Snooker

Ben

Such a sad day for snooker after the announcement of Stephen Hendry's retirement. I guess there's always a stage where you need to stop and hang up your boots though, and as he explained in his interview he doesn't enjoy it any more. Without a doubt one of the best - if not the best - player to ever play the game. I'll post a link to his interview below if anyone's interested - it's a good listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17918756

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was very surprised! Such a great player, wish him all the best.

Ah I wasn't really, he was considering it last year as well. I think he can be pretty happy with his career though. :lol:

Routing for Carter over Jones, think he deserves the win more plus he's from Colchester! Lives just 10 miles away from me.

Same! There's just something about him that's endearing as well.

O' Sullivan is looking the better in todays session, first two frames easily won.

Make that four! Couple of mistakes in the last couple but he's in fine confidence and form this afternoon - just what I like to see. :D

Edited by Ben

Well it was closer than I expected when he won them six frames in a row this afternoon, but I'm delighted with how Ronnie played. Robertson was pretty much one of the favourites to win this tournament so O'Sullivan had to be in great shape to come through this quarter-final. I'd love to see him go on and win it now, but there's some tough opposition in his way - Matthew Stevens next. :D

Routing for Carter over Jones, think he deserves the win more plus he's from Colchester! Lives just 10 miles away from me.

Bet you got a bit worried towards the end of that one. :lol:

Semi-finals heating up nicely then. I was disappointed Ronnie couldn't capitalise on winning the first four frames against Matthew Stevens, eventually coming out 5-3 in the lead. They resume in about ten minutes. :D As for the other game, Carter's really starting to pull away into a lead now at 10-6. I think the next couple are important for Maguire otherwise he'll find it hard to come back into the match.

Ronnie now up to 9-5 and on his way to 10. Playing very well. Carter definitely being playing better today, nothing special from Maguire so far.

Love seeing Ronnie play left-handed, it's so natural you don't even notice at first.

Ronnie now up to 9-5 and on his way to 10. Playing very well. Carter definitely being playing better today, nothing special from Maguire so far.

Make that 11-5, six in a row to finish out today's session. I was a little worried at first when Stevens got himself back to 5-5 but it's been all The Rocket from then on in, and he's looked in championship winning form. I'm fancying a Carter vs. O'Sullivan final here, a repeat of '08, and it should be fantastic. :D

Love seeing Ronnie play left-handed, it's so natural you don't even notice at first.

I can't believe how easy he makes it look - apparently in an exhibition match he swapped hands every shot just for laughs. :lol:

Well I have to admit when Ali Carter went up 14-7 tonight that I thought it was pretty much all over, but Stephen Maguire has done magnificently to claw himself back to 14-10. I'd still fancy Ali to come out on top in the final session but it's made it much more interesting indeed.

Come on Ronnie!! Wouldn't it be fantastic if he won? He's such a great player to watch and he's been so consistent this tournament.

Oooh we have another person to talk snooker with. :D Ronnie's always been my favourite and I've honestly thought in previous years in this tournament that he's never looked like going the distance; mainly because I've never believed that he can keep his head in the right place and stay enjoying his snooker long enough to actually win the tournament. Whenever he's come up against someone very good in the latter stages of this tournament I've always worried, but his snooker has been fantastic and I honestly think he'll go the whole way if he can stay playing the way he has. I'm very excited to see him try.

I know what you mean, he does seem to get to a point where he loses focus and his game suffers enormously then he was great trouble getting back on form, but if he never loses it in the first place then he is unstoppable.

Yeah it's mostly down to his mindset in all fairness, he gets bored very easily while playing and then his game understandably just falls to pieces. He's been admittedly much better since he started seeing a sports psychologist, and it's reflected a lot in his play - particularly this season where he's been great.

I sort of dip in and out of snooker .. it depends on who's playing. If it's Peter Ebdon for example I can't watch .. I find it coma inducing. I like Neil Robertson and Stephen Maguire, Mark Selby and Judd Trump but Ronnie is my absolute favourite .. I think he is just a genius. He is a bit of a worry though .. you never know which Ronnie you're going to get but so far so good.

I don't know why .. I can't put my finger on it .. but I can't warm to 'the captain' (might be him whinging the other day about Judd might be the Peter Ebdon connection.) Would prefer to see Stephen go through but all that organic carrot juice seems to be working so far.

I sort of dip in and out of snooker .. it depends on who's playing. If it's Peter Ebdon for example I can't watch .. I find it coma inducing. I like Neil Robertson and Stephen Maguire, Mark Selby and Judd Trump but Ronnie is my absolute favourite .. I think he is just a genius. He is a bit of a worry though .. you never know which Ronnie you're going to get but so far so good.

I don't blame you for not wanting to watch Peter Ebdon, he's just so slow. You pretty much like all the players I do, aside from I haven't got much of a love for Judd, prefer someone like Higgins. I've got a tendency to show some support for Shaun Murphy too, there's something endearing about him. Ronnie most certainly is a genius, but sometimes supporting him can just be too much for the nerves. :lol:

I don't know why .. I can't put my finger on it .. but I can't warm to 'the captain' (might be him whinging the other day about Judd might be the Peter Ebdon connection.) Would prefer to see Stephen go through but all that organic carrot juice seems to be working so far.

I quite like Ali, as I'm not keen on Judd I think his comments didn't really bother me too much. Aha, yeah it's looking unlikely that Stephen will pull it out but you never know. :D

Did you see the 25th frame of the Carter/Maguire match? Over 45 minutes and fantastic snooker from Carter, Maguire got lucky quite a few times but Carter didn't let it bother him and played some amazing shots and definitely deserved the frame.

Did you see the 25th frame of the Carter/Maguire match? Over 45 minutes and fantastic snooker from Carter, Maguire got lucky quite a few times but Carter didn't let it bother him and played some amazing shots and definitely deserved the frame.

I did yes, thoroughly enjoyable stuff - we all like to see the big centuries but it's the tactical battles that are enthralling for me. He's done a good job winning 17-12 and with Ronnie 15-9 up, I can see the other final place being booked up quickly tonight. Should be a fantastic final.

Edited by Ben

Argh well I'm not going to say I'm totally disappointed with the first two sessions of the final today, as Ronnie leads 10-7, but I feel he should already have the title in sight and be a little further ahead. Ali's been pretty poor tonight but as the commentators were saying, to get out of the session just 5-4 down will feel like a fantastic result for him. He's showed exceptional grit and determination to stay within touching distance - makes for an interesting final day. :D

Yay!! well done Ronnie!

I'm still not warming to Ali .. he seemed to be trying to stare Ronnie out during an earlier handshake .. bet that was Ebdons idea :D

That handshake thing just amused me, was like he was trying to unnerve him. :lol:

In all fairness though, he's been without a shadow of the doubt the best player in the tournament; he's kept a wonderful temperament and showed us all some utterly sublime snooker throughout the championship. I'm also very pleased to hear him entertaining thoughts of carrying on after he's had a break, because when he's playing like this he can definitely keep winning tournaments - maybe even world championships. :D