Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summary of 2012 Sci-Fi, Horror and Fantasy reads (Since I started this thread in May)

Fantasy

Hero of Ages - Brandon Sanderson - 8/10

Alloy of Law - Brandon Sanderson - 8/10

Pawn of Prophecy - David Eddings - 8/10

Queen of Sorcery - David Eddings - 9/10

Magicians Gambit - David Eddings - 9/10

Castle of Wizardry - David Eddings - 9/10

Enchanter's End Game - David Eddings - 9/10

Elantris - Brandon Sanderson - 7/10

Stardust - Neil Gaiman - 7/10

A Game of Thrones - G.R.R Martin - 10/10

A Clash of Kings - G.R.R Martin - 10/10

A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow - G.R.R Martin - 10/10

Horror

Hellbound Heart - Clive Barker - 8/10

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson - 10/10

The Shining - Stephen King - 10/10

The Rats - James Herbert - 9/10

Lair - James Herbert - 7/10

Horns - Joe Hill - 7/10

Roadkill - Jack Ketchum - 8/10

Sci-Fi

The Blue World - Jack Vance - 9/10

The Machine - D.G. Jones - 8/10

The Phoenix Conspiracy - Richard Sanders - 9/10

Forever Free - Joe Haldeman - 6/10

Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke - 8/10

I won't start a new thread as this one wasn't specific to this year, I will at some point try and update my TBR and wishlist.

Since Christmas I have bought a few books, mostly with my Amazon gift card :D

Waylander II and The Quest for Heroes by David Gemmell

Dragondrums by Anne McCaffrey

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson (Mass Market PB)

Replay by Ken Grimwood (Steve's fault)

also got Watership Down, Last Exit to Brooklyn and Double Dexter but they don't count on here.

Hope you enjoy Replay, i bought it after reading Steve's review & wasn't disappointed it's a great read :smile:

Happy reading in 2013 Timstar.

Thanks, i'm actuallly looking forward to it now :D

Dunno what you're on about, I've never mentioned that book whistling.gif

:o After the first 20 times I saw you bang on about it I thought it might be worth checking out, although if it is rubbish I might not talk to you again... :blush2: so I hope you were honest :giggle2:

Thanks, i'm actuallly looking forward to it now :D

Oh right, so if someone else says it's good you look forward to it :o:lol:

although if it is rubbish I might not talk to you again... :blush2: so I hope you were honest :giggle2:

Hmmm . . . :P:lol:

2013 Major reads (series and tomes)

The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan

The Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss

Night's Dawn Trilogy - Peter F. Hamilton

Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson

First Law Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie

Under the Dome - Stephen King

Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin

Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding

Books of the Art - Clive Barker

Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb

Rama Series - Arthur C. Clarke

Malloreon - David Eddings

It is ambitious but I'm not aiming to finish all of them, at least make a start on them and finish some.

Edited by Timstar

I know I read the whole of the The Belgariad, but can't quite remember now whether I read all The Mallorean books as well. But, I loved David Eddings so hopefully it lived up to its predecessor! The only other one I have read from your 2013 major reads list is Under The Dome; I did enjoy it, but not as much as Duma Key (which had got me back into Stephen King after having given up on him for quite a few years).

The only other one I have read from your 2013 major reads list is Under The Dome; I did enjoy it, but not as much as Duma Key (which had got me back into Stephen King after having given up on him for quite a few years).

I've had it a while now but have put it off as there were so many other King books I wanted to read. But now it will be my next King read within the next couple of months.

I know I read the whole of the The Belgariad, but can't quite remember now whether I read all The Mallorean books as well.

The Malloreon was great. More of the same, really. I loved it :smile:

Don't read Terry Brooks! Shannara. Book 1, Bob goes on an adventure. Book 2 Rick goes on same adventure. Book 3 Dex goes on same adventure.

'tis the plan :giggle2:

You are getting quite evil, Timstar! :D

Finished Rose Madder, quite enjoyed it but at 600 pages it was too long for a suspense novel. Some very good bits but a lot of unnecessary stuff in there as well.

