The Other Poppy's Books 2012

poppy

Mere Christianity by CS Lewis

Although I've read several biographies about Lewis, and recently read a couple of his Narnia books, I have never read any of his theological works, mainly because I thought they would be rather high-brow.

I was quite surprised to discover he wrote in a very easy to read style and found his arguments for the existence of God to be logical and quite profound. He has a delightful way of writing that feels almost like he's taking a walk with you and having a friendly conversation. There is nothing preachy in his style but he comes up with the most thought-provoking ideas.

Here are a few quotes

“As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on things and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down you cannot see something that is above you.”

“And out of that hopeless attempt has come nearly all that we call human history—money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery—the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.”

“If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.”

“If you are a Christian you do not have to believe that all the other religions are simply wrong all through. If you are an atheist you do have to believe that the main point in all the religions of the whole world is simply one huge mistake.”

“Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.”

He is one of those rare people of great intelligence who can explain things in a simple, easy to understand way.

Although written in the early 40's, I didn't find the writing at all dated.

Edited by poppy

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Loved this book and found Christopher, the main character, delightful and endearing. Christopher has Asperger's and the world is seen through his eyes. He completely lost me on most of his mathmatical charts and puzzles but it is intriguing to see things from the point of view of someone with autism.

Quite apart from being a compulsive read, it shows just what people with autism have to deal with, and will perhaps make others more understanding of this condition.

We had the most abysmal case here recently where a young man was arrested and jailed for stealing an old light-bulb (he has a fascination for old electrical things) from an old deserted warehouse, that had been declared unsafe after an earthquake. Although he is autistic and the warehouse owners were not in the slightest bit interested in seeing him charged (the warehouse had been abandoned well before the earthquake) and a huge public outcry, the police insisted on taking him to court. They were determined to make him 'The face of looting', after the earthquake. Eventually they dropped charges, but it was quite a battle.

Perhaps a copy of Mark Haddon's book should be given to our police as an educational tool!!

Here's a link if anyone is interested

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/5484757/All-charges-dropped-against-autistic-man

“If you are a Christian you do not have to believe that all the other religions are simply wrong all through. If you are an atheist you do have to believe that the main point in all the religions of the whole world is simply one huge mistake.”

“Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.”

He is one of those rare people of great intelligence who can explain things in a simple, easy to understand way.

Interesting review poppy - I particularly like these two quotes and what you've summed up about him.

I'm not sure I'll pick up this book - at least not yet - but its nice to know a bit more of the man who created Narnia.

The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon

I read this a few years ago, poppy - and it made me think a lot but what is true and what is not. And how most of us say "everything is not just black and white" - there's so much in between. It made me ask, is there really so much in between, or is all that because we can't see clearly, or don't want to?

Christopher clearly knew what was right and what was wrong. He saw things exactly for what they were - without being susceptible to the interpretation, excuses and stories the rest of the civilization builds around things. Which I think is high-lighted by the name of the book.

It was an incident (of the dog) which was brushed off by the people in his life - and not taken seriously enough. But to Christopher - things didn't add up - it was wrong - and this mind-set of his ultimately helped him uncover bigger truths.

He reminded me of a man I met once on a trek in the mountains. This man lived a stark and solitary life and was a hermit. He was a simple person - with no doubts about what is true and what isn't it - not in a narrow-minded or stubborn way - but in a clear, child-like and matter-of-fact way.

It made me wonder if people with Aspergers/autism - weren't more spiritual and true than the rest of us.

Bree

I read this a few years ago, poppy - and it made me think a lot but what is true and what is not. And how most of us say "everything is not just black and white" - there's so much in between. It made me ask, is there really so much in between, or is all that because we can't see clearly, or don't want to?

Christopher clearly knew what was right and what was wrong. He saw things exactly for what they were - without being susceptible to the interpretation, excuses and stories the rest of the civilization builds around things. Which I think is high-lighted by the name of the book.

It was an incident (of the dog) which was brushed off by the people in his life - and not taken seriously enough. But to Christopher - things didn't add up - it was wrong - and this mind-set of his ultimately helped him uncover bigger truths.

