The Other Poppy's Books 2012

poppy

The Boy In Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

Excellent, very moving and at times hard hitting story about Nazi Germany. I think this is considered Young Adult literature but it's certainly one I would recommend as a thought provoking book for anyone this age and up.

Edited by poppy

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Piano by Jane Campion

This book was written after the film was made, by the film's director. Usually this means a poorly written book but in this case, the book was excellent. It's very short, but gives a lot more background to the story which isn't clear in the film. I absolutely loved this film. It tells of Ada a mute woman, her young daughter and beloved piano who are sent to New Zealand in the mid 1800's for an arranged marriage with a landowner, living in remote bushland. This is a love story, at times quite dark but at the same time very beautiful and artistic. I hadn't even realised that a book had been written until I discovered a second-hand copy for sale. I imagine it's not an easy book to find, but I highly recommend the film, it's one of my all-time favourites and the original music score is haunting.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

This is a book I'd wanted to read for a long time, but it was always out at the library and then I won a competition on here where I could choose any book I wanted, and this is the one I chose. (Thank you to all those involved :smile: )

Loved it. Again about Nazi Germany, again considered Young Adult literature but recommend to all. This book is narrated by Death and is about Liesel and her foster parents who harbour a young Jewish man in their basement.

Zusak has a most unusual and original way of writing. This is the second book of his I've read. The other was The Messenger, another excellent book.

Arukiyomi, I would hate to recommend something unsuitable for a 12 year old. It would depend very much on her maturity, but if she's read other similar books this should be OK.

This link might help you to decide

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/book-thief

(what a nice Uncle? you are to buy such a wonderful birthday present for your niece)

I see you've bowed to pressure and finally started your own thread, Poppy. Hurrah! I didn't want to add extra pressure, so I didn't say anything, but I was really hoping you'd start a thread. :)

I like your reviews and look forward to reading more. Who would you say are the most well-known New Zealand authors ever? Are there any that are particularly famous in NZ but that haven't been discovered by the rest of the world yet? I have a feeling I've asked you a similar question before, but if I did, it was a very long time ago, so perhaps I can be excused. :blush2:

The Man Who Created Narnia: The Life of CS Lewis by Michael Coren

I've had a fascination with CS Lewis ever since I saw the film Shadowlands about 25 years ago. I found it intriguing that a bachelor in his late 50's, who had seemingly lead a fairly cloistered university life, developed a friendship with an American divorcee and fell in love.

This is a short book and doesn't go into much detail about his life, it's more of an overview. Another book I read about him Jack. A Life of CS Lewis by George Sayer (and the author was a good friend of Lewis's) had a lot more depth.

I think what comes through the most about Lewis is his intelligence, his humility, his generosity and his sense of responsibilty. During WW1 he and a friend made a pact that if either were killed, the survivor would take care of both their families. His friend was killed and Lewis moved in with the mother and sister and cared and provided for them for the rest of their lives. There is speculation that he had a relationship with the mother, and in all likelihood he did, but I think that just makes him all the more interesting.

He and Tolkein were great friends and the latter was a big influence in his conversion to Christianity in his mid 30's and also in their writing.

His relationship and marriage to Joy Davidman and her battle with bone cancer are very moving. They had only been married about 3 years when she died. He loved her so much and said she was the only woman whom he had met... "who had a brain which matched his own in suppleness, in width of interest, and in analytical grasp, and above all in humour and a sense of fun."

If you just want a fairly brief outline of Lewis's life, and a good smattering of black and white photos, this is a good book. But I would recommend George Sayers book if you want to go into any depth about his writing and beliefs.

Edited by poppy

I see you've bowed to pressure and finally started your own thread, Poppy. Hurrah! I didn't want to add extra pressure, so I didn't say anything, but I was really hoping you'd start a thread. :)

I like your reviews and look forward to reading more. Who would you say are the most well-known New Zealand authors ever? Are there any that are particularly famous in NZ but that haven't been discovered by the rest of the world yet? I have a feeling I've asked you a similar question before, but if I did, it was a very long time ago, so perhaps I can be excused. :blush2:

Thanks Kylie :friends0:

I suppose our best known author is Katherine Mansfield, but there are others that are pretty well known.

Keri Hulme for her Bone People, Wiki Ihimaera for Whale Rider, Janet Frame for An Angel at My Table, Ngaio Marsh for murder mysteries and Maurice Gee are a few I can think of.

One author who wrote very down to earth and humorous books which were very popular with the general public (and maybe not so well known overseas) was Barry Crump. His were based on rugged outdoor type characters, his most famous would be A Good Keen Man.

Three very excellent children's authors are Lynley Dodd (writer of the Hairy Maclary series), Margaret Mahy and Joy Cowley.

Hope that answers your questions Kylie :D

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

This is a book I'd wanted to read for a long time, but it was always out at the library and then I won a competition on here where I could choose any book I wanted, and this is the one I chose. (Thank you to all those involved :smile: )

Loved it. Again about Nazi Germany, again considered Young Adult literature but recommend to all. This book is narrated by Death and is about Liesel and her foster parents who harbour a young Jewish man in their basement.

