Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

I've read one Stainless Steel Rat book and thought it was reasonably good. I'm no sci-fi expert, though, so I can't really compare it to anything else. Interestingly, I noticed in the bookshop the other day that a new book has been published in the series! It's called The Stainless Steel Rat Returns. It makes me want to read the other books in the series, most of which I have but recently decided to cull from my TBR pile. Second thoughts...

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read one Stainless Steel Rat book and thought it was reasonably good. I'm no sci-fi expert, though, so I can't really compare it to anything else. Interestingly, I noticed in the bookshop the other day that a new book has been published in the series! It's called The Stainless Steel Rat Returns. It makes me want to read the other books in the series, most of which I have but recently decided to cull from my TBR pile. Second thoughts...

Have you actually got rid of them yet, Kylie, or are you just thinking about it? I've been in a similar position a few times recently, having to re-purchase books that I wished I hadn't given away. :doh: I need a TARDIS, just for the shelf space :lol:

I've still got them! :) Maybe I'll read another one shortly and then have another think about whether I still want them. Actually, whether I want them is not the issue. I do want them! It has to come down to how far down they sit on my TBR pile.

6690240-L.jpg Castle of Wizardry - David Eddings

The Epic quest continues in the forth instalment of David Edding's The Belgariad. This book is the longest so far and serves as a bridge between two sections of the quest. The initial quest to reclaim the Orb of Aldur and the final battle against the evil God Torak. As such the story is a little thin but this does not effect the quality of the book whatsoever, it focuses more on the development of the two youngest and most important characters: Garion and Princess Ce'Nedra. They certainly develop a long way! Garion grows up a lot and finally excepts and embraces his destiny and Ce'Nedra puts petty affairs aside to aid Garion.

Despite a couple of weeks gaps between reading each instalment, they never fail to draw me in within the first few pages. Simply put this is another brilliant book in a brilliant series that sets up for the final instalment expertly, which promises to be amazing. Simply cannot wait to read it.

Overall 9/10

Went to the market yesterday and treated myself to a few books. :hide: It was 'buy one get one free' so you can't say I had much choice in the matter...

11.22.63 by Stephen King

Lyonesse By Jack Vance

Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Imajica by Clive Barker

not bad for £7 :)

Is that the Stephen King book you were missing? :giggle2: I knew he'd written a lot of books, but I didn't realise just how many until I saw your shelves. Does 11.22.63 match your other editions?

Is that the Stephen King book you were missing? :giggle2: I knew he'd written a lot of books, but I didn't realise just how many until I saw your shelves. Does 11.22.63 match your other editions?

Only 1 left now... The Wind through the Keyhole. I also don't have a kindle yet so can't get the couple of e-books he has done. It doesn't match my other editions i'm afraid, those were all released in 2007 and all his books since then haven't matched :( Also The Green Mile and the Dark Tower series weren't released in the same editions. I only need two more of them though, Rose Madder and Hearts in Atlantis, which I have in other editions but that won't do at all lol.

• 4 weeks later...

150px-Taylorenchantersendgame.jpgEnchanter's End Game by David Eddings

Synopsis

The conclusion to the epic fantasy series The Belgariad. The prophecy is nearly fulfilled and the world could be saved or be plunged into darkness. It all rests on farm boy, Garion's head as he prepares to battle the evil god Torak.

Review

Got there finally, the series has been brilliant so far and the finale did not disappoint. The story has you gripped from the start as the fates of the characters, you have come to love, are all decided. The world Edding's created is vast and imaginative and filled with memorable characters and fantastic creatures.

Don't think there is much more to say about this series, it is simply brilliant. If you like fantasy and haven't read this yet I would highly recommend it, also great for beginners to fantasy .

Overall 9/10

Series 9/10

41OAvenaEIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-50,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpgThe Machine by D. G. Jones

Synopsis

There is only THE MACHINE and those who live within it. Told through the unconventional, simple language of blue 7, one of the millions of workers who scurry through its metallic entrails, THE MACHINE tells of a brutal regime and the beginnings of rebellion within...

Working without purpose and without end, humanity lives and slaves to maintain the huge mechanical monster, beyond which there is nothing. Blue 7, has spent his lifetime working and wondering the function of THE MACHINE, but someone has noticed him, and slowly his world begins to unravel in a blood-soaked violent struggle that threatens not only him, but THE MACHINE itself…

Review

This was the first book I read on Kindle after reading some great reviews and it being relatively cheap.

The concept is simple yet brilliant. As the whole of society works tirelessly towards running and maintaining The Machine, the world as they know it, one man known as Blue 7 starts to experience some strange events and it looks like someone is out to get him.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this book, it gives great description about the lives of the people in The Machine and as the reader we know no more then they do about what The Machine is or what its purpose is.

The novel is quite brutal, not just in the dystopian environment, but with torture and mass executions as common place. I have seen it described as a 'modern 1984' and I would say this is not far off to be honest, the prose can't compare to that of Orwell of course but world certainly has a similar feel of bleakness and hopelessness. Other then the unknown Machine itself, there aren't many sci-fi elements which definitely helped to ground the novel in reality and allows the reader to relate to the situation in which these people live.

