Eliza's Reading 2012

Guest Eliza1

Guest Eliza1

Hi everyone,

I had a reading blog last in 2010/2011 which unfortunately I didn't keep up. I've made a new resolution this time to review every book I read along with a synopsis.

I don't have a list as at the moment I am compiling it, so I will update in the future! My reading is generally at random as I pick up and read any book that takes my fancy. Hope this blog is useful for some members down the line!

Eliza. :)

Guest Eliza1

Of Human Bondage - William Somerset Maugham

Orphaned at an early age and growing up under the care of his uncle William Carey, Philip Carey gives up his career in Academia. He travels to Germany, Paris, and London exploring the beautiful and dangerous world of the Parisian apprentice artist, turning his hand eventually to Medicine.

Trying his hand at different ways of life, Philip encounters the worlds of love, friendship, poverty and death. Meeting characters along the way such as the enigmatic, failed poet Cronshaw and the Spanish Engineer Athelny. He makes lasting friendships and endures a torturous, heartbreaking love for the ambitious, indifferent Mildred.

"Of Human Bondage" is the poignant story of a mans struggle between truth and idealism, and his light at the end of the tunnel.

Comments

First thought you are likely to have (and I did have it), is that this book is set in the late 1800's, early 1900's. So old fashioned? Yes. But as a classic, I think it is a must read. The story telling is absolutely amazing, I didn't want to put it down. The main character is Philip and you travel with him throughout his adolescent years, seeing him grow up from being a spoilt little boy full of silly ideals, to a man with a lot of integrity, a truly good person. There is a lot of soul searching throughout this book and much description of art and art decor from the period and even before. But these are few and far between and wind throughout the story so you don't really notice.

I would really recommend this. In my opinion it's one of W. Somerset Maugham's best works. A lot of home truths within that make you stop and think. Very heartfelt and satisfying. I would give this a 7/10

Guest Eliza1

That brings back some memories. It was one of my O level set books when I was at school (mind you, it was a new release then ...).

I think I enjoyed it (as much as you'd have admitted enjoying reading a book at the school I went to!).

Glad it brought back memories :) It really is one of those hidden Gems of the Literary world.