The Bodyfinder series by Kimberly Derting

Michelle

I've just finished the third book in this series, and I loved the direction it's now taking. Apparently I didn't start a thread for it after the initial book, so here's one now! :)

The Body Finder

The Body Finder was first published in hardback in March 2010, and was greeted with excellent reviews. It somehow managed to pass me by however, but I was sent a copy once it was out in paperback.

The book combines two interesting aspects – the first is a girl called Violet who’s able to sense an ‘echo’ on dead bodies, and also on their killers. This can be a sound, smell or visual effect, and killer and victim match up.

At the same time, this is also a tale of a serial killer on the loose, something I haven’t come across in a YA book before. This aspect means that this a book for teens and above, rather than younger readers, and it’s a really good introduction to that particular genre.

With Violet’s abilities, it apparent that she’s going to become involved in the murders, but it’s unsure for some time to what extent.

Wrapped around the thriller is a teen love story. A lot of time is spent looking at the evolving relationship of Violet and her best friend Jay, and to me, the conclusion to this was never in doubt. Jay is definitely lovely, but the overall niceness of both of these characters gives it a YA feel. Teenage readers will probably love it, but adults may find it a little too sweet – especially alongside the aspect of a serial killer.

Overall though, this is an enjoyable book, with some rather interesting aspects. It has a lot to offer for a YA book, and should appeal to many people. I understand that there will be a follow up book in February 2011, entitled Desires of the Dead, and I will certainly be looking out for it.

The Last Echo

The Last Echo is the third book in the Bodyfinder series, and for fans of YA series, if you missed the first book, I seriously suggest you go an find it!

I reviewed the original book back in 2010, and looking back, I enjoyed the serial killer part, but found the romance part a little too ‘sweet’. However, the actual concept and story has stayed with me, unlike many other books which disappear into the depths of my memory. I then actually missed the second book, and when I looked up reviews, they weren’t quite as positive. However, the synopsis of this one looked interesting, so I decided to give it a try.

Brilliant decision!

icon_smile.gif?m=1129645325g

For those of you new to the series, Violet has an unusual ability – she can ‘feel’ echoes which the dead leave behind, as well as the matching imprint on the killer. As a child, this seems limited to the birds her cat catches, but when she finds a murdered body, this all changes.

The first two books look at Violet’s developing ability, and the dangers it brings, alongside her relationship with her boyfriend.

The Last Echo brings an interesting new layer, as Violet is invited to join a group of teens, all with varying abilities. We’re gradually introduced to these new characters, finding out a little about their backgrounds, and abilities. They appear really interesting, and I was disappointed to think that this may be a trilogy, and these characters may never be developed.

It appears however, that the forth book is due out next year, and I think this series holds a lot of potential. Enough potential actually, that I can even imagine a TV series.

For teens, this series provides a great introduction into crime fiction, and for anyone who enjoys a good YA series, I would recommend a look.

• 11 months later...

Review for Dead Silence...

Dead Silence is the 4th book in The Body Finder series, and if you’re new to it, it’s important to go back and read these in order.  The Body Finder introduces us to Violet, a young girl with an unusual ability – she can sense ‘imprints’ on murdered bodies, as well as a matching imprint on the people who have killed them, and you can read my full review here.

This first book lays the foundations, and brings some interesting concepts and ideas. It’s the first YA book I’ve come across with a serial killer, and is an excellent introduction to the crime / thriller genre for teen readers.

By the 3rd book, The Last Echo, Violet joins a group of similar young people, with varying abilities, which adds a brilliant new layer to the story. The characters are all interesting and believable, and the love story and relationships appear very real. The serial killer aspect is also amped up, with an author who knows how to write creepy.

It’s difficult to review Dead Silence without giving away spoilers. Violet finds her grandmother’s diaries, which teach her more about her ability, and also about Dr Lee, who readers will remember from the end of The Last Echo.  Violet’s relationships continue to develop and change, and it’s this which adds a very human touch in contrast to the evil they’re exposed to. Once again Kimberley brings a chilling killer, and there’s no holding back!

The Body Finder series has, for me, gotten better with each book, and I’m so disappointed that Kimberley doesn’t intend to continue it. However, whilst there are no cliffhangers or unfinished threads, it does end in a way which leaves us with hope. I’m sure there is more to tell, even if Kimberley explores the stories of the other characters.

For fans of the series, you’ll want to go and get this final book as soon as you can, and it won’t disappoint. For YA readers who haven’t yet tried The Body Finder, go and find it, you have a great series ahead!