Cormac McCarthy

muggle not

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up The Road on a whim (and the recommendations here) on Friday because it was in a 3-for-2 deal. I read it in two sittings on Sunday, because it is so gripping. What an incredibly fantastic book. It is bleak and dark and depressing, but as everyone says, it is also incredibly redemptive. The underlying core of the book is still upbeat, despite living in an evil world full of death. I love that the son is so much more naive than his dad and therefore so much more positive, and that it's only through experience that the man has become cynical. With the implication that the natural state is to be much more open and positive and trusting.

The fact that you learn nothing - no times, no places, no names, makes it all the more absorbing.

Really, one of the best things I've read all year. And I'd never read anything by McCarthy before.

Really? Because the premise of this book, not having read it, does not appeal to me. But reviews like this pique my curiosity. Between you and Adam, you might change my mind, but I'm scared!

:welcome:

I am reading Blood Meridian and I think there is only one word to describe McCarthy: brilliant! He has gone right to the head of the list with the best I have ever read.

Paul, I have been wowed by all of Cormac's writing and if my memory is correct I have much of his major works. Blood Meridian was great writing, but so is all his work.

The Road is sometimes brutal but the story is really about the love between a man and his boy and it shows that love can exist even in the midst of terror and death.

The Border Trilogy still remains at least tied for his best writing IMHO. It is really difficult to say which is his best as they are all excellent.

Cormac's writing is usually not for the timid but those that read him will be rewarded with great writing.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO Cormac McCarthy is a very good writer indeed. I endorse the comments made, but would draw your attention to the title Suttree, said to his most autobiographical. The Blood Meridian and The Road are not for the squeamish, but the ability to convey the sheer horror of the subject matter testifies to the power and quality of the writing. The Border Trilogy, Suttree and No Country For Old Men are perhaps more accessible if you are put off by the gory element. One of my favourite passages of prose is the Chapter 'The Matrix' from The Blood Meridian, but I'm not going to spoil it for you by saying why. I understand the recent film of NCfOM has done some justice to the writing, and expect sales will burgeon once the film has achieved wider exposure. There won't be a need for me to bore you at such length.

To balance this (just so you don't think I'm a complete horror-merchant) other frequently read chapters include Riddles in the Dark from The Hobbit, and The Lay of Beren and Luthien from The Silmarillion.

^I had to return it to the library today; I couldn't renew it, as someone else had reserved it. :( I didn't get very far, maybe the first 80 pages or so.... :thud:I'll have to reborrow it at a later date.

Aw shucks. That's a fine how D'ya do.

I read All the Pretty Horses recently. I thought it wasgreat. I've got the third in the trilogy, but obviously I won't read it until I've tracked down a copy of the second one. I did put something about it in my reading blog. Some of the horsey stuff went over my head though.

Eddie: there's little need to wait. All three are stand-alone stories. It's true that Cities of the Plain brings together the two protagonists from Pretty Horses and The Crossing, but they do not need to be read in sequence.

Eddie: there's little need to wait. All three are stand-alone stories. It's true that Cities of the Plain brings together the two protagonists from Pretty Horses and The Crossing, but they do not need to be read in sequence.

You are probably correct but I like reading them in sequence as it gives you a complete picture of what the author is trying to accomplish.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know...it's an old thread but I just had to jump in here.

I read "The Road" in just three sittings last weekend.

I enjoy post-apocalyptic and "survival" stories in general. I've read a lot of them. While some find them depressing, I feel just the opposite. The good ones such as this always have a theme displaying the best characteristics of mankind.

This was my first book by McCarthy. I'll read others.

dan :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Road is the best book of the 21st century, IMHO. For a book with such simple, stripped down language, it's incredibly vivid and stays with you. I put it down six months ago and still think about it.

I've also read No Country For Old Men and Blood Meridian, both of which I enjoyed.

Which McCarthy book should I read next?

The Road is the best book of the 21st century, IMHO. For a book with such simple, stripped down language, it's incredibly vivid and stays with you. I put it down six months ago and still think about it.

I've also read No Country For Old Men and Blood Meridian, both of which I enjoyed.

Which McCarthy book should I read next?

I enjoyed the "Border Trilogy". I recommend reading them in order starting with "All The Pretty Horses".

• 8 months later...

I have read 'The Road' and 'The Outer Dark' both were excellent pieces of writing.

I have 'No Country for Old Men' and 'The Border Trilogy' on my TBR pile

:)

I have read 'The Road' and 'The Outer Dark' both were excellent pieces of writing.

I have 'No Country for Old Men' and 'The Border Trilogy' on my TBR pile

:)

I will have to go back and check to see if there is any if Cormac's books that I haven't read. He is one heck of a writer.

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts on The Road, as posted on the review blog..

The Road was originally released in 2006, and one year later, it was the winner of The Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. It has received many outstanding reviews, but also some negative. With the release of Harvey Weinstein’s film in 2009, panmacmillan are releasing a film tie-in version.

The Road tells of a journey taken by a man and his son, years following an unnamed catastrophe that has befallen North America, and presumably the rest of the world. There are brief hints as to what has happened, but nothing more. Most of life has gone.. plants are dead, and most species are extinct.

This is not an action tale, which seems to be the main point of the negative reviews. The story does not depend on moments of drama or terror, but rather the day to day struggle to exist, in a bleak world.

The style is basic and minimal, with no chapters, and no speech marks. It takes a while to get used to, but once involved in the book, the style allows the journey and the story to unfold, without any distraction.

Set against this dark background, is the close relationship between the father and son, as they continuously strive to survive. This closeness is ever apparent, as they rely on each other day to day. Through them you feel fear, love and also hope, as they attempt their continuous journey together.

An action book this may not be, but it’s certainly one that will leave a lasting impression on you.

I thought The Road was excellent- I read dome of his earlier works but I haven't gotten to No Contry For Old Men yet- his writing style does take some getting used to