Ben's 2012 Summer Classics Challenge!

Ben

Hi Ben

Checking in on the Rebecca book also . It was one of my all time favorites . I hope you enjoy it as well. There's also My Cousin Rachel which is very good too. Not at the same caliber, but close maybe .

I'd say you can't go wrong with ANY Dickens. also, did you toss in some Wilkie Collins ? He reminds me so much of Dickens -- it's no wonder they were friends !

Good luck with your challenge !

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great idea for a challenge, certainly won't be a light reading summer! I have a lot more classics in my TBR pile then I have ever read.

You should definitely get some H.G. Wells on there! I just bought these for my summer reading:

Haha it's a good job I knew what I was getting myself in for with this list ahead of me. :lol:

As for Wells, I most certainly will add him to the list. Them collections look wonderful, where would you propose I start with him?

I'm finding that a lot of people's recommendations are on my TBR pile (whether paper books or on iBooks) but I've been intimidated by them!

I set myself the personal challenge of ticking off more from the 1001 list (I started the year on 12, now on 19) but a lot of them have been the more modern ones on it. I promised myself I would read my first Dickens before the end of the year and next month's reading circle shall be my first Jules Verne so that's progress of a kind!

I think a lot of people tend to own a lot of classics but then seem to ignore them in favour of easier reads, myself included. I think that's why I've dedicated a good few months to trying to diversify my tastes and tackle some of the books I've always wanted to read but have often ignored.

It seems like slow progress when tackling lists like these because there's so many marvellous novels to read, and for every one you tick off another slides in its place. You seem like you're coming along nicely though, and in no time at all you'll find that you've made even better progress.

Hi Ben

Checking in on the Rebecca book also . It was one of my all time favorites . I hope you enjoy it as well. There's also My Cousin Rachel which is very good too. Not at the same caliber, but close maybe .

I'd say you can't go wrong with ANY Dickens. also, did you toss in some Wilkie Collins ? He reminds me so much of Dickens -- it's no wonder they were friends !

Good luck with your challenge !

Thank you. Ah, Rebecca has been wonderful so far, not many pages left to go now. I'll add My Cousin Rachel to the list as Daphne Du Maurier has certainly persuaded me enough through this novel to pick up something of her other works.

It's a good job really as there are many Dickens waiting for me this summer; something I'm undoubtedly very excited about. I've never read any Wilkie Collins and never realised he was friends with our dear Charles. Would there be anything in particular you would recommend starting with?

I agree with Julie you need to toss in some Wilkie Collins , at this rate Ben your going to be snowed under with classic books :D

I could think of much worse situations to be in though. :lol:

Dickens, Charles: A Tale of Two Cities

Dumas, Alexandre: The Count of Monte Cristo

Heller, Joseph: Catch-22

Lee, Harper: To Kill a Mocking Bird (K)

Orwell, George: Animal Farm

Steinbeck, John: The Grapes of Wrath (K)

Steinbeck, John: Of Mice and Men (K)

These are my absolute top recommendations.

I'd recommend starting with To Kill a Mockingbird. In fact, I insist on it! It's one of those books that everyone reads for the first time and says, 'I wish I'd read this earlier!' Don't be one of those people! ;)

Then follow it with Catch-22. Yes, I know, I'm so predictable. :giggle2: Have the tissues handy for Of Mice and Men and A Tale of Two Cities, and perhaps The Grapes of Wrath. I can't remember if I cried during the last one, but the whole thing is a bit of a downer (brilliant though it is), so beware.

Haha it's a good job I knew what I was getting myself in for with this list ahead of me. :lol:

As for Wells, I most certainly will add him to the list. Them collections look wonderful, where would you propose I start with him?

The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds are the undisputed classics, also the only ones I have read until I get my collections. But I've heard his short stories are amazing.

I'd recommend starting with To Kill a Mockingbird. In fact, I insist on it! It's one of those books that everyone reads for the first time and says, 'I wish I'd read this earlier!' Don't be one of those people! ;)

Then follow it with Catch-22. Yes, I know, I'm so predictable. :giggle2: Have the tissues handy for Of Mice and Men and A Tale of Two Cities, and perhaps The Grapes of Wrath. I can't remember if I cried during the last one, but the whole thing is a bit of a downer (brilliant though it is), so beware.

