Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

I have had a short break from horror,sci-fi and fantasy. Read Gates of Fire and To Kill A Mockingbird, plus a holiday in their somewhere. But I did not have a break from buying more.

Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates

Roger Zelazny - The Amber Chronicles (the first half) (Two of which are signed by the author :D)

Vinge Vernor - A Fire Upon the Deep

Isaac Asimov - Lots, including Foundation

Jack Vance - Emphyrio

Walter Miller Jr. - A Canticle for Leibowitz

Going to start The Belgariad by David Eddings now.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates

Roger Zelazny - The Amber Chronicles (the first half) (Two of which are signed by the author :D)

Vinge Vernor - A Fire Upon the Deep

Isaac Asimov - Lots, including Foundation

Jack Vance - Emphyrio

Walter Miller Jr. - A Canticle for Leibowitz

s'funny how people seem to pick up Emphryrio - this is one of Vance's weakest books IMO

s'funny how people seem to pick up Emphryrio - this is one of Vance's weakest books IMO

It's the one I have on my TBR pile too. :) I chose it because it was part of the SF Masterworks series. I'm not sure if Vance has any more books listed in the series, but I figured Emphyrio must be good if it was on the list. I've been using the series as a guide to help me choose SF books by authors I've heard of (such as Michael Moorcock and Jack Vance) but I might have no idea where to start.

I'm eager more than ever to read I am Legend now, thanks to your review! It's on my shelf.

Which is bizarre, because it's the only one I've really liked so far :lol:

I think it's because it's part of the SF Masterworks series, as Kylie said, and is easier to get hold of than most. Same for the Dying Earth books, which are part of the Fantasy Masterworks series.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Which is bizarre, because it's the only one I've really liked so far laugh.png

huh.png We seem to be diametrically opposed. However after reading my first Michael Moorcock I have hopes that we can find some common ground in the middle ! Jewel In The Skull was brilliant!

Pawn_of_Prophecy_Cover2.jpg Pawn of Prophecy - David Eddings

Synopsis

Long ago, the evil God Torak fought a war to obtain an object of immense power - the Orb of Aldur. But Torak was defeated and the Orb reclaimed by Belgarath the sorcerer.

Garion, a young farm lad, loves the story when he first hears it from the old storyteller. But it has nothing to do with him. Or does it? For the stories also tell of a prophecy that must be fulfilled - a destiny handed down through the generations.

And Torak is stirring again . . .

Review

The start of a traditional fantasy series that I should have read in my childhood but never mind, I get to enjoy it now. It's an old story, a farm boy discovers there is more to world than he could imagine, and begins his quest to save the world.

I really enjoyed this, nice to have a fantasy series with small instalments that move at a nice pace. The characterisation is splendid and we are slowly introduced to the magical world. It left me wanting to move straight onto the next book to discover more.

I will force myself to have a short break before the next one though. Not sure what yet though.

Edited by Timstar

Has Silk's nose been twitching much yet? :lol:

Hasn't started yet.. must be later.

1.jpgQueen of Sorcery by David Eddings

Synopsis

The quest for the Orb of Aldur continues and the farm boy Garion discovers more of his origins and powers.

Review

The second book of the Belgariad continued right were the first one left off, but this time it is bigger and better. More characters, more adventures, more danger and more fun then the first. The structure is similar, previous questions are answered and new ones are asked. A thoroughly enjoyable read that just flew by. Fully engrossed into the series now, I only hope the quality remains high.

Overall 9/10

Bought a few more books from the Charity shop today.

Arthur C. Clarke - Profiles of the Future

Ray Bradbury - Quicker Than the Eye

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game

Steven Pressfield - The Afghan Campaign

also got Adam Nevill's Banquet for the Damned from the Library.

magicians-gambit.jpg Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

Review.

not too much I can say about this that hasn't already been covered in the previous two reviews. The whole series feels like one book/story split into 5 parts as oppose to some series such as Mistborn where every book as an overall story arc. Every addition is another leg in the quest to reclaim the Orb of Aldur and this one does let down. The fastest pace of them so far, it kicks the action up a gear as well as expanding the magic, religions and races. The characters develop further and become even more lovable which I didn't think was possible at this point. Another brilliant addition to an already brilliant series.

Overall 9/10

Silk was also brilliant in this book, lots of nose twitching :)

LOL, it's about time! :giggle2: I can see I'm going to have to read them again, so many memories of those books ... :smile:

None that I've read, unfortunately. There's a bit of a gap in the market there, I reckon. I'm interested in these:

Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books

David Weber's Honor Harrington books

E.E. Doc Smith's Lensman books

... but, as I haven't read any of them yet, I have no idea what they're like.