New Girl

Gabbie

Hi,

I'm new around here, but really looking forward to getting neck deep into reading and talking about reading.

I'm Gabbie.

I prefer my books to be thought provoking and challenging, though sometimes it is nice to balance it all with something lighter. Recent books I've loved were the play Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett and The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright.

I never really know what to tell about myself, so... My favourite B&J flavor is Vermonster (though Cookie Dough is giving it a run for its money), and my favorite fruit is lime. I don't like candy, but have a weakness for chips. Anything else you'd like to know? Ask! I beg of you!

Brilliant introduction, welcome to the forum. :welcome2:

If you don't mind me asking whereabouts are you from? Thinking about it, my personal Ben & Jerrys preference would have to be Cookie Dough. :D

Edited by Ben

Thank you, vodkafan (maybe the coolest call sign ever!) and Ben!

Ben, I currently live in the States, although right now I'm visiting Finland.

I heard from a friend (seriously, it was a friend, not one of those "friends" to which stuff happens when it's too embarrasing to say it really was you) that if you microwave B&J Cookie Dough it's really good. Although, as this conclusion was reached around 4am, and consipicuous amounts of alcohol were involved, I wouldn't trust that.

Ben, I currently live in the States, although right now I'm visiting Finland.

Ah we have quite a few from the US on here. Sorry for the random question, when I read of the weakness for 'chips' I was wondering whether it was chips that we call crisps in the UK, or chips like we have over here. Question answered.

I heard from a friend (seriously, it was a friend, not one of those "friends" to which stuff happens when it's too embarrasing to say it really was you) that if you microwave B&J Cookie Dough it's really good. Although, as this conclusion was reached around 4am, and consipicuous amounts of alcohol were involved, I wouldn't trust that.

Brilliant. :haha: Perhaps if I'm ever drunk/daft enough to try it I'll see if I can validate this!

Edited by Ben

Ah we have quite a few from the US on here. Sorry for the random question, when I read of the weakness for 'chips' I was wondering whether it was chips that we call crisps in the UK, or chips like we have over here. Question answered.

Brilliant. :haha: Perhaps if I'm ever drunk/daft enough to try it I'll see if I can validate this!

Ah, sorry. I didn't realize that caused confusion.

If you, or any friend of yours, ever tries that, let me know. I don't own a microvawe (bit of a purist when it comes to the food I eat and my kitchen in general) so I can't try it myself.

Hey Gabbie and welcome to the forum! :)

How are you liking it here? :)

Hi frankie!

I like Finland very much, thank you.

Hello Gabbie! :welcome2:

Hi chesilbeach! Thank you for the welcome.

Hey Gabbie how was The Forgotten Waltz ? I just read another Anne Enright I reviewed on my reading blog. Can't decide whether to give her another go.

Oh, I loved it! The Forgotten Waltz is about an extramarital affair. And unlike in most books that have dealt with it in the past, this one isn't judgemental or going out of its way to dish out some sort of "justice". It's very clear from the start of the book that the two lovers, who are both married to other people, end up together. Usually it's all "you're an adulterer so you must suffer a painful end and bathe in misery on your way to it". This isn't about that. Plus I really enjoyed Enrights style of writing, it reminded me a bit of some Chinese or Japanese authors I've read, because she doesn't really give you everything and the sink to work with, but there's room for your own thoughts. It's very simplified at parts. I took quite a bit of the story before you learned the protagonists (who is also the narrator) name.

I really really loved this book, but I don't know what your tastes are like (yet) so I don't know... I hope my thoughts about it help you decide, one way or another.

Hi Gabbie, welcome :smile:

Be careful of those Finns, especially the one called frankie! :hide::giggle2:;)

Hi Karsa Orlong!

I'll try to remember that, thanks for the hint. Finns are an ... shall we say interesting bunch.

I never really know what to tell about myself, so... My favourite B&J flavor is Vermonster (though Cookie Dough is giving it a run for its money), and my favorite fruit is lime. I don't like candy, but have a weakness for chips. Anything else you'd like to know? Ask! I beg of you!

Hi Gabbie and welcome. B&Js only recently arrived in Australia, and I've been making up for lost time whenever I get the opportunity. ;) We only have limited flavours available though. Of those I've tried, I love Phish Food, the double chocolate fudge and some type that has chocolate pieces with caramel inside.

If you, or any friend of yours, ever tries that, let me know. I don't own a microvawe (bit of a purist when it comes to the food I eat and my kitchen in general) so I can't try it myself.

Good thing you don't live with me. While I love natural food, I hate cooking, and my lazy streak wins out every time. I couldn't live without my microwave. :blush2:

• 1 month later...

Thakn you all, for the welcome.

An accidental vacation trip happened and took longer than I thought and... oh well, I quite forgot I found this lovely place. So sorry!

Hi Gabbie and welcome. B&Js only recently arrived in Australia, and I've been making up for lost time whenever I get the opportunity. ;) We only have limited flavours available though. Of those I've tried, I love Phish Food, the double chocolate fudge and some type that has chocolate pieces with caramel inside.

Thank you, Kylie.

Oh, you'll love B&J's. Phis Food is lovely. I really like the little fish in there, so yummy.

Good thing you don't live with me. While I love natural food, I hate cooking, and my lazy streak wins out every time. I couldn't live without my microwave. :blush2:

Haha, oh I'm not that bad! I just don't believe in unnecessary gadgets in the kithcen. A tool for squashing garlic? No thank you, my knife will do the job just fine and so on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...