Shamed to say I haven't read any of these, but I did just win a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird on eBay and the others are on my wish list. I have been trying to find the nice penguin classics of Steinbeck's as keepers for my bookshelf cause I have no doubt I will like them.

What with me recently finishing Du Maurier's rather marvellous Rebecca I came into this thread ready to chose my next classic read. After your absolute insistence that I must read To Kill a Mockingbird next, and the fervently good reviews that it's had from you lovely bunch, I've decided that Mr Lee's novel is next in line. *Reaches for the Kindle.*

Well we all know your love of Catch-22 so admittedly no surprises. :haha: Ooh, not the weepy novels. I used to never cry at books up until I became awfully sentimental (I know, I know..), but now I must factor into the equation the addition of tissues, deary me. Thanks for the warning and the comments. :friends3:

The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds are the undisputed classics, also the only ones I have read until I get my collections. But I've heard his short stories are amazing.

Consider them added (when I get around to checking through the thread and adding one's I want to buy). Perhaps I'll be inspired to read his short stories too. :smile2:

Confession: I read To Kill a Mockingbird when I was about 18 and thought it was "alright". Do I give it another go or accept it just wasn't for me? :lurker:

:haha: I don't think I'm qualified to answer this just yet but I'll get back to you when I'm done.

Edited by Ben

Ben

So glad you like Rebecca so much . I *think* there is another book that is written by Sally Beauman ( don't quote me on the author, but I think it's her name ) . I've not read it,so not sure if it supposedly comes Before or After Rebecca made her appearance at Manderley . I've also not read any others by this lady,so can't really recommend her .Maybe someone else is familiar ? (Not a Classic, she is a current author )

Dickens ...... let's see .... I think I'd go for David Copperfield .. just something about that one that really sticks with me ,although I also LOVED Pickwick Papers . I think because I enjoy Dicken's sense of humor and ability to describe his characters in great detail . Pickwick is JAMMED to the rim with characters,which makes it so much fun .

Wilkie ? Again, it's hard to choose. All his books remind me of Dickens. I'd say the 2 most popular are Woman in White and The Moonstone . I'd rate them about equally well,both get A 's !

Kylie

gotta agree, my gosh,Grapes of Wrath has got to be the most depressing book EVER. Writing is absolutely stunning,but the story is SO sad .... strange ending too,was't it ?

I MIGHT have one to top it for most depressing. Not even sure if this guy is a household name over that way :Erskine Caldwell . Wrote Tobacco Road,which was actually so darn irritating ,you wanted to reach into the book and shake those people til their teeth rattled . They seemed to constantly make the absolute stupidest decisions in life . It's about a southern family ,not sure of the state now, it's been many moons ago, but I think possibly Georgia ? Alabama ? I wonder if the southern people were or ARE offended by it. It certainly doesnt paint them in a good light. The book is very thin,so if you grab one, you could polish it off within a few hour's time, then light your barbecue grill with the pages as you rip them out in anger .