Jones has created a world with endless possibilities and I hope he writes more and explores some them. For £1.50 I would certainly recommend this.

Overall 8/10

Edited by Timstar

Went to the market yesterday and treated myself to a few books. :hide: It was 'buy one get one free' so you can't say I had much choice in the matter...

11.22.63 by Stephen King

Lyonesse By Jack Vance

Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Imajica by Clive Barker

not bad for £7 :)

I haven't read anything by Jack Vance yet, but liked Second Foundation, really liked 11.22.63, and loved Imajica! :)

61JSAWLmxRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-57,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpgThe Phoenix Conspiracy by Richard Sanders.

Calvin, an intelligence operative, is sent to eliminate a dangerous traitor. But, as he chases his prey across the stars, he realizes they are both pawns in a shadowy chess game. One that threatens humankind everywhere.

If he is to uncover the conspiracy he must confront--and embrace--the darkest elements of the galaxy. And throw himself, his career, and everyone he loves into the line of fire.

Review

This is a kindle-freebie that looked quite interesting and I'm so glad I read it is an absolute gem. This felt like a Dan Brown book... set in space. Not as fast paced as a conventional thriller but it moves very well to keep the reader interested, and slowly reveals the mystery as well asking more questions as the story progresses.

Very little description of the technologies so it is not weighed down realism and problems of conventional space travel, which works really well for this type of story and also makes it ideal for those new to sci-fi.

The problem is that the sequel is about £5.

Overall 9/10

Edited by Timstar

Welcome back, Tim, hope you had a great time on honeymoon :smile:

So glad you enjoyed The Belgariad. The Machine and The Phoenix Conspiracy sound good, shall have to get the samples for my Kindle :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to updating the first few posts on this thread... mostly, leaving my TBR pile for now as in the time it takes to write it all out I could have shortened it!

I started Forever Free, the sequel to The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, even though i'm still half way through A Crowning Mercy... just couldn't resist some Sci-Fi :blush2: . Both are enjoyable so far.

9780575079199.jpg Forever Free by Joe Haldeman

Synopsis.

The Forever War is over. But by the time William Mandela returns from his final conflict, Man has moved on. After setting up a new colony away from, the now foreign, Earth, the veterans find this existence harder then fighting in the war and longing for adventure and travel they decide not to put up with it.

Review

The Forever War was an amazing achievement, probably a book that didn't need a sequel, certainly not 25 years later, but I'm still glad there is one. As a bit of background, the technology used in The Forever War involves time warping and 'time dilation' which means when they travel in space, which they do a lot, centuries can pass in a matter of hours. Which means the main character is 54 years old but born 1100 years ago.

With The Forever War over, the human race has melded into one single conciousness, simple known as Man, but have retained there individual physical forms. This means that one human can speak for the entire race as they have already agreed upon what to say. But it gets more confusing as each individual refers to the entire race in the first person singular, 'I'. Although just a small aspect of the book, it is certainly a brilliant concept.

Although the pacing is quite slow it seems to work for this particularly story, giving the reader the impression of how much life has slowed down for the veterans. It also takes some very surprising turns in the story. At it's short length, it almost works as an epilogue to The Forever War but with a story in its own right.

Recommended for The Forever War fans.

Overall 6/10

Great review, thanks Tim. I'm still unsure as to whether or not I want to read it! The first book is one of my all-time faves, and I don't want to tarnish the memory. I'm worried it'll be a bit like reading the Dune sequels after the magnificence to the first book . . .

• 1 month later...

Being a bit lapse on the reviews lately, tried to write one about A Clash of Kings but couldn't describe it well enough to do it justice and without giving away spoilers.

So i'll try another.

200px-Shiningnovel.jpg The Shining - Stephen King

Synopsis

Danny is only five years old, but in the words of old Mr Hallorann he is a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father becomes caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, Danny's visions grow out of control.

As winter closes in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seems to develop a life of its own. It is meant to be empty. So who is the lady in Room 217 and who are the masked guests going up and down in the elevator? And why do the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive?

Somewhere, somehow, there is an evil force in the hotel - and that, too, is beginning to shine . . .

Review

I haven't read too many of the classic King's yet but I always look forward to them and haven't been disappointed yet, The Shining was no exception. A brilliantly written eerie masterpiece with a number of genuine scares and a tenseness that numbs the knuckles. No scene is wasted in setting up the family dynamic and the hotel setting with it's grusome history.

Jack's slow descend into madness and murder is expertly portrayed and brilliantly juxtaposed to Danny, his five year-old son's curiosity and innocence, with his wife stuck in the middle trying desperately to hold the family together and get through the ever worsening storm.

Killer hedge animals, ghosts, psychics and murder, this book has so much to offer and delivers it all perfectly.

REDRUM!

Overall: 10/10

Edited by Timstar

Good stuff, Tim :smile:

I remember reading that book (must be 30 years ago now), sitting on the tube and getting absolutely terrified when the kid was stuck in the room with the . . . oh, you know the bit I mean :D

I kind of struggled with It. I thought the first two thirds of it was brilliant, but the final third was waaaaaaay too long. It is about 25 years since I read it, though, so I may give it another go at some point.