The Other Poppy's Books 2012

poppy

Oh .. I'm so proud of you :friends0: .. I do think us poppy's have THE best taste :D I'm so glad you liked it, not everybody does. I hope you will love The Pursuit of Love just as much (I haven't read any others of Nancy's .. I must put that right) The Mitford Girls is brilliant too but quite involved .. can you renew? You must watch the drama (oh, I've just realised you might not be able to get it there and mine would be the wrong region for you oh bother!! .. anyway it is an amalgamation of the two stories .. linked together by Fanny as she is in both stories .. it worked marvellously actually and the cast is brilliant). They are a fascinating family and well worth reading about but once you start you'll be looking out for the letters and everything .. it's a one-way Mitford money pit :D

Just looked up the TV series ....is that the one with Alan Bates and Celia Imrie??? Oh my goodness, I've just GOT to see that. I love Celia and Alan Bates would be a brilliant Uncle Matthew (isn't he such a character? Just read about the entrenching tool :D) Will check out the local video store. Thanks Poppyshake :friends0:

I might have to read The Mitford Girls at a later date. A friend read it first (she gave up, found all the names and nicknames too confusing) and it's already on it's second renewal.

Somebody can have my Mitford book after me......or I could cement it outside my front door as a step, it being about 6 inches thick...

So sharing and caring Vod :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

- looks interesting and I may look it up at the library. Glad to hear that you got a kindle, love mine and it is wonderful being able to get a book in 1 or 2 minutes, but, you need to be careful and not get carried away. :)

You also gave me an idea on a re-read of The Hobbit....may also give that a try.

Glad to hear that you got a kindle, love mine and it is wonderful being able to get a book in 1 or 2 minutes, but, you need to be careful and not get carried away. :)

Tell me about it!! I have become a very impetuous buyer overnight. But books are really expensive here, the kindle versions are way cheaper. And often the library doesn't have the books I want, if i order them and they are rentals it can almost cost as much. This way I have them for ever. I am going show self-control though and finish a book before I buy the next one :D

Have you read anything by Neil Gaiman before? I think you'd really enjoy Stardust.

Tell me about it!! I have become a very impetuous buyer overnight. But books are really expensive here, the kindle versions are way cheaper. And often the library doesn't have the books I want, if i order them and they are rentals it can almost cost as much. This way I have them for ever. I am going show self-control though and finish a book before I buy the next one :D

Have you read anything by Neil Gaiman before? I think you'd really enjoy Stardust.

This will be my first read of Neil Gaiman. the write-up on Amazon looked interesting so i think I will enjoy the book. I am about to finish my current read and will probably start Coraline tonight, if I get off the forum soon. :)

Just looked up the TV series ....is that the one with Alan Bates and Celia Imrie??? Oh my goodness, I've just GOT to see that. I love Celia and Alan Bates would be a brilliant Uncle Matthew (isn't he such a character? Just read about the entrenching tool :D) Will check out the local video store. Thanks Poppyshake :friends0:

Yes, that's the one .. and words can't express just how brilliant Alan Bates is as Uncle Matthew :) His is the star performance .. though Celia Imrie is fantastic as Aunt Sadie as well. Also phenomenal is Sheila Gish as Lady Montdore. The three girls (Fanny, Linda & Polly) are all brilliantly played too. I hope you can find it .. it is a bit tricky to get hold of. They do stick quite closely to the books but there are changes (to help them combine the two) but it was so good that I forgave them that :D

I might have to read The Mitford Girls at a later date. A friend read it first (she gave up, found all the names and nicknames too confusing) and it's already on it's second renewal.

I can understand that .. there is an awful lot to take on board and I remember the first few chapters being hard work .. it got a lot easier though so, if you ever do get around to it, stick with it .. it will start making sense. I bought it for my niece and she loved it so much she then bought it for others :)

Started reading The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford which I was thoroughly enjoying, I think it may be even funnier than Love in a Cold Climate.

But The Mitford Girls (biography by Mary Lovell) was sitting there, mocking me, so ...... I just had to start reading it. I'm not finding this a difficult read at all, in fact I'm having trouble putting it down! Fascinating stuff and interesting to see where Nancy got so many ideas from for her books. But the more I read about her, the less I like Nancy, she has a really nasty streak even though you have to admire her wicked sense of humour.

Edited by poppy

The Pursuit of Love is my favourite of the two .. but only slightly :D Nancy wasn't all that nice it's true .. she wasn't a very warm person. My fave of all the girls was always Decca .. but she could also be a ***** at times. Glad you're enjoying it .. hold on to your coat tails .. there are some shocking events to come.

Hi Poppy & Poppy

I read a Mitford book which had both books in one -- The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate . It's been seversal years ago,but I remember highly enjoying them . I don't know a blooming thing about the author,but I sure liked those books . Quite funny ,weren't they ?

The Pursuit of Love is my favourite of the two .. but only slightly :D Nancy wasn't all that nice it's true .. she wasn't a very warm person. My fave of all the girls was always Decca .. but she could also be a ***** at times. Glad you're enjoying it .. hold on to your coat tails .. there are some shocking events to come.

