Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen that Amazon are selling it second hand, cheapest about £4.

I am reading Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill, I found it hard to get into to be honest but now I am hooked.

Andie P x

13207380.jpgThe Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson.

I won't provide a synopsis as it the third book of the Mistborn trilogy and I don't want to give spoilers for the first two.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, It certainly took a bit of a twist in the scope of the story after the second novel. For better or worse this book is on a much grander scale to the first two. Sanderson seems to have this incredible ability to set up story lines and twists way in advance that I just can't see coming, for instance he would have something seemingly important happen but the characters dismiss it because they do not understand it, then as the reader I would dismiss it as well, then later he will show the true importance of it, accompanied with me slapping my head and saying "of course... how did I not see this before". It really kept me on my toes and guessing (usually incorrectly) as the mythology is slowly revealed.

What I didn't enjoy about this book? It was a bit slower pacing then the others, given that everything is coming to an end it really needed to speed up, not slow down. I am not completely sold on the ending, it seemed like a bit of a cheeky way out and not as thought through as the rest of his trilogy, it certainly took the fantasy to another level.

Overall it is still very good, great and lovable characters and a unique magic system that is a bit more grounded in reality then most. I.e. every action has an opposite reaction.

8/10.

I have not read many fantasy series but I can certainly recommend Mistborn. I have also got the companion short novel The Alloy of Law which I intend to read soon.

Good review, Tim. You've probably seen that I wasn't so keen on Mistborn. I'm not entirely sure why - I loved the magic system and I thought Vin was a brilliant character in the first book, but then it all got a bit angsty for my liking. So many people seem to rate it very highly, though. I think maybe it was one of those trilogies that, for me, would've been better as a duology, but then I shouldn't really complain considering how Erikson waffles on at times! :lol:

Good review, Tim. You've probably seen that I wasn't so keen on Mistborn. I'm not entirely sure why - I loved the magic system and I thought Vin was a brilliant character in the first book, but then it all got a bit angsty for my liking. So many people seem to rate it very highly, though. I think maybe it was one of those trilogies that, for me, would've been better as a duology, but then I shouldn't really complain considering how Erikson waffles on at times! :lol:

Well I might not rate it as highly after reading some more fantasy (Erikson), I think it is quite an accessible series, good for the non-hardcore fantasy fans.

I'm about half-way through the third book, and have taken a break. I too would have liked it a bit shorter.. still a very good series though. :)

Is that the audio book you have? how are you finding the third book so far?

Yep, I've listened to them all on audio. I like the third book, but it seemed to be dragging a bit.. I think I miss the small group, and am not so keen on everyone doing different things.

Yeah I know what you mean, but then it does need to move on and develop otherwise people will complain that it is too similar to the others... bit of a double edged sword.

Well I might not rate it as highly after reading some more fantasy (Erikson), I think it is quite an accessible series, good for the non-hardcore fantasy fans.

To be fair, I know a few fantasy fans who rate his stuff very highly but you're right, it is accessible (a comment that could never be levelled at Erikson :lol: ).

I might have to have a crack at The Way of Kings soon ...

I have quite a few of these books on my TBR list too! I'm actually very eager to start reading some of them now, but I would like to finish my current read first.

Edited by Devi

Read a couple of short stories which I won't do proper reviews for. I picked up Blockade Billy by Stephen King hardback book for £1 new from The Works (gosh I love that shop). There is also another short story within called Morality. Both were ok, nothing ground-breaking, very typical King, I think Morality was quite an interesting idea and would have benefited from being explored a bit more. Basically an old rich priest decides he wants to break his life-long sinless ways, but indirectly by paying a couple $200k to do it for him. It was cleverly written so the sin was not explained until after it was done.

He gets her to punch a four year old, playing in the park, in the face then run away whilst her partner films it.

The couple coping with what they had done was only touched upon lightly, and King has a great talent of displaying human anguish.

Blockade Billy was not quite as good, a story about an old baseball legend. It would certainly have been beneficial if I had anything more then a rudimentary understanding of the sport.

The other short story I read was The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker, the first of his works I have read so far and certainly not the last. I really enjoyed it and finished it one sitting. I haven't seen the film and didn't know what to expect other then a guy with nails in his face, I was surprised by the raw brutality Barker is able to portray. I will be looking out for more of his works.

The_Blue_World.jpg

The Blue World by jack Vance

Synopsis

Over twelve generations the descendents of a space crash on a world completely covered in water had managed to adapt to their marine culture. Living in villages built on giant clumps of sea plants, they survived on the flora and fauna of the sea. But they have always been at the mercy of the kragen - gigantic squid-like monsters that prey on their fish flocks, and on them. The biggest of these is King Kragen, with whom the colonists can communicate, who has to be appeased. But one man has had enough of a life of slavery and sacrifice. But how can he convince his fellow men that King Kragen must be killed? And how can that be achieved in a world without weapons?

Review

This was my first Vance novel, and I really enjoyed it! Not much longer then a short story it follows the protagonist Sklar Hast and his efforts to break the status-quo. I think the synopsis is a bit misleading, it sounds like the Kragens and the King Kragen will be the focus of the novel but they aren't. It focuses around the political consequences of Hast's actions and the resulting conflicts. I assume Vance was making a point about the silly reasons and justifications people have for going to war and fighting each other, this he makes very well. I was just wishing they would get along and focus on the main threat, the Kragens.

I enjoyed the story being set on another planet with only hints of how they got there, it wasn't necessary to include reams of backstory or technical details. This allows for increased focus on the story telling which moves at quite a pace.

Overall - 9/10

now going to read the latest book in the Mistborn series. The Alloy of Law.

Edited by Timstar

:D wanna get Dying earth and Lyonesse now.

If you want to go more fantasy, go Lyonesse. If you want to go more "spacey" you can go The Planet Of Adventure series (aliens) , or the Demon Princes, or The Alastor Clustor series. There are lots of stand alone novels too.

I am happy for you to be reading each book for the first time! The first Vance book I ever read , when I was a teenager, was The Languages Of Pao. I had up until then been reading either Andre Norton YA SciFi or my Dad's Arthur C Clarke or Asimov "Old F**t" Sci Fi. Jack Vance just blew me away!! Every book of his just seemed to throw off new exciting concepts like sparks from a catherine wheel.

I envy you your new journey of discovery.

Just like your Dad?... :o

Dad actually liked reading Westerns mostly but in Sci Fi he only extended to Asimov and Clarke. That's why I have always regarded those writers as a bit "stiff" I suppose. When I started reading a lot of Vance and John Varley and Damon Knight and LeGuin and a bit of Moorcock and Siverberg , my dad never liked those writers much. The ideas in them were too far out for him. It was a generational thing I suppose. But in fact all those writers were around at the same time. Nothing wrong with a bit of Clarke really, he was a very clever man I just thought his writing was a bit old fashioned. Asimov's 3 laws of Robotics are genius.