How Many in your TBR Pile

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow my TBR pile has increased from 233 to 337 in about 8 months. I don't know why I say 'somehow', because I know exactly how it happened...I'm addicted to buying books ;)

And now I have to go out and buy 8 more books to catch up with Prospero :irked::motz:

Kylie - you might be interested in an idea I've had, then. To shrink my TBR pile I've often thought I should implement a 'buy one book for every three of my own I read' rule. I can read as many library books as I please but they don't count towards my 'three before you buy any more' count. We could support each other as we try to kick the habit. ;)

Not that it's a bad thing, but if we buy faster than we can read, then we'll end up with houses full of books we haven't read, and that would mean they'd go to waste, practically.

It's a good idea, Prospero, and one that I've tried to implement, but obviously I'm not strong enough. ;) I'll try harder from now on I promise. And I'll start looking at each book I buy as a 'reward' for reading three others. :irked:

Kylie, you do realise I meant, "Read three books BEFORE I buy any more," not, "I bought three today so that means I have to intend to read nine?" ;)

Done. And if either of us breaks the vow we have to buy a book as a gift for the other. Of their choice. In hardback! :irked:

May I join in please?

That means the loser has to buy two books ;)

(Text books don't count though do they?)

Just to explain why I'm a worthy joiner-inner ..

381 books on my visible Mount TBR.

That does include six library books but doesn't include some hidden boxes of books which is a mixture of read and unread and I have no chance of estimating how many are in there!

My TBR pile is small. Very small. But that's partly because I've been very good in the shops recently, and partly because I read all the easy stuff when it comes in.

The problem is that although there are probably only 7 or 8 books in the pile, those 7 or 8 books have been there for years. And even if I read nothing else it would probably be 6 or 9 months before the pile is reduced.

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon, which I've just started, has been sitting there since 2000, I think. The last Pynchon I read took me 4 months.

Also in the pile is Peter Ackroyd's London: A Biography, which is 1000 densely packed pages. I read the first 400 over the course of, again, 3 or 4 months, but then came to a juddering halt.

Independent People by Laxness is sitting there, and that's long, and apparently fairly slow and bleak, although atmospheric, and I fear will take me until the end of the decade.

There's The Travels Of Marco Polo, as in, in his words, which I really should read but will be terribly turgid.

There's an Iain Banks, the only vague hint of lightness sitting there, I think. A book on the recording of Kind of Blue, which I have no real interest in reading at all but which my mum gave me.

I'm sure there are a couple of other things, too, but I forget what.

I've just whittled down Mount TBR from 135 to 94. I decided there were books on there that I was never going to read after all, due to having gone right off the idea of them or them just not appealing quiter so much any more. I figure if there ARE any I want to go back to, I can always get them from the library. I decided I had to ditch some as I was running out of space on my TBR shelves again and I couldn't get moved on my desk. :lol:

I would, but I'm shortly going to be buying lots of books for Tadpole. Would that mean I had to give away loads of my books as a result? I don't want to risk it with the ones I have left!

• 1 month later...

You see the trouble is I suffer froma chronic relapsing condition called BAS (Book Acquisition Syndrome). Everytime I go past a bookshop it calls to me. Now as a result of coming to this site I have learned you can swap books too - just one problem. No-one, and I mean no-one is having any of mine, but I want all of your's!!!!

So how many do I have on my to read list .... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ......

You see the trouble is I suffer froma chronic relapsing condition called BAS (Book Acquisition Syndrome). Everytime I go past a bookshop it calls to me. Now as a result of coming to this site I have learned you can swap books too - just one problem. No-one, and I mean no-one is having any of mine, but I want all of your's!!!!

:welcome2: well you can't :D