Woh! Haven't got there yet, but can't wait :o

Hi Poppy & Poppy

I read a Mitford book which had both books in one -- The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate . It's been seversal years ago,but I remember highly enjoying them . I don't know a blooming thing about the author,but I sure liked those books . Quite funny ,weren't they ?

Hi Julie :smile: They certainly are very funny and witty, they're probably going to be up there with my favourite books now.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Mitford Girls by Mary S. Lovell, what a fascinating family. It's hard to believe that from a family of seven, one daughter was Hitler's girlfriend, one was married to Oswell Mosley( leader of the British Fascist Union), one was an ardent communist and civil rights activist and one had a long-running affair with a close associate of de Gaulle. This lead their mother to asking in exasperation, "Oh, why do all my daughters fall for dictators?'

My overall opinion is that they were a very intelligent family and several were very good writers, but although at times I felt sympathy for them, I couldn't particularly warm to them.

The person I felt the most sympathy for was Sydney, their mother. Most of her children seemed to have a chip on their shoulders about her, particularly because they were mostly home tutored and not allowed to attend school (father feared they would all end up playing hockey and developing fat calves). Despite that, several had very successful writing and business careers, so the education they received at home was certainly not deficient. They also accused her of being cold and detached, but she was the first to rush to their help when anything went wrong in their lives (which it frequently did) and didn't retaliate to most of the critisism they directed towards her, because she didn't want to lose touch with them. She had a lot to contend with in her life.... the attempted suicide of one daughter; divorces; the death of a son; her daughters association and adverse publicity about their friendship with Hitler; imprisonment of one daughter; and several estrangements. In later life, she and her husband largely lived apart due to their differing political opinions.

But I found it all thoroughly engrossing and for anyone who enjoys reading biographies, the Mitfords are an astonishing family.

I'm now going back to read Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love. After reading their biography, you can see where so much of her writing material came from.

I was a little disappointed with The Pursuit of Love, I couldn't really connect with the main character Linda, at all. Although there was some of Nancy's very witty writing, it didn't captivate me in the same way Love In a Cold Climate did. It may be I just wasn't in the mood after reading so much of the family's antics, I'm not sure.

I've now just finished reading A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I highly recommend this book. A very sensitively written book from the perspective of Conor, a 13 year old boy, whose mother has cancer. I don't often cry when reading books, but this book is very moving. I think the main theme would be the fear of loss and how the monster helps Conor come to terms with what he is experiencing. A book I think everyone, young and old, should read. The book includes quite striking black and white illustrations of Conor's monster.

post-3715-0-12775200-1350719881_thumb.jpg

The one thing I can't seem to remember (I may have asked people this before) is whether Pursuit of Love and the 'sequel' are biographies or novels. Or a mix of both. (Although if the main character is called Linda, perhaps it's a novel, then?).

A Monster Calls seems to be the 'it' book to read here on the forum :D I've heard so many great things about it, it cannot be a bad read.

The one thing I can't seem to remember (I may have asked people this before) is whether Pursuit of Love and the 'sequel' are biographies or novels. Or a mix of both. (Although if the main character is called Linda, perhaps it's a novel, then?).

A Monster Calls seems to be the 'it' book to read here on the forum :D I've heard so many great things about it, it cannot be a bad read.

Love in a Cold Climate and Pursuit of Love are both novels, but if you read Nancy's biography you can see clearly where she gets many of her characters and events from. Linda, I think is based on herself. She had a long standing affair with a French man (de Gaulle's Chief of Staff) and although it doesn't follow her exact life, there are many similarities. She uses her family and friends, not always very flatteringly, freely in her stories. They really are very funny, she has a wicked sense of humour.

I think it would be a pretty rare person who wasn't moved by A Monster Calls. It's not a long book, and once you start it's pretty compulsive (started one night, finished it in the morning).

• 3 weeks later...

Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt.

A story based on Winston Churchill's depression which he referred to as his 'Black Dog' and who takes on the form of a real live, talking dog.

A most unusual book, based on a premise that should make it unbelievable, but which works very well. At times very funny, but with an undercurrent of unease running throughout. I disliked 'Black Pat' intensely, I didn't find him the least bit charming as some suggest, but loved the other characters, they were remarkably well drawn.

A very good read.

Love your review of Mr Chartwell poppy :) 'Black Pat' gave me the creeps too and you're right the book does give you a feeling of unease as he begins to get a grip. It was great though, so unusual as you say but believable. Glad you liked it, be interesting to see what comes next from her.

'Black Pat' gave me the creeps too and you're right the book does give you a feeling of unease as he begins to get a grip.

I read several reviews where they described Black Pat as 'charismatic', 'seductive' and having 'endearing qualities'. The only thing I wanted to do with him was push him off a very high cliff with a bulldozer (I'd need the bulldozer to move him, I reckon).

I understand that depression is something that you can become resigned to but there is nothing seductive or endearing about it. Black Pat's dark humour was very funny though.