Oh, but wasn't the copper really scary? He scared/scares the crap out of me every time. When he was sitting on the park bench with the (very unlucky) guy who'd found Rose's credit cards and had used them, and threatened the life out of him? Wasn't there some ... private bits crunching involved? Dude, my ovaries shrunk in sympathy!

Replay by Ken Grimwood (Steve's fault)

He's evil. Do not join his ranks!

:giggle2:

also got Watership Down, Last Exit to Brooklyn and Double Dexter but they don't count on here.

I've been mildly curious about Watership Down, I'm a lot more curious about Last Exit to Brooklyn, and I'm sooo jealous of the Dexter title :D All in all, a great haul!

Dunno what you're on about, I've never mentioned that book whistling.gif

:giggle2:

Bah! :rolleyes:

:D

I hope you have a great reading year in 2013, Timstar! :smile2:

Oh, but wasn't the copper really scary? He scared/scares the crap out of me every time. When he was sitting on the park bench with the (very unlucky) guy who'd found Rose's credit cards and had used them, and threatened the life out of him? Wasn't there some ... private bits crunching involved? Dude, my ovaries shrunk in sympathy!

I've been mildly curious about Watership Down, I'm a lot more curious about Last Exit to Brooklyn, and I'm sooo jealous of the Dexter title :D All in all, a great haul!

He was a scary character and there was quite a bit of uncomfortable private crunching. In fact the book was full of uneasiness. I am also curious about Watership Down and Last Exit to Brooklyn. The Dexter book is the last one I need but I have still only read the first three. The first season is great though!

200px-Painted_man_cover_small.pngThe Painted Man - Peter V. Brett

Synopsis

"Enter a world where darkness belongs to Demons"

Every night the people in the cities and villages hide in their houses, behind their protective wards, for night is when the Demons come. Crawling out of the ground from the core, every night the Corelings torment the people, smashing, killing and burning wherever they can. Believed to be powerless, the humans are suppressed and scared, never willing to make a stand. Until now.

Review

I hadn't read a lot about this book at all so didn't know what to expect but the concept intrigued me. It follows three children from separate areas of the world, one of them as young as three. We are introduced to them one by one and this worked very well to immerse me into their world. It is as much a story of discovery for them as it is for us, as they grow we are introduced to the problems and opportunities as they face them.

I really enjoyed the concept and the characterisation, everyone had a distinct yet not cliché personality. The writing style wasn't particular sophisticated but this made for some light and enjoyable reading. The battle scenes were very well written and I found my self glued to the pages for hours at a time, at nearly 600 pages it didn't feel drawn out at all. It also left a lot of scope for the sequels which I am now looking forward to reading.

The debut novel of Brett was very enjoyable and accessible, perfect for new and old fantasy fans.

Overall 9/10

Great review of TPM, Tim. Glad you enjoyed it in the end - you didn't seem to sure about it at first :smile:

I see The Daylight War is almost upon us - might give me a kick up the backside I need to finally read The Desert Spear.

I love the cover art for his books :smile:

I didn't write a review of these ones, but I remember having a few criticisms whilst reading. As I can't remember them, they can't have been that bad, and my general memory is a very good one. As I said elsewhere, I'm hoping The Daylight War will become available on audio, then I'll be hitting Wiki to refresh my mind. :)

I also like the cover art. I have the Desert Spear on Kindle and hopefully won't be too long before I get around to it. It had been on my list 'to check out' for quite while but never fully bothered until I saw it in the Kindle deal and just decided to take the chance, I'm glad I did. :D

A good start to 2013. I am thoroughly enjoying Starship Troopers already.

Edited by Timstar

Totally geeky fact: I got The Painted Man in the same Amazon order in which I bought Gardens of the Moon. May 2009 that was (yes, I did just check :blush2: ) - I was at the top of a very slippery slope :D

Totally geeky fact: I got The Painted Man in the same Amazon order in which I bought Gardens of the Moon. May 2009 that was (yes, I did just check :blush2: ) - I was at the top of a very slippery slope :D

Hehe, the beginning of the end?

I thing about it I didn't agree with about The Painted Man was the title change for the UK edition. It is an American novel and there it is called The Warded Man, which makes much more sense and I think sounds slightly better. I assume all references within were also altered but I may be wrong. There may have been a good reason for the change but I haven't checked.