Alexistar

I'll have to second your opinion of Mockingbird. I may not be too popular saying it ,but I wasn't blown away by the book. It was good, but not GREAT . A very interesting story to me, more because of the author's life, her quirky attitude, her supposed use of Truman Capote as the little boy in the book (sorry I read it a gazillion years ago ) . I am absolutely fascinated with Capote .Such an interesting fellow . Neat how Harper helped him out when he was writing In Cold Blood. Must have been quite an odd couple for the Kansas people in that small town when they came breezing in ..

~~~ Note to Ben ~~~~

WHY didnt I add any Capote's books ? Gosh,that is a hanging offense . Read In Cold Blood, then The Grass Harp. Both right in a row.

:Prepare to be dazzled . Tell me that it's possible for the same guy to pull those books out like that . WOW .

Ben

So glad you like Rebecca so much . I *think* there is another book that is written by Sally Beauman ( don't quote me on the author, but I think it's her name ) . I've not read it,so not sure if it supposedly comes Before or After Rebecca made her appearance at Manderley . I've also not read any others by this lady,so can't really recommend her .Maybe someone else is familiar ? (Not a Classic, she is a current author )

I did indeed, just typed up some quick thoughts on it here if you fancy a read. Ah, yes, on the back of this Virago Modern Classics edition of Rebecca it shows Sally Beauman's Rebecca's Tale. It's also listed as authorised by the du Maurier estate which is interesting enough, perhaps one to add to the wishlist.

Wilkie ? Again, it's hard to choose. All his books remind me of Dickens. I'd say the 2 most popular are Woman in White and The Moonstone . I'd rate them about equally well,both get A 's !

When it comes to Dickens I've got a decent collection of his novels awaiting me now, although I'll add Pickwick Papers to the list because I have heard you be enthusiastic about it before and it sounds like an enjoyable read. I'll take a look at the Collins books and see which ones I fancy adding to my list.

~~~ Note to Ben ~~~~

WHY didnt I add any Capote's books ? Gosh,that is a hanging offense . Read In Cold Blood, then The Grass Harp. Both right in a row.

:Prepare to be dazzled . Tell me that it's possible for the same guy to pull those books out like that . WOW .

Ooh that is interesting how he collaborated with Harper Lee on In Cold Blood. I'll check this guy out at some point. ;)

Edited by Ben

Ben

Just read your review and commented. Great job ! That is so interesting that the other Rebecca's Tale is featured on this book ! Might be a really good one for me to check out too .

As for Harper Lee and Truman ( sorry I call him Truman,because he seems like an old friend ...such an unusual little guy .. youtube has some interviews with him -- he's just a tiny little guy with a tiny voice .

Anyhow, the library used to have a big thick book of Truman's that had all his odds and ends ..little pieces of things he has written, some short articles, etc . In that book, there is a chapter on the writing of In Cold Blood. That book began the undoing of Truman . He got so emotionally wrapped up in that ,it seemed to erode him in some way. He got several interviews with the killers,and became in an odd way, friends with them . They asked him to attend their death sentences,which he did. This chapter in the book explains how it also killed something inside him,to watch these 2 men die ,after becoming ,in an odd sort of way, friends .

Such a fascinating story .... and author .

Great reviews, great book choices . Keep 'em coming !

As for Harper Lee and Truman ( sorry I call him Truman,because he seems like an old friend ...such an unusual little guy .. youtube has some interviews with him -- he's just a tiny little guy with a tiny voice .

Anyhow, the library used to have a big thick book of Truman's that had all his odds and ends ..little pieces of things he has written, some short articles, etc . In that book, there is a chapter on the writing of In Cold Blood. That book began the undoing of Truman . He got so emotionally wrapped up in that ,it seemed to erode him in some way. He got several interviews with the killers,and became in an odd way, friends with them . They asked him to attend their death sentences,which he did. This chapter in the book explains how it also killed something inside him,to watch these 2 men die ,after becoming ,in an odd sort of way, friends .

Such a fascinating story .... and author .

Julie, many thanks for posting about how it became the undoing of him, I find that absolutely fascinating. I recently read a novel called The Good Father which is about a kid that eventually ends up shooting a presidential candidate, and on the way he researches different assassinations and murders, and in a sense he becomes connected with the people that he reads about and their actions. There's much more to it than that but it seems to be that he found a connection with them, in a somewhat different way to how Capote connected with the killers he interviewed.

The story that you've described sounds absolutely fascinating and I'd much like to read more about him and of course read In Cold Blood. You've most certainly persuaded me to have a look at this whenever I can purchase it, so thank you for that.

Ben and Alexistar

Yes, you cannot go wrong with Truman. It's too bad he didnt live long enough to write more. He seem3d to have a never -ending well of ideas about so many things. There are books about his life and a movie was made about him a few years back. I didnt see it since I'm not a movie fan ,and highly doubt anyone could catch his essence .