Edited by poppy

Have you always had 'the other poppy' in your title poppy?! or am I going mad? :D

Mwaaahahaha I could really mess with you here :cool:

But you're right, I have changed it. I kept thinking 'Poppy's Paperbacks' was my thread (I'm easily confused) and thought maybe other people might get mixed up too. You write such wonderful reviews Poppyshake, I don't want them to be terribly disappointed when they read mine and think you're slipping. :giggle2:

Mwaaahahaha I could really mess with you here :cool:

But you're right, I have changed it. I kept thinking 'Poppy's Paperbacks' was my thread (I'm easily confused) and thought maybe other people might get mixed up too. You write such wonderful reviews Poppyshake, I don't want them to be terribly disappointed when they read mine and think you're slipping. :giggle2:

As if! .. they would be rather proud of me for writing some decent reviews at last .. but I admit I have clicked on yours before and almost written a review on it :D Next year I will put the 'shake' in .. and that will sort it out. Oh, next year's not that far off is it? I will need to start working on my lists (see if I can't cook the books a bit and make it seem like 2012 was a much better reading year than it was .. might try linking to other peoples reviews too .. that should clear the backlog :giggle2:)

.. but I admit I have clicked on yours before and almost written a review on it :D

Don't for a minute think I'll complain if you accidentally put one of your reviews in my list, Poppyshake. Would lift the whole standard :D

Jumping the Queue by Mary Wesley.

I picked this up at a library sale, it's one I've read before, but so long ago, I'd forgotten the story. This was Mary Wesley's first novel and it's got her rather wicked sense of humour throughout. I love Mary's characters, they are unconventional and rather eccentric. This one is about a middle-aged woman whose husband has died and she decides she is going to have a final picnic and then swim off into the sunset. She gets thwarted in her attempt, by a man who is on the run from the police for killing his mother.

• 3 weeks later...

Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry

I'm a big fan of Stephen Fry's, he's a very intelligent, funny man. But this is a real warts and all account of the first 20 years of his life and at times I felt rather uncomfortable with just how much he bared his soul. It takes a great deal of courage (and quite a lot of self-absorption) to be as honest and detailed about yourself as Stephen is in this book. There were quite a few times I really felt, 'Too much detail.'

I think I would find his revelations as an adult far easier and less painful to read than those of a confused and rebellious child who felt so different from everyone else.

But his writing is so witty and clever. You can imagine just how much he would have annoyed his teachers with his verbal gymnastics.

Fawcett also shared with me a passion for words and we would trawl the dictionary together and simply howl and wriggle with delight at the existence of such splendours as ‘strobile’ and ‘magniloquent’, daring and double-daring each other to use them to masters in lessons without giggling. ‘Strobile’ was a tricky one to insert naturally into conversation, since it means a kind of fir-cone, but magniloquent I did manage.

I, being I, went always that little bit too far of course. There was one master who had berated me in a lesson for some tautology or other. He, as what human being wouldn’t when confronted with a lippy verbal show-off like me, delighted in seizing on opportunities to put me down. He was not, however, an English teacher, nor was he necessarily the brightest man in the world.

‘So, Fry. “A lemon yellow colour” is precipitated in your test tube is it? I think you will find, Fry, that we all know that lemons are yellow and that yellow is a colour. Try not to use three words where one will do. Hm?’

I smarted under this, but got my revenge a week or so later.

‘Well, Fry? It’s a simple enough question. What is titration?’

‘Well, sir…, it’s a process whereby…’

‘Come on, come on. Either you know or you don’t.’

‘Sorry sir, I am anxious to avoid pleonasm, but I think…’

‘Anxious to avoid what?’

‘Pleonasm, sir.’

‘And what do you mean by that?’

‘I’m sorry, sir. I meant that I had no wish to be sesquipedalian.’

‘What?’

‘Sesquipedalian, sir.’

‘What are you talking about?’

I allowed a note of confusion and bewilderment to enter my voice. ‘I didn’t want to be sesquipedalian, sir! You know, pleonastic.’

‘Look, if you’ve got something to say to me, say it. What is this pleonastic nonsense?’

‘It means sir, using more words in a sentence than are necessary. I was anxious to avoid being tautologous, repetitive or superfluous.’

‘Well why on earth didn’t you say so?’

‘I’m sorry, sir. I’ll remember in future, sir.’ I stood up and turned round to face the whole form, my hand on my heart. ‘I solemnly promise in future to help sir out by using seven words where one will do. I solemnly promise to be as pleonastic, prolix and sesquipedalian as he could possibly wish.’

It is a mark of the man’s fundamental good nature that he didn’t whip out a knife there and then, slit my throat from ear to ear and trample on my body in hobnailed boots. The look he gave me showed that he came damned close to considering the idea.

And describing one of his father's inventions ....

The machinery resembled the mongrel love-child of a cinema projector, a steam-hammer and a Toblerone production line, all put together on a day when Heath Robinson had thought it might be fun to try hallucinogenic mushrooms for breakfast.
Edited by poppy

• 3 weeks later...