Looking for a new book/series

Hi everyone, just joined the forums here! I am looking for some suggestions for a book to read or a series, I'm not entirely too sure what I'm looking for, and I know theres a lot out there and its pretty overwhelming, so I was thinking I would just list some of my favourites and what I'm currently reading at the moment to see if theres anything anybody knows of that is of a similar style?

My favourite book is George Orwell's 1984, I'm very much into dystopian style books, post apocalyptic future and all that! depressing but pretty interesting, so anything along those lines, I was looking at possibly Brave New World by Aldous Huxley? Any other suggestions?

I do also quite like a good trilogy of books, although I read them when I was younger, I still enjoy a read through of Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials Trilogy and The Wind On Fire trilogy, I was looking at The Hunger Games for this if anybody knows if they are good?

Really I'm up for any sort of dark fantasy book or trilogy to really get stuck into.

Or if there are anymore classics like 1984 that are highly recommended please let me know, at the moment I am reading Catch 22, I would like to be able to read through some classics, but there are so many!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

thank you!

I don't know much about the type of books you are looking for, so I can only suggest you go over to the Horror/Supernatural/Fantasy/Sci-Fi section of the forum and look around there :) You could also use the search engine and see what it comes up with. Here's a thread with dystopian novel suggestions, for example. :)

And here's a thread for the novel 1984 if you want to read what other people have thought of it and join in on the discussion.

You could also take a look at the list of dystopian literature in wikipedia.

Another classic I really senjoyed aside from 1984 was fahrenheit 451, its also dystopian fiction about a world where books are forbidden. Also you should read brave new world, I only read the abridged version in class but I really liked it :) for more contemporary dystopian reads I would recommend the hunger.games, you probably at least heard of them, I found they were great :)

I hope I was any help to you :)

Speak by Lauri Halse Anderson. This book was made into a movie as well....with Kriten Steward as the main character...

Nvm what I just posted...wrong question.... but if You are Looking for a good book series, you might like the Mortal Instruments? I think everyone pretty much knows about them....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For fantasy series, I would recommend The Saga of Darren Shan (I'm currently reading through them). They are kids/teens books but so far I am really enjoying them, they're quick, easy to read but cover a lot of content. They also get quite dark at times which is interesting for kids/teens books.

• 2 weeks later...

The Road by Cormac McCarthy for dark, depressing, futuristic. Definitely read Brave New World if you haven't yet. I haven't read it yet, but We by Yevgeny Zamyatin might interest you.