50 Shades of Grey

Katrina1968

I did find it embarrassing when this 60ish year old lady came into the store and bought the book. She looked so uncomfortable and said she was getting it for her daughter. Her daughter would read it and then tell her about it or she would read it herself. I'm like "wow, I know all there is to know about my daughter but I'll be damned if I want to know THAT part of her nature!" And yes, I said that to her. If your too embarrassed to buy it then don't buy it and try to make excuses.

With all due respect, she was a customer at a bookstore and was buying a book. She should be able to do that without anyone giving her any hard time, especially a person who works there to sell books.

On topic: When these books started popping up here and there I thought 'here we go, another series about to be hyped til it bleeds out of my ears', but all negative views on it are making me more curious about it. Bondage etc. is not my thing either, but who am I to judge other people for enjoying it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, I guess I always feel I have to root for the underdog, and it seems 50 Shades is somewhat that in this thread. :D

VF, I don't know if I agree that men can't write erotica, after all, there are myriads of levels of what attracts, or turns on everyone. As they say, one person's trash is another's treasure. I believe that applies to everything from garage sales to erotica.

I will not judge anyone on what some find attractive/erotic/desirable. To each their own kettle of fish. As long as they don't try to tell me what to enjoy, or not...or impose their rules on me, I'm fine with whatever they want to do in privacy.

I must share this article that husband found in the Guardian. If you read the synopsis it contains, you'll have one of the best belly laughs of the week! :crazy:

Erotica: better reads than Fifty Shades of Grey

frankie, I understand what you are saying but maybe I did not clarify myself. The customer and I had a lovely and lively conversation about the book and she saw me and I saw her and we had a laugh over the book. But I stand by my statement about not being embarrassed about buying whatever takes your fancy.

Like everyone is saying, this is a very popular book!

Seems to be lots of reviews about the first and not alot for the sequels, not sure if its the book for me tho :/

Also going cheap on my website aswell at $8 for the paperback!

[Admin edit - I've removed your link as we do not allow advertising]

Hmmmm, I guess I always feel I have to root for the underdog, and it seems 50 Shades is somewhat that in this thread. :D

I feel the same way :D

frankie, I understand what you are saying but maybe I did not clarify myself. The customer and I had a lovely and lively conversation about the book and she saw me and I saw her and we had a laugh over the book. But I stand by my statement about not being embarrassed about buying whatever takes your fancy.

Ah, I see! :) Yes, I did get a very different picture of what went down from your previous post, I'm glad you cleared it for me :)

I have the three books waiting to be read (I bought them all because they were on special) and I got the first book on my kindle, still to read it though. :)

Edited by Weave

I've finished the first one and posted a few thoughts on my book blog here. So as not to be repetitive I'll only say here 3/5. :) I don't think it's the story most assume it is.

@ Vodkafan, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. As far as Janet Evanovitch, I am familiar with her books and like the humorous flow of her stories. And, while at times I like the female protagonist to be nearly invincible, her characters are definitely wonderfully real and flawed. As far as excellent story tellies, or word smiths, I have to admit, one of my all time favorites isn't even in the romance genre. I blush to admit Louis L'Amour is possibly the best story teller I've encountered

Hi RaeLea, welcome to the forum. I know it's a completely different Genre,and out of the blue, but I wondered what you thought of Janet Evanovitch? Or who would you recommend as a good wordsmith?

Hi RaeLea, welcome to the forum. I know it's a completely different Genre,and out of the blue, but I wondered what you thought of Janet Evanovitch? Or who would you recommend as a good wordsmith?

If one were looking for a story that is in the BDSM world, I'd more recommend Carries Story, by Molly Weatherfield, I've read this and the second book, Safe Word. The story is still of the Dom/Sub but the writing is far better. Both women come into the world of BDSM ignorant however, 'Carrie' is a far more realistic and likable character and her story is far more engaging.

Final thought (for the moment) about men writing erotica... I'm more than happy to dispel the myth that men cannot write erotica. Granted, my guy may not be 'typical' but the man is a fantastic wordsmith.

As mentioned before by other readers, the main protagonist is not a character that one can easily identify with and honestly, not a very likable creature. The male, an unbelievable hero as a 27 year old billionaire who's a proficient pilot, feeding the hungry, 'control freak', dominating man.

The writing is juvenile and at times, painful (no pun intended to the BDSM aspect). While I intend to complete the first book, I've no intention of purchasing the second and third of the series. This is one of the few books I've had to choke down, typically I devour a story, completely immerse myself in the world the author creates. I adore finding a good storyteller, a wordsmith, someone who has the talent to build worlds so colorful that you live the story. You will not find that with E.L. James. Sorry.

:yeahthat: You took the words right out of my mouth, RaeLea! I feel the exact same way. I'm in no way a prude, but the BDSM aspect of this bored me, I disliked both main characters and you're right, the writing is juvenile at best. I just finished the first book last night and have no intention of reading the others.

I feel for underdogs too, but I usually consider those types of books the kind that don't get a lot of publicity or get ignored because they aren't about the popular subject of the day. With this one it's just badly written and IMO, well left alone. With all due respect to those of you here who enjoyed the book, to me it just seems like it's something for people who are perhaps unfulfilled in their real lives or enjoy more plot-driven books rather than character-driven ones.

Sorry, guys, don't throw anything at me! :lurker:

:yeahthat: You took the words right out of my mouth, RaeLea! I feel the exact same way. I'm in no way a prude, but the BDSM aspect of this bored me, I disliked both main characters and you're right, the writing is juvenile at best. I just finished the first book last night and have no intention of reading the others.

I feel for underdogs too, but I usually consider those types of books the kind that don't get a lot of publicity or get ignored because they aren't about the popular subject of the day. With this one it's just badly written and IMO, well left alone. With all due respect to those of you here who enjoyed the book, to me it just seems like it's something for people who are perhaps unfulfilled in their real lives or enjoy more plot-driven books rather than character-driven ones.

Agreed! My thought regarding the 'underdogs' is spot on. I truly wish that were the media to be all hyped up on a book, or in this case, series of, that said book(s) would have a certain amount of quality to them. I am not talking about subject matter, but simply the very quality of the writing. The underdogs of self publishing took a hit with this one, how it got to be so popular is beyond me.

*ducking for cover at any left over projectile objects* :hide:

Agreed! My thought regarding the 'underdogs' is spot on. I truly wish that were the media to be all hyped up on a book, or in this case, series of, that said book(s) would have a certain amount of quality to them. I am not talking about subject matter, but simply the very quality of the writing. The underdogs of self publishing took a hit with this one, how it got to be so popular is beyond me.

*ducking for cover at any left over projectile objects* :hide:

Why denigrate the readers of the book?

Why denigrate members of this forum?

Why denigrate me?

The level of seemingly hate for this book, not only on this board, but others.....simply mystifies me. It seems to inspire a level of vitriol (everywhere) that is unwarranted. It's a simple little book about a somewhat innocent, or juvenile as some say, young woman. Frankly the male protag is not well fleshed out, so it's difficult to draw any real conclusions about him and seems a bit unfair to do so. The book is what it is.

*bolding in above post quoted mine*

When I first heard of this book I was intrigued to read a very different, slightly dangers and off kilter love story than most. I'm always looking for something that sparks my interest and as I read it I was pleasantly surprised. The story is definitely blush worthy and erotic but I think that this story has a lot of levels and if you don't dwell on the erotic, I think it will be a lot easier to stomach.

I found that as I read the second and third books I got used to the kind of sex that is the male protagonists preference/obsession and for those of you who have on read the first or head of the first it is by far the most erotic of the novels. As they get into the character development you start to understand it form both sides and get a really good picture of what they are dealing with.

I am just a fan of doing whatever makes you happy as long as both parties consent then its just a lifestyle choice.

When I first heard of this book I was intrigued to read a very different, slightly dangers and off kilter love story than most. I'm always looking for something that sparks my interest and as I read it I was pleasantly surprised. The story is definitely blush worthy and erotic but I think that this story has a lot of levels and if you don't dwell on the erotic, I think it will be a lot easier to stomach.

I found that as I read the second and third books I got used to the kind of sex that is the male protagonists preference/obsession and for those of you who have on read the first or head of the first it is by far the most erotic of the novels. As they get into the character development you start to understand it form both sides and get a really good picture of what they are dealing with.

I am just a fan of doing whatever makes you happy as long as both parties consent then its just a lifestyle choice.

Well put. Having finished the first one, I have to say that it made me interested in exactly what happens in the next entries. See my review in my book blog. :)

Well put. Having finished the first one, I have to say that it made me interested in exactly what happens in the next entries. See my review in my book blog. :)

I will check it out! Thanks!

Why denigrate the readers of the book?

Why denigrate members of this forum?

Why denigrate me?

