Ben's 2012 Summer Classics Challenge!

Ben

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo really is an absolute cracker of a read. It's sprawling, cleverly written, historically intriguing, and utterly compelling. It's length prevents it from being a quick read and in some ways I'm glad: it forces me to slow down and savour every last word.

After an excellent day sat reading in the sunshine I'm coming up to roughly halfway, and I'm certainly excited to see where it goes next.

Glad you're enjoying it so much, Ben. :D

Yup, it's great. Disappointed I couldn't read To Kill a Mockingbird but I'll get around to it I'm sure.

Yeah, me too. :( How far did you get?

I didn't, couldn't get started because my Kindle copy has major line-spacing issues. I looked around for another version but couldn't find any, only study guides and the like. I also really don't have the space to be buying any more paper copies at the moment, unfortunately. :(

Ah, Kylie to the rescue, I should expect nothing less. I am now the happy owner of a Kindle version of To Kill a Mockingbird that no longer has problems putting its lines straight. My many thanks to her as it now means I won't miss out on a novel I'm sure I'm going to enjoy. :D

I'm holding it waiting in the wings for when I finish The Count of Monte Cristo which I aim to finish in two or three days, as I really can't put it down.

Urgh I shouldn't be buying more books but I really want to. :lol:

But if you're going to, Mockingdbird should be top of your list becaise it really is wonderful. I love that book. :)

But if you're going to, Mockingdbird should be top of your list becaise it really is wonderful. I love that book. :)

Well I now have a Kindle version so at least I'll get to read it, but I have no doubt that when I enjoy it I'll add it to the tree-book collection. :D

Finished The Count of Monte Cristo which was absolutely incredible, and can now at long last start To Kill a Mockingbird.

Synopsis:

Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird'. A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel - a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with exuberant humour the irrationality of adult attitudes to race and class in the Deep South of the thirties. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina of one man's struggle for justice. But the weight of history will only tolerate so much. "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a coming-of-age story, an anti-racist novel, a historical drama of the Great Depression and a sublime example of the Southern writing tradition.

I've remained ignorant of this for too long, that is finally about to change.

Finished To Kill a Mockingbird, a truly exceptional read. In an effort to not repeat myself, I'll just post a link to my thoughts here.

I'm not sure what classic I'll start on yet, shall have a little think and post a little later with my decision.

Pssst! Pick Catch-22. ;)

I had a funny feeling you'd be quickly in with that comment. :haha:

Oh go on then, it's been looking at me sadly since I brought it back from Greece unread last August. :D

Next up Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, which I'll start in a day or two, after I've finished my review book.

Synopsis:

He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt. Set in Italy during World War II, this is the story of a bombardier named Yossarian, a hero who is furious because thousands of people he has never met are trying to kill him. Joseph Heller's unforgettable novel is a hilarious and tragic satire on military madness, and the tale of one man's efforts to survive it.

Rather looking forward to this one.

Aw man, I'm so predictable. :(

But who cares...you chose it! :exc:

It's worth it being predictable when you give me such good recommendations. :friends3:

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty much lost for words after reading Catch-22 but I attempted to put some coherent thoughts here. Operative word being tried, but it really was incredible; such a masterpiece that I'm glad I've finally had the chance to read.

5/5.

Shall be reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky next. Tried this once before but due to time constraints I didn't ever get that far with it.

Synopsis:

Raskolnikov, a destitute and desperate former student, wanders through the slums of St Petersburg and commits a random murder without remorse or regret. He imagines himself to be a great man, a Napoleon: acting for a higher purpose beyond conventional moral law. But as he embarks on a dangerous game of cat and mouse with a suspicious police investigator, Raskolnikov is pursued by the growing voice of his conscience and finds the noose of his own guilt tightening around his neck. Only Sonya, a downtrodden prostitute, can offer the chance of redemption.

Edited by Ben