Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, cos they seem quite popular books.  A lot of people over on the Malazan Empire forums rave about them.

Ah, hence your attempt? 

Have you read the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher? I know you've been reading the Dresden Files but this looks more my sort of thing.

Finally started The Wheel of Time, and already it seems like an epic undertaking. Very excited about it though.

I'm about to stary it myself! :)

The Stand was too large to hold in my hands. :(

Ah, hence your attempt? 

Yeah, I always look for recommendations on there.  It's the first one that I haven't really enjoyed.

Have you read the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher? I know you've been reading the Dresden Files but this looks more my sort of thing.

I haven't as yet, but it's a definite at some point soon.

500 pages into The Eye of the World and thoroughly enjoying it! Started off a bit predictable and familiar but quickly found it's own path.

I usually have a rough plan of what my next books will in my head, but I thought I would rip-off Steve's idea and post them on here and see how well I follow.

Sharpe's Battle - Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe 12)
Under the Dome - Stephen King
Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold - George R.R.Martin (Song of Ice and Fire 3)
Dr. No - Ian Fleming (James Bond 5)
No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
Diary of Anne Frank
Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss (Kingkiller Chronicles 2)
The Desert Spear - Peter V. Brett (Demon Cycle 2)
The Pheonix Rising - Richard Sanders (Pheonix Conspiracy 2)
WarBreaker - Brandon Sanderson
Retribution Falls - Chris Wooding (Tales of Ketty Jay 1)
Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher (Codex Alera 1)
Cabal - Clive Barker

The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time 2)

Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8).

The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie

My main aim is to try and catch up with a few series, yet keep it varied, so these are in no particular order. Some are kindle, some I am waiting for the Library reservation. Some are very long and some very short. I may add a couple but will try not to take away....

Edited by Timstar

500 pages into The Eye of the World and thoroughly enjoying it! Started off a bit predictable and familiar but quickly found it's own path.

That's great to hear, I'm glad you're enjoying it :).

The Desert Spear I really enjoyed, I hope you do too when you read it :). I own some of the books you mention or it's on my wishlist (no. 1 of the series) but nothing else I've read so can't advise you on it.

Edited by Athena

I see you have Sharpe's Battle on your list Timstar i'm currently up to book 9 in the series, i've loved all the ones i've read so far :smile:

Yeah same, I read Sharpe's Eagle first which is still my favorite then went back and read them in chronological order.

I added The Great Hunt to the list above which was always meant to be on there.

I usually have a rough plan of what my next books will in my head, but I thought I would rip-off Steve's idea and post them on here and see how well I follow.

I'm quite surprised by the way mine is going so far - haven't yet felt tempted to change it to any great degree.  Good luck with yours! :smile:

Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold - George R.R.Martin (Song of Ice and Fire 3)

Best book in the series by a country mile, imo - enjoy! :smile:

Well, when I say 'book' I mean 'half book'.  Still can't get over the publisher's shameless money-grabbing, making fans pay twice for what should be one volume :banghead:

The Desert Spear - Peter V. Brett (Demon Cycle 2)

I'll be reading this soon, too. Although obviously not whilst I'm working through the current plan :giggle2:

Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher (Codex Alera 1)

Oh good, you can be the test subject! :giggle2: I hear the first book is pretty average but then things pick up - seems to be a recurring theme with fantasy series. I like the idea that it's based on Ancient Rome, though. If Dresden is anything to go by it should be a lot of fun. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. :smile: 

Best book in the series by a country mile, imo - enjoy! :smile:

I'll be reading this soon, too. Although obviously not whilst I'm working through the current plan :giggle2:

Oh good, you can be the test subject! :giggle2: I hear the first book is pretty average but then things pick up - seems to be a recurring theme with fantasy series. I like the idea that it's based on Ancient Rome, though. If Dresden is anything to go by it should be a lot of fun. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. :smile: 

Very much looking forward to all three of these. Well done with your plan, We'll see how it goes for me :D

Well, when I say 'book' I mean 'half book'.  Still can't get over the publisher's shameless money-grabbing, making fans pay twice for what should be one volume :banghead:

I don't mind that myself, as it makes it easier to hold and it's not so much weight to carry around.

The one-volume edition of ADwD is the smaller trade paperback size and is only marginally thicker than AFfC.  Naturally, the publishers didn't want that version in the shops, as they'd only make half the money from it :rolleyes:

isbn9781857230765-detail.jpgThe Eye of the World - Robert Jordan

Synopsis

Life in Emond's Field has been pretty boring for Rand Al'Thor and his friends until a strange young woman arrives in their village. Moraine is an Aes Sedai, a magician with the ability to wield the One Power, and she brings warnings of a terrible evil awakening in the world. But it is only the beginning of their troubles. For Moraine believes Rand Al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn, and that he is fated to unite the world against the rising darkness and lead the fight against a being so powerful and evil it is known simply as the Dark One

Review

Ever since I got into fantasy all those years ago this has been on my list of 'I'll get round to it eventually', then after seeing 7 of the now 14 books in the series for 50p each I thought it was time to give it a go. My expectations were understandably high due to all the hype around this series, the problem is that the hype is created by those thoroughly invested into it and the first book doesn't quite live up to it. 

However, this is also what those same people say, 'don't be put off by the first book', 'it's good but gets a LOT better' etc. They also say that the whole series should be viewed as one book, with this in mind it is hard to be critical of a book after reading 1/14th of it, so I will try not to be. I did enjoy it, I was looking forward to coming back home so I could start reading it again. It started off quite predictable and formulaic but quickly found it's own path and thrust the readers into the journey with Rand.

Exploring this immense world was something that I loved and will no doubt continue to love, but I would say that most of the characters felt a little two-dimensional. I am hoping they will be flushed out nicely as there is tonnes of potential. The other criticism I have is that it dragged a bit in the second half.

Other that I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next book.

Overall 8/10 

Great review! In my opinion, the characters get fleshed out a lot more in the rest of the books. I don't remember which ones exactly for which characters, but you get to know them a lot better throughout the series. I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

The other criticism I have is that it dragged a bit in the second half.

Great review, Tim, although I personally thought it picked up a bit in the second half.  The first half had me losing the will to live :lol:

It seemed to be a bit more sporadic in the second half, a good tense section followed by a long period of nothing.

I am going to have to be naughty and add two more books to my plan...but I can justify them:

Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8). I heard originally the paperback wasn't out till May but just saw it is out at the end of Feb so I have pre-ordered it.

The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie. Almost finished the Red Country audio book and I love it so much I have to read more Abercrombie and soon!

It seemed to be a bit more sporadic in the second half, a good tense section followed by a long period of nothing.

The pacing was poor, yeah, for sure.  Lots of padding.

The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie. Almost finished the Red Country audio book and I love it so much I have to read more Abercrombie and soon!

This is good news about Red Country (I'm waiting for the paperback, although I could have got a signed copy of the hardback in Forbidden Planet this morning and am kind of wishing I had . . . ).

The Heroes was almost my favourite read of last year.  Awesome book from start to finish.  I hope you enjoy it. :smile:

Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8). I heard originally the paperback wasn't out till May but just saw it is out at the end of Feb so I have pre-ordered it.

I can't remember if you have read The Dark Tower series. I read this one last year, and I think of it as a book separate to the series, possibly because we don't actually learn anything new about the characters and they don't move further on in their quest. It was still an ok read, but can easily be read as a stand alone novel.

I can't remember if you have read The Dark Tower series. I read this one last year, and I think of it as a book separate to the series, possibly because we don't actually learn anything new about the characters and they don't move further on in their quest. It was still an ok read, but can easily be read as a stand alone novel.

I have read it and mostly enjoyed it, but I have heard good things about the new one, and really looking forward to delving back into the Dark Tower world.

Although extended I am sticking to the plan:

Sharpe's Battle - Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe 12) - Read
Under the Dome - Stephen King
Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold - George R.R.Martin (Song of Ice and Fire 3)
Dr. No - Ian Fleming (James Bond 5)
No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
Diary of Anne Frank - Started
Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss (Kingkiller Chronicles 2)
The Desert Spear - Peter V. Brett (Demon Cycle 2)
The Pheonix Rising - Richard Sanders (Pheonix Conspiracy 2) - Started
WarBreaker - Brandon Sanderson
Retribution Falls - Chris Wooding (Tales of Ketty Jay 1)
Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher (Codex Alera 1)
Cabal - Clive Barker

The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time 2)

Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8).

The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie

I have No Country For Old Men on the basis of the film is amazing, but when I tried it I couldn't get very far due to really disliking the writing style. I'll be interested to read your thoughts if/when you get around to it.