I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith

I assume you mean 'couldn't' Paula as I am the same I have given it another couple of tries but think it is a no from me too.

I meant couldn't, sorry everyone :blush2:

Again, wonderful answers everyone, of what I read, I did like Cassandra, she was such a bright character, I hope to go back to 'I Capture The Castle' one day :)

I particularly liked the earlier part of the book, where the girls go to collect fur coats they've inherited and come home on the train and get mistaken for a bear. Topaz dyeing everything green and communing with nature. I love their eccentricities.

I felt it slightly dragged for me nearer the middle, where Cassandra was unhappily in love.

Isn't it funny .. I liked the bit best where Cassandra was unhappily in love .. I don't know what that says about me but it just shows how a story can appeal to different people in different ways. I did like the bit about the fur coats though :D Oh bless them and they were hoping for sables or something :D

This is the first Dodie Smith book I've read, I can't quite think of another book that would precisely fit this genre. Maybe Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons?? Loved that too. Same sort of eccentric humour perhaps.

I am now going to read Dear Dodie by Valerie Grove, a biography of her life because she sounds such a fascinating character.

Yay .. I hope you enjoy it Poppy :smile: .. she was an eccentric which is probably why it was easy for her to write about them. Cold Comfort Farm is similar though perhaps not quite as comfy cosy .. it had a much darker edge I thought but I loved it too.

Definitely. And it's a book I'm sure I will re-read at some stage.

It's one of the few 'old friends' on my bookshelf .. most never get re-read but one or two do and this one would be almost top of the list if it wasn't for the Austen's :smile: .. ooh and A Christmas Carol which is probably no. 1 in my re-read top twenty.

• 6 months later...

Who was your favourite character, and why?

Cassandra. She was a delightful child-woman. Bright, honest, with an enviable awareness of herself.

I also loved the vicar. He came across as a warm person, always ready for a laugh. Sensitive to the people around him, and yet never pushy about religion. I'm quite fond of him.

Was there a particular part that you enjoyed or disliked more than the rest?

I liked the first bit of the book a lot - when "nothing was happening".

It introduced all the characters beautifully and I really wanted to know more about them. The sisters' visit to London was heart-breaking-ly hilarious.

I also liked the exchange between Cassandra and the vicar. On how he having realised that she was suffering, very subtly and gently, gets her to spend time alone in the church and open herself up to healing. And she goes along with it quite naively. That whole bit really touched me.

Were there any parts or ideas you struggled with?

I was a bit muddled in the end about her fathers puzzles and his new book.

Overall, did you find it an enjoyable experience?

Yes it was. I think the mind of a 17-18 year old girl was captured brilliantly - with careful attention paid to detail.

I wish I had read it growing up though - I think I'd have liked it even better.

I'd like to add a question too, if anyone feels like answering it, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

What do you think happens to Cassandra after this? Whom do you see her ending up with?

At times she seemed to talk as a young teenager, and at other times she spoke of things as though she was bordering on adulthood.

Oh chesil, I think by writing that you've paid Dodie Smith a huge compliment :)

That's exactly how I see teenagers - sometimes behaving as children, sometimes as adults, and no one, not even they, know which avatar will surface when!

Edited by bree

3. Was there a particular part that you enjoyed or disliked more than the rest?

The part after Rose leaves for London (but not for that reason :D) Firstly we have Cassandra performing the rites for the last time and going to Scoatney for that fateful kiss with Simon and then we have her ecstacy and subsequent misery in finding herself in love with him. It is tragic but, at this point anyway, almost comic ..

'Another great luxury is letting myself cry - I always feel marvellously peaceful after that. But it is difficult to arrange times for it, as my face takes so long to recover'

'I can't think why misery makes me lean against walls, but it does'

'You can't cry on Heloise, she thumps her tail sympathetically but looks embarrassed and moves away'.

One of the reasons I liked this part best was that it really is just Cassandra on her own .. most of the family are now tied up in other places and everything concentrates down somewhat. Misery makes Cassandra restless and for a while she hardly knows what to do with herself, she trudges around the village cadging drinks from the vicar and Mrs Jakes .. 'suddenly I felt the most bitter hatred for Rose's green creme de menthe and a deep affection for my ruby cherry brandy' .. when Mrs Jakes serves her a cherry brandy she gloats over the fact that there will be more missing from the cherry brandy bottle and 'now everyone will think that cherry brandy's the popular one'. It's ridiculously petty but so typical of a jealous heart. Cassandra steps into the real world now and begins to shake off all her old childish notions .. poor old imaginary Miss Blossom reverts back to being a mere dressmakers dummy (and that piece of writing alone was incredible) and poor Stephen saves all of his money to buy her a wireless for her birthday only to be usurped by Simon's more expensive and more treasured present of a gramaphone/wireless (again I loved the way this whole scenario played out with Cassandra almost jumping through hoops in order not to disappoint Stephen but being resentful about it into the bargain and annoyed .. there was such an element of truth to it.)

I loved reading your thoughts on this poppyshake - the bits you've quoted are wonderful!

I remember reading on another thread that Cassandra is your favourite fictional female character - I'm glad I got to read your thoughts on her. :)

2. Who was your favourite character (from one story or from each story), and why?

I think Topaz is my favourite character within the novel. She is not only elegant and eccentric, but also kind and caring towards her step children. In most novels, the step parents is portrayed as unpleasant and aloof, so it was a nice change to have a reasonably positive portrayal of a step parent.

My favourite character in the whole book is Topaz. I like her gentle spirit and her artiness and her naked communing with nature, and the fact that she loves the two girls unselfishly; no evil stepmother stuff here.

I really liked your thoughts on Topaz. She is lovely isn't she?

:)

I liked the part where you are told how the father ends up in prison. This line in particular Father explained in court that killing a woman with our silver cake-knife would be a long, weary business entailing sawing her to death.

That quote was brilliant!

Great pick kidsmum :D

Who was your favourite character and why?

Although not featuring prominently, I grew fond of the Vicar and also Mrs Marcy, the local librarian and school teacher.

I particularly liked the earlier part of the book, where the girls go to collect fur coats they've inherited and come home on the train and get mistaken for a bear. Topaz dyeing everything green and communing with nature. I love their eccentricities.

I felt it slightly dragged for me nearer the middle, where Cassandra was unhappily in love.

The vicar was a dear, wasn't he :)

I really liked the first part too - before the boys came in and complicated everything :D

• 2 weeks later...

I loved reading your thoughts on this poppyshake - the bits you've quoted are wonderful!

I remