World War Z - Max Brooks

Timstar

I know zombies have been done to death recently (no pun intended) but this was a pleasant surprise.

It is essentially a number of different first hand accounts of different peoples experience of the zombie apocalypse. It works really well, obviously some accounts are more interesting then others but done are boring and there is such a vast range, from the US military to a Chinese labourer and everything in-between.

It is Brooks' second book, his first been the Zombie Survival Guide which I haven't read but doesn't really seem to be something I would be interested in. Has anyone else read either of these? The film adaptation of World War Z is being filmed at the moment for an early 2013 release starring Brad Pitt. I'm not sure how they will manage it as there isn't a lead character throughout the novel. Will be interesting to see how it is done though.

I read The Zombie Survival Guide, and thought it was very entertaining and funny to begin with, but became quite repetitive early on. It just seemed to be scenario after scenario of how to escape from zombies, most of which involved the same sort of information. I'm sure I did a review of it in my last years Reading List, and I don't think I was all that favorable towards it.

• 1 year later...

I read the book last year and really enjoyed it, a very original take on what is becoming an old story. I saw the film this week, it was OK... just. Some tense moments but absolutely terrible acting from just about everyone, especially Brad Pitt's Wife  :banghead:

The book would be very difficult to make an accurate adaptation of, but I still think it was a missed opportunity  There are a number of brilliant scenes in the book which I can still picture vividly today, none of which were in the film.

The whole concept of the virus not targeting terminally ill people is ludicrous, how can a virus be self-aware? Let alone some how sense that others beings are sick and then have the intelligence to avoid them. Even if it was, it would still benefit from infecting everyone regardless of how long they had to live, as that person may go on to infect non-terminally ill people etc.

Viruses adapt and survive by spreading as much as possible regardless of the likelihood of infection and survival.

None of that sort of thing in the book.

Edited by Timstar

I don´t read the book but I sow the movie last week.

and was disappointing.

Its make no sense to me (like The Scientist said )that  

the virus just looks for healthy and nice people.

Most of us are sick therefore we are naturally immune

to the attack.

I don´t get it

I read the book and didn't enjoy it all that much. I suspect it is very different (in fact, almost unrelated aside from the title) to the movie. My review is here. I gave it 2/6, but others have rated it much higher.

I can understand some people not getting along with the style of the book, but I quite liked how the series of first hand accounts help to build up the story piece by piece.

and was disappointing.

to the attack.

I don´t get it

Glad i'm not the only one! 'cause it seems to be quite popular  :o

We'd bought World War Z as we saw the previews of the movie at the theatre.  I didn't have too much hope for it, but my husband is reading it now, and really likes it.  He said it's like reading the newspaper of the future.  Hopefully, I'll read it as soon as he finishes..... :)  The author, Max Brooks is the son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft, two fabulous actors, so obviously talent runs in the family! :) 

and was disappointing.

to the attack.

I don´t get it

I think that the idea was that

only people with some kind of terminal illnes are protected from the zombies

If you don't go too deep into that it is somehow acceptable. There are some prety handsome :D  zombies in the movie. If you ask me that's the best reason to watch it. It's probably the best I've seen after Resident Evil 1.

• 2 months later...

We'd bought World War Z as we saw the previews of the movie at the theatre.  I didn't have too much hope for it, but my husband is reading it now, and really likes it.  He said it's like reading the newspaper of the future.  Hopefully, I'll read it as soon as he finishes..... :)  The author, Max Brooks is the son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft, two fabulous actors, so obviously talent runs in the family! :)

The important thing for people who only watched the movie is that the book is very very very different then the movie.  Also, pay attention to some of the ways he has different societies develop in the face of the zombie threat.  I particularly liked the direction he had the Russians take.

The important thing for people who only watched the movie is that the book is very very very different then the movie.  Also, pay attention to some of the ways he has different societies develop in the face of the zombie threat.  I particularly liked the direction he had the Russians take.

Oh, the film and book are completely different animals.  We've seen the film since we read the book, and enjoyed each in their own way.

The book is superior, IMO. :)

The changed thrust of the Israeli story I didn't like in the film though. Very much didn't like.

I know it was done for "cinematic effect", but it was unnecessary, IMO.

I think the film is only good if you consider it as being unrelated to the book. I thought the book was ace, but the film really missed the boat with a lot of things. The book was great because there were a lot of distinctive stories and images: I don't want to be spoilery, but will say that my favourite tales were 'Dog Guy', 'Aircraft Woman in Swamp' and 'Japanese Computer Kid'.

I think the film is only good if you consider it as being unrelated to the book. I thought the book was ace, but the film really missed the boat with a lot of things. The book was great because there were a lot of distinctive stories and images: I don't want to be spoilery, but will say that my favourite tales were 'Dog Guy', 'Aircraft Woman in Swamp' and 'Japanese Computer Kid'.

Yup, and North Korea. 

Oh, and Paris......

Edited by pontalba

I love zombie books and movies and have read World War Z, thought it was ok but have read better zombie books including J.L Bournes Day By Day Armageddon trilogy (which i highly recommend if your a zombie fan).

I love zombie books and movies and have read World War Z, thought it was ok but have read better zombie books including J.L Bournes Day By Day Armageddon trilogy (which i highly recommend if your a zombie fan).

Thanks for the recommendation! I love zombie movies but have only just started discovering the books. :)