I read half the midwich cuckoos and its excellent but to my shame I didnt finish it (I am getting better at finishing things I start!) and I ended up watching the film (The village of the damned, with Christopher Reeve) to find out what happened.

Maybe I should give Chocky a try...

• 2 weeks later...

OK hi again.

So I finished the first book of this Summer's read for me. Decline and Fall a rather funny book and well worth a quick read. Just generally what I thought of the book is that there are some great characters in it and some really strange farcical parts, but there isn't really anything for somebody looking for a juicy story with a big ending. It gives the impression of a dry hump, which I think is intentional of course.

Don't know if anyone else has read this book by Evelyn Waugh, more than welcome to comment if you have. I gave it quite a modest score as well. Yes, should mention added percentage scores for whatever reason...

And so I must return to the world of literature for the next book, good day! ;)

EDIT: Oh yes and still would love some more suggestions, just anything throw it at me people!

• 2 weeks later...

Joseph Conrad - Secret Agent (1907):

Reminded me a lot of Crime & Punishment in a way, may have just been because it was translated and etc. But still with the (

murder

) it had a similar ring to it. Liked the book, some great bits in it that made me smile, but really didn't like the main character. I mean not dislike just general apathy really.

On to Dubliners now and then *gulp* War & Peace...help. B)