The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

Weave

Title of book: The Robber Bride

Name of author: Margaret Atwood

Paperback: 480 pages

Publisher: Virago Press Ltd (6 Oct 1994)

ISBN-10: 1853818410

ISBN-13: 978-1853818417

The Blurb:

Zenia is beautiful, smart and greedy, by turns manipulative and vulnerable, needy and ruthless; a man's dream and a woman''s nightmare. She is also dead. Just to make sure Tony, Roz andd Charis are there for the funeral. But five years on, as the three women share an indulgent, sisterly lunch, the unthinkable happens; 'with waves of ill will flowing out of her like cosmic radiation', Zenia is back...

This is the second book of Margaret Atwood's I have read, my first being, 'The Handmaid's Tale', 'The Robber Bride' is just as good, if not better, put it this way, why did I did not discover Margaret Atwood sooner!, two books and I am hooked on this marvellous author.

'The Robber Bride' tells the story of four women, Tony, Roz, Charis and Zenia. Zenia has touched all of the three of the women lives but not in a nice way but in a manipulative and cruel way, Zenia knows what she wants and will do what she needs to get it. Tony, Roz and Charis have had husbands/partners taken from by Zenia, but I think taken might not be a strong enough word because the men willingly go to Zenia.

In 'The Robber Bride', I think Margaret Atwood highlights the battle of the sexes with women in the forefront, specifically Zenia but as you read the book you find out about Tony, Roz and Charis who all in their own ways, just as strong as Zenia but I think they do not realise how strong they are, there is a sense of fear amongst them when it comes to Zenia.

What did I think of 'The Robber Bride'?:

I enjoyed 'The Robber Bride' immensely, I found myself wishing a little bit I could be like Zenia but in all honesty I do not have the personality or capacity to be as cold and calculated as Zenia, but you understand why she is like the way she is but at the same time I found it difficult to condone her actions, but who I am to judge?

All of the women characters were wonderful to read, the male characters not so much, which worked well in this book since primarily I felt, 'The Robber Bride' is about the power of women.

My next book to be read written by Margaret Atwood:

I am about to start reading 'Alias Grace' and I know a few members are reading it at the moment, so I look forward to discussing it with you all.

Rating: 10/10

1853818410-1.jpg

Excellent review, cheers Paula! :) Made me think about it all over again.

The theme of the battle between women is written really well, I feel: it's something I feel quite strongly about as a feminist so I appreciated Atwood's take on it.

I also like the way she really makes Tony, Roz and Charis seem quite isolated within their narratives, so even though they have eachother, they are basically alone with their verious situations and thoughts.

But I also like how Atwood reveals Zenia to be an even more isolated figure, ultimately. I didn't feel sorry for Zenia but I did end up pitying her.

Did you have a favourite character? I think it's hard to choose but Roz did make me chuckle!

Thanks Amy, I am glad you like the review (I enjoy doing them but I worry about about them afterwards):)

Roz was my favourite too, she was like a mother figure to Tony and Charis but lets face it Tony and Charis had lost out on the mum stakes, Roz was raised by a mother who had turned the other cheek with regards to her husband ex-martial affairs, but Roz then married a man who did the same, but she left Mitch instead of sticking it out as her mother had did. Tony's mother had left her to go with another man which lead to her Tony's father suicide, which I suppose shows Tony's Dad in a weak manner, then Tony ends up with West who I saw as a weak man, Charis did not know her Dad, he left too, but Charis ends up with a man who is like her Dad. There was a strong theme through the book of the same mistakes being made and of course the overall isolation all of the women felt.

The mother/daughter relationship was very apparent in this story, Roz's relationship with her own children, Roz was so determined not to repeat past mistakes I felt.

Zenia, well, Zenia was in a league of her own wasn't she?, I did pity her but I get the strong impression that Zenia would not want anyone's pity unless it suited her.

Tony ends up with West who I saw as a weak man

Yes, I thought West was a very weak person. I was quite angry with him!

There was a strong theme through the book of the same mistakes being made and of course the overall isolation all of the women felt.

Yes, I don't think it's until the end you realise that the same thing keeps happening. When you get to Roz's part, you start thinking "uh oh" :)

The mother/daughter relationship was very apparent in this story

Y'know, I think this may have slipped me by without thinking too much! Thanks for flagging it, it's very true.

Zenia, well, Zenia was in a league of her own wasn't she?, I did pity her but I get the strong impression that Zenia would not want anyone's pity unless it suited her.

She's a really odd character, isn't she? I almost felt like she was inhuman. She would seem normal at the start of everyone's story, then slowly become this total monster!!

Yeah sorry all, it will make sense when you read the book.

:)

And I agree - Zenia was like a monster, she never aged, etc

I'm now DYING to get to this one. It's been waiting for quite a while now...

I'll send you mines if you want, just pm your address x

I have it on my shelf - it's been waiting for me to get to it - LOL! Thank you for the kind offer though - very sweet of you.:)

You are welcome, I am looking forward to you reading it, want to hear what you think! x

• 3 months later...

Here's my review to add to the others...

Title: The Robber Bride

Author: Margaret Atwood

ISBN # 1853817228

Publisher: Virago

First Published: 1993

564 pages

Format: Paperback

Rating: 7/10

Synopsis:

Zenia is beautiful, smart and greedy, by turns manipulative and vulnerable, needy and ruthless; a man's dream and a woman's nightmare. She is also dead. Just to make sure Tony, Roz and Charis are there for the funeral. But five years on, as the three women share an indulgent, sisterly lunch, the unthinkable happens; 'with waves of ill will flowing out of her like cosmic radiation', Zenia is back.

Review:

I think I'm missing something - by the accounts of other readers, Margaret Atwood is a great writer, but I just don't see it. I read The Handmaid's Tale and it was all right, but I didn't feel it was anything particularly special. Now I

Interesting Kell, I enjoyed reading it.

I found West pathetic too.

Since I read 'The Robber Bride', I have read 6 Margaret Atwood, and I have found that 'The Robber Bride' is one of those books you either love, hate, or think is kind of blah.