Zusak has a most unusual and original way of writing. This is the second book of his I've read. The other was The Messenger, another excellent book.

I adored this book and I'm hoping they make it required reading in UK schools in the future..

Excellent, very moving and at times hard hitting story about Nazi Germany. I think this is considered Young Adult literature but it's certainly one I would recommend as a thought provoking book for anyone this age and up.

Ditto to what I said above! :)

The Piano by Jane Campion

This book was written after the film was made, by the film's director. Usually this means a poorly written book but in this case, the book was excellent. It's very short, but gives a lot more background to the story which isn't clear in the film. I absolutely loved this film. It tells of Ada a mute woman, her young daughter and beloved piano who are sent to New Zealand in the mid 1800's for an arranged marriage with a landowner, living in remote bushland. This is a love story, at times quite dark but at the same time very beautiful and artistic. I hadn't even realised that a book had been written until I discovered a second-hand copy for sale. I imagine it's not an easy book to find, but I highly recommend the film, it's one of my all-time favourites and the original music score is haunting.

It's so long since I watched this film that I have forgotten most of the details, I'll put the book on my wish list instead, thanks Poppy! :)

The Man Who Created Narnia: The Life of CS Lewis by Michael Coren

I've had a fascination with CS Lewis ever since I saw the film Shadowlands about 25 years ago. I found it intriguing that a bachelor in his late 50's, who had seemingly lead a fairly cloistered university life, developed a friendship with an American divorcee and fell in love.

I saw it about the same time, and, unusually for me, cried buckets.

I believe I have a bio of him around here, must investigate. Not sure which one.

Happy to see this thread too! :jump:

I loved this book when I read it last year. I think its one book that everyone should read :)

Great reviews Poppy! I have read most of them myself (a while ago) and it has been great to refresh myself with your reviews! Looking forward to your next review of 'The Curious Incident...' I am interested to read if your views were similar to mine!

Andie P x

Arukiyomi, I would hate to recommend something unsuitable for a 12 year old. It would depend very much on her maturity, but if she's read other similar books this should be OK.

I hear you...

This link might help you to decide

http://www.commonsen...iews/book-thief

wow... what an amazing site! Thanks for sending me there...

Uncle?

Uncle? Yes. Nice? Hmmmmm... maybe...

• 3 weeks later...

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by CS Lewis

The Magician's Nephew by CS Lewis

I should have read these the other way round but it didn't really matter. Enjoyed them both, particularly The Magicians's Nephew. I didn't read any of the Narnia books as a child which I regret, as I would have liked to compare my impression of them, then and now. I found the parallels with the Bible creation story and Jesus's death and resurrection very striking.

I would love to know if Lewis had his whole Narnia series mapped out before he wrote them as he didn't write them in sequence. The Magicians Nephew, which is the first chronologically, was actually the sixth book he wrote.

I started The Horse and His Boy, which seems quite different from the other two, but got side-tracked with another book. I do intend to read the whole series though.

These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach.

This is the book The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is based on and I read it after seeing and enjoying the film so much. The film differed from the book quite a lot and I actually enjoyed the movie more than the book. An easy read but not particularly memorable.

I didn't read any of the Narnia books as a child which I regret, as I would have liked to compare my impression of them, then and now.

I had the same thoughts when I read the books. There are some books that I think I would appreciate more if I had read them first as a child. Still, I enjoyed all of the Narnia books. :)

I didn't read Narnia as a child either - I only heard of them after the films :blush:

Almost everyone I know seems to like The Horse And His Boy the least of the seven, but for some reason its one of my favourites :)

wow... what an amazing site! Thanks for sending me there...

I agree. Wonderful site !

I've been reading some of the reviews written by children - and they are eye-opening, and some made me chuckle ~

"I rilly like it.It has some bad language like dammit."

I too didn't read any of the Narnia books as a child...nor as an adult....for some reason those books don't appeal to me

Funnily enough, I had attempted to read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe several times and couldn't get into it, but this time I loved it.

I agree. Wonderful site !

I've been reading some of the reviews written by children - and they are eye-opening, and some made me chuckle ~

"I rilly like it.It has some bad language like dammit."

That's so funny ....what a naughty book!! :D

I had the same thoughts when I read the books. There are some books that I think I would appreciate more if I had read them first as a child. Still, I enjoyed all of the Narnia books. :)

I noticed this particularly on re-reading A Traveller In Time by Alison Uttley as an adult. It made a big impact on me as a child but it felt quite different this time. It makes you wonder just how much you miss by viewing something only with adult eyes, maybe you lose something of the magic.

Edited by poppy

Did you discover which bio you had Pont?

I've looked around and can't find it either on the shelf or in Library Thing. :blush2:

Re Marigold Hotel, I've bought the book it's based on...it's in the stack..... :)