He was very unusual. Loved by some,hated by others I'd think. A little ahead of his times in his beliefs. He would have fit in perfectly in today's world. It seemed to make it even more difficult for him,coming from where he did to where he ended up .

I'm a true crime fan anyhow,but In Cold Blood really is selling itself short being only called a true crime. It's so much more than that. The story puts YOU in that house .YOU are each family member . You want to say STOP !!!! Lock your doors !!!! Watch out !! but all you can do is read along as it happens . It pulls you into the house on page one,and you never truly leave . You always wonder what those last moments must have been like,and what those people would have been if this hadn't happened .

Interestingly, this book was one of the first written in this fashion,although An American Tragedy (Dreiser), beat this one out by several decades. I think it occurred in the early 1900's ? ICB was early 50's I think ...

Truman had access to the house immediately after the crime,so told about the silence, the items still in ths house as if waiting on the family to come back ...

Alright, poor Ben, I have hijacked your page long enough ...

What with me recently finishing Du Maurier's rather marvellous Rebecca I came into this thread ready to chose my next classic read. After your absolute insistence that I must read To Kill a Mockingbird next, and the fervently good reviews that it's had from you lovely bunch, I've decided that Mr Lee's novel is next in line. *Reaches for the Kindle.*

Yes! :D

I second Truman Capote too. In Cold Blood was an awesome read.

Alright, poor Ben, I have hijacked your page long enough ...

Nonsense! This thread is here to discuss recommendations, the novels I'm reading this summer, and that's what you're doing. He sounds like a very interesting man and In Cold Blood sounds awesome. Thank you for telling me about him. :friends3:

Yes! :D

I second Truman Capote too. In Cold Blood was an awesome read.

Consider it added. ;)

Ben, please don't think I am weird but I woke up this morning and suddenly realised 'hey, I know of a classic that has to be read!'

The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery.

Have you read it? If not I have a copy you can lend, it's only a small book so you could read it quite quickly.

Andie P x

The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds are the undisputed classics, also the only ones I have read until I get my collections.

Both of these are rather good. :)

... I've decided that Mr Lee's novel is next in line.

Common misconception that Harper Lee was a man - she was a woman. :)

I only thought this one was OK, nothing brilliant. I've never been able to fathom why so many people think it's a wonderful read - I found it very average, but by all accounts I'm in the minority, so don't let that put you off! And it's a VERY quick read - more a short story than even a novella.

Ben, please don't think I am weird but I woke up this morning and suddenly realised 'hey, I know of a classic that has to be read!'

Have you read it? If not I have a copy you can lend, it's only a small book so you could read it quite quickly.

:haha: I wouldn't think that at all. I've never read it no. Thanks for offering but if it's really short I may be best picking it up myself rather than you having to take the time to send it out.

Common misconception that Harper Lee was a man - she was a woman. :)

No way. :o I can't believe I didn't know that, thanks Kell.

I only thought this one was OK, nothing brilliant. I've never been able to fathom why so many people think it's a wonderful read - I found it very average, but by all accounts I'm in the minority, so don't let that put you off! And it's a VERY quick read - more a short story than even a novella.

Well I guess I can see what I think of it and get back to you. Being a short story if I don't like it I won't have wasted too much time. ;)

Edited by Ben

Ahh, I can't believe this. Loaded To Kill a Mockingbird on my Kindle to find that the line-spacing is all wrong to the extent that I won't be able to read it all the way through. I've checked the Kindle store but can't find any other versions. I'd order the physical copy but can't at the moment, so for the time being it looks like I'll had to put it aside. :(

This next decision came partly out of frustration for not being able to read To Kill a Mockingbird and partly because I fancy giving myself a bit of a challenge. I'm now starting Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo. I have my edition down at 1,243 pages, so I'll be back next year when I'm done. :haha:

In all seriousness I'm really looking forward to this, got about halfway last time I tried but that was because of lack of time, so much better chance this time around.

hehe, just got mine off eBay. Plenty selling on there.

Urgh I shouldn't be buying more books but I really want to. :lol:

Edited by Ben