He reminded me of a man I met once on a trek in the mountains. This man lived a stark and solitary life and was a hermit. He was a simple person - with no doubts about what is true and what isn't it - not in a narrow-minded or stubborn way - but in a clear, child-like and matter-of-fact way.

It made me wonder if people with Aspergers/autism - weren't more spiritual and true than the rest of us.

They certainly perceive the world in a different way from other people. Many live in a high anxiety state because of sensory overload, hence the melt-downs you often see in children with autism. It's also often quite difficult for them to read social situations and gauge people's facial expressions. There is a very wide range of behavioral and developmental disorders associated with autism so you can't generalise too much.

What is intriguing about Aspergers ( once known by the rather insulting 'idiot savant') is the sometimes brilliance they possess in a certain area. In Christopher's case it was mathematics.

Your observation that people with Aspergers/autism are more spiritual and true, may well be true Bree. From my experience they have much to offer and teach us, as well as being delightfully original.

Edited by poppy

But what a terrible story about the poor autistic man and the lightbulb. :( That was a very poor move by the police.

It was shocking how he was treated. He was left in prison for 11 days which absolutely traumatised him, when he was released he and his partner were not allowed to be together (even though his partner only followed him into the building to make sure he was OK and had warned him not to go in). Arie went to visit the elderly warehouse owners to apologise and they invited him into their home and did not want charges to proceed.

At least it has raised awareness of autism and Aspergers in NZ and hopefully encouraged people to be more compassionate and less judgmental.

There is a very wide range of behavioral and developmental disorders associated with autism so you can't generalise too much.

You're right poppy, I have only looked at one aspect of it and generalised based on that.

The few people I know seemed incapable of deceit, and very clear and startlingly original in their thoughts.

You're right poppy, I have only looked at one aspect of it and generalised based on that.

Sorry Bree, I didn't mean you generalising, I meant me. I didn't want to lump all the symptoms together because I doubt if anyone is typical. And I also meant that there is a big range in functioning, from very low to extremely high.

The few people I know seemed incapable of deceit, and very clear and startlingly original in their thoughts.

And this has been my experience too. Although one young lad I know is an amazingly deft pickpocket. After a trip to the cafe, he practically has to be turned upside down and frisked for drinking glasses, people's keys, wallets ..... you name it! He thinks it's hilarious, he's like a little magpie :D

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed Mere Christianity when I read it Poppy. I remember being quite impressed with it. I'm probably overdue a re-read. I'd also like to read some of his other theology books.

What whetted my interest about this book was a comment by his stepson, that Lewis considered pride to be the greatest sin. Not the natural pride we feel in doing something well, but the sort of pride that makes us think we are better than others.

This is an excerpt that I found very thought provoking

http://www.btinternet.com/~a.ghinn/greatsin.htm

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

I really enjoyed this book, I loved the eccentricities of the family and the humour. Cassandra, the narrator, writes in a delightful way and is a very lovable character. It is a story of first love and at times there was a little much teenage angst for me, but it was in context and it's a book I would happily read again. I'm shortly going to read a biography about Dodie Smith as she sounds a very interesting person.

The Help ~ Kathryn Stockett

A really excellent book, finished it at 2am this morning, just couldn't put it down.

Hard to believe that such rascist laws still existed in the 60's in southern USA. And the repercussions if you broke them were often horrific.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

I really enjoyed this book, I loved the eccentricities of the family and the humour. Cassandra, the narrator, writes in a delightful way and is a very lovable character. It is a story of first love and at times there was a little much teenage angst for me, but it was in context and it's a book I would happily read again. I'm shortly going to read a biography about Dodie Smith as she sounds a very interesting person.

Yay .. I'm glad you enjoyed it Poppy :smile: it's one of my favourites. I've read Dodie's biog 'Dear Dodie' and enjoyed it too .. she was a bit of an oddball :D

The Help ~ Kathryn Stockett

A really excellent book, finished it at 2am this morning, just couldn't put it down.

