The Chronicles Of Narnia.

I'm thinking about buying ''The Chronicles Of Narnia'' from Amazon, but I'm unsure of which one to buy.

There is the Box Set with the 7 books (http://www.amazon.com/The-Chronicles-Narnia-Boxed-Set/dp/0064471195/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3CV9CIBA651WV&coliid=ISWPH4MZK1B9T)

and there is the one volume book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Chronicles-Narnia-C-S-Lewis/dp/0060598247/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0)

What is the difference between them? And which one is better?

I have the individual books (only because I'd pick them up at yard sales and such). I find having the all in one perfect because you go straight into the next story. I've found that when customers come into the bookstore looking for the next book, its always out of stock.

I have a big gold book with them all and the only difficult thing about it is that it's almost impossible to read when I'm on the move somewhere (say in the car, train, bus, etc.). The major pro of being able to go straight to the next story and have them all together in one collection is however is the selling point for me; I'd much prefer to have them like this than separately.

Edited by Ben

I had them all in one book, but I never read one story after the other. It's a bit unwieldy if you want to carry it around with you. I have since given it away and have been gradually buying the single books for future re-reads.

I thought the 7 books had more story then the one volume book.

I still don't understand that the 7 books has more pages in its total then the one volume book... that means the 7 books are bigger in terms of pages and story then the one volume? Or they all have the same amount of pages?

For example, the book ''The Magician's Nephew'' has 202 pages but it only has 100 pages in the one volume book.

So C.S Lewis cut the book in a half to put it into the one volume. That's bad, I guess.

The books / stories shouldn't have changed or be shortened what ever way you buy them. The difference in page numbers would be due to differences in font size / word size and how big the pages actually are. If the one volume is a larger book, with smaller print inside then it would have fewer pages per book.

Don't worry that the stories will be different, they won't be.

There is nothing missing in the single-volume book. The single-volume book is generally larger, so it fits more text on the page. The stories are exactly the same.

The same goes for all books. Different editions of the same book usually have a different number of pages due to the size of the text, the size of the page, margin size etc. There are many factors involved.

ETA: Oops, didn't see Chrissy's reply.

I would go for the set of seven individual books. They'll be lighter and easier to hold while reading.

The all-in-one may look more attractive, but I find it cumbersome.

The problem of buying the seven books separeted is that they are paperback and I prefer to buy the one volume which is hardcover. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...