The level of seemingly hate for this book, not only on this board, but others.....simply mystifies me. It seems to inspire a level of vitriol (everywhere) that is unwarranted. It's a simple little book about a somewhat innocent, or juvenile as some say, young woman. Frankly the male protag is not well fleshed out, so it's difficult to draw any real conclusions about him and seems a bit unfair to do so. The book is what it is.

*bolding in above post quoted mine*

Believe me, Pontalba, my thoughts posted didn't come from a place of attacking you or anyone else who enjoys this series. It's only my opinion and thoughts on why I disliked the book. My extreme dislike for the book is because of the reasons I posted and I hold no animosity towards those who do like it. I apologize for my generalizing statement of people who are unfulfilled - I could've stated my opinion more charitably.

With that being said, I don't believe my opinion (or vitriol as you said) is unwarranted. It's simply the way I feel personally :)

With that being said, I don't believe my opinion (or vitriol as you said) is unwarranted. It's simply the way I feel personally :)

Oh Peacefield, I wasn't targeting you regarding said vitriol. It's common on another forum that I visit. And, naturally, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I simply don't believe anyone should be belittled or looked down upon because of them.

I especially find these attitudes interesting considering the three volumes are the top three best sellers (again) as listed on the New York Times best seller list .

Who is buying these books? To read here and other places, no one, yet, there it is, on the NYT and I'm sure other lists.

I have to say, it is all highly amusing. :D

They are on all of the bestseller lists that I see as well. I follow a local online bookstore on Facebook, and whenever they ask questions about what people are reading etc, everyone seems to mention these books.

I don't want to generalise or stereotype in any way, but I wonder if many of the people buying these books are more casual readers who aren't quite the serious book addicts that we are (thus, less likely to be on forums such as this). I mean, the type of person who might only read a few books per year and tend to go for bestsellers.

They are on all of the bestseller lists that I see as well. I follow a local online bookstore on Facebook, and whenever they ask questions about what people are reading etc, everyone seems to mention these books.

I don't want to generalise or stereotype in any way, but I wonder if many of the people buying these books are more casual readers who aren't quite the serious book addicts that we are (thus, less likely to be on forums such as this). I mean, the type of person who might only read a few books per year and tend to go for bestsellers.

I thought of that too, and checked on Good Reads, the reviews I saw, only looking at the star system numbers, ran from 3.84 stars for the first volume to 4.14 for the third. Also 4.42 for the bundle. So, I'd say that's a bunch of readers, being on Good Reads.

I have a nice and nephew in middle school and high school and the information I am getting from them is that these books are becoming so popular for the shock value alone in the schools. They are being confiscated for reading passages out loud at lunch and on recess.

I thought of that too, and checked on Good Reads, the reviews I saw, only looking at the star system numbers, ran from 3.84 stars for the first volume to 4.14 for the third. Also 4.42 for the bundle. So, I'd say that's a bunch of readers, being on Good Reads.

I saw on Good Reads that almost every single person on my friends list were reading them so that's why I chose them initially and the rating seemed so varied I thought I would decide for myself.

I read a few reviews which were varied, I read the whole series last weekend, in all honesty, I did not think they were up to much, I could not relate to the characters and I really did not like the 'development' of Ana, the writing was okay, forgettable but I read them to the end and I don't think I will read them again.

Will I find this book on the topshelf of my local Waterstones :giggle: Sorry about that :blush2:

On a more serious note, due to the largely mixed opinions, I will give it a shot and let you guys know what I think.

Edited by BloodyNine

Will I find this book on the topshelf of my local Waterstones :giggle: Sorry about that :blush2:

On a more serious note, due to the largely mixed opinions, I will give it a shot and let you guys know what I think.

Actually.......... :D you'll find it prominently displayed about 20 feet from the front door, facing the front, taking up the top 2 shelves in the Barnes & Noble around here. :readingtwo:

It's prominently displayed in Waterstone's in Bath - I saw it there with the other two yesterday. Ditto with WHS.

I've read all three. I haven't written up my thoughts about them yet, but am intending to try to catch up with all my reviews later today (after I've been into work for some training).

I was going to say, it's probably on the top shelf because it's No.1 in the charts, so it'll be at the top position on those shelves, then you'll probably see it in a separate display stand, in the window, in the fiction section ... etc., etc., etc. :lol:

Well, I've finished the second one, found it to be a bit more interesting than the first. It ended with another type of cliff hanger, so look forward to the last one.

There seem to be more books of this type "coming out of the closet" in B&N. Here is one that is displayed near 50 Shades in our local B&N.

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

The race is on. heh