Author Interview - Jonathan Kellerman

Jonathan Kellerman’s first novel was published in 1985, and he has since written many more. He is author of a series of crime books featuring Alex Delaware, plus other ‘stand alone’ books.

Q. You have written a lot of books. Do you still remember writing your first one, ‘When the Bough Breaks’, and how did you feel when it was published?

A. I remember every book I’ve written. When I got published I felt vindicated. No longer a self-deluded rejection sponge.

Q. How did it feel to see that book made into a movie? Did the images on the screen match those that had been in your head whilst writing?

A. Great fun. They did a pretty good job. But, of course, there’s nothing like the book itself.

Q. To someone who has never read your books, how would you describe them? What do you think makes them different to other crime books?

A. I’d like to think that my background as a psychologist imbues the novels with a unique approach to human behavior and crime. But I’m not the judge; the reader is.

Q. Do you have a preference over writing books about the same person, such as Alex Delaware, or the ‘stand-alone’ novels?

A. I enjoy both, but Alex has certainly been good to me.

Q. Is it best to read the Delaware books in order, and do you have a favourite?

A. I write the series so that either is possible. Some people like to read in order. I find that with writers I admire, sequence doesn’t seem very important.

Q. You’ve written a couple of books with your wife – how did that compare with writing alone? And how does it feel to see your son become successful too?

A. Faye and I worked beautifully as a team. I’m incredibly proud of Jesse. But I was proud of him before he got published because he’s a really good guy.

Q. There has been some discussion on the forum about authors who employ writers to help with their books. As a regularly published author, is this something you’ve ever considered?

A. Never. NEVER. NEEEEEVER.

Q. Do you get a chance to read for your own pleasure? If so, who are your favourite authors?

A. I read very little fiction while I’m writing. Currently I’m reading David McCullough’s biography of John Adams. And I just finished Bob Dylan’s autbio, which was brilliant.

Q. What else do you like to do to relax and unwind?

A. Play guitar, paint, hike, be with my wife and kids. And my grand-daughter.

Q. Can you tell us what you’re working on next? Do you think you’ll ever write a different genre?

A. My next Delaware novel, COMPULSION, will be published this Spring. I’m working on the book to follow and may also write a stand-alone. For the time being, I’m more than content writing crime novels.

Interview by Michelle

Feb 2008