Hard to believe that such rascist laws still existed in the 60's in southern USA. And the repercussions if you broke them were often horrific.

Another great book .. oh the chocolate pie!! I laughed about that for ages :DThe laws have changed which is brilliant but whether the attitudes have I'm not so sure .. I hope so .. perhaps I watch too many Louis Theroux programmes etc.

Edited by poppyshake

The Help

Another great book .. oh the chocolate pie!! I laughed about that for ages :DThe laws have changed which is brilliant but whether the attitudes have I'm not so sure .. I hope so .. perhaps I watch too many Louis Theroux programmes etc.

Have you seen the movie Kay? There are some wonderful characters in the book and I'm just wondering if the film captures them in the same way.

Have you seen the movie Kay? There are some wonderful characters in the book and I'm just wondering if the film captures them in the same way.

I haven't .. something put me off (loving the book so much I think and not wanting to be disappointed.) I've heard good things about it though .. VF saw it I know and liked it. I haven't ruled it out .. maybe when it's premiered on TV.

I definitely want to read The Help, but while I haven't been buying any new books, my wishlist is growing so I think it's going to be a while before I get to it. It's a tad annoying as well, as I want to read the book before I watch the film, but Emma Stone is one of my favourite actresses, and I really want to see it!

I have the book in my TBR stack, hope to get to it soon(ish).

Regarding present day attitudes etc in the South (USA). Probably one accurate barometer of conditions can be noted in the large and increasing number of bi-racial couples that are here. When I was a child in the '50's we didn't see that at all, naturally because of the Draconian laws in place at the time. Even in the '60's it was unusual, and cause for turning of heads to see it. I'm happy to say those days are over. Bi-racial couples are quite common, and totally accepted by anyone I know. And after all, what better way to promote acceptance with all, than to be related by marriage, and have grandchildren in common?

I've lived in the New Orleans area for my life so far, and although it is the Deep South I have to say, it stands head and shoulders above the rest of the South in acceptance. New Orleans had what were called Free Men of Color that owned property back before the Civil War, I know that was true elsewhere, but not as much in the South. So, perhaps we are still ahead of the times.

the movie is actually pretty good....still a lot lost in translation, but even on its own it's good :)

I definitely want to read The Help, but while I haven't been buying any new books, my wishlist is growing so I think it's going to be a while before I get to it. It's a tad annoying as well, as I want to read the book before I watch the film, but Emma Stone is one of my favourite actresses, and I really want to see it!

I'm definitely going to watch it soon.

Regarding present day attitudes etc in the South (USA). Probably one accurate barometer of conditions can be noted in the large and increasing number of bi-racial couples that are here. When I was a child in the '50's we didn't see that at all, naturally because of the Draconian laws in place at the time. Even in the '60's it was unusual, and cause for turning of heads to see it. I'm happy to say those days are over. Bi-racial couples are quite common, and totally accepted by anyone I know. And after all, what better way to promote acceptance with all, than to be related by marriage, and have grandchildren in common?

I've lived in the New Orleans area for my life so far, and although it is the Deep South I have to say, it stands head and shoulders above the rest of the South in acceptance. New Orleans had what were called Free Men of Color that owned property back before the Civil War, I know that was true elsewhere, but not as much in the South. So, perhaps we are still ahead of the times.

That's really great to hear Pont. It's funny how each state in the US is quite different in their attitudes and character. When I think of Texas, New Orleans, Arizona, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida, all in the far south, I envisage quite diiferent things. But then I come from such a small country, I don't think I quite grasp the distances between :blush2:

When I looked up The Help, I came across this article, which could have been straight from the novel.

Maid sues saying 'The Help' is humiliating ......

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=12968562

What a shame. I'd heard about the suit, but not that many details. It's hard to believe that the author would be so callous about the maid's feelings. As mentioned in the article, she certainly knew it would upset the woman. Lazy, unfeeling author it seems to me. Makes me glad I bought the book at a Library Sale, no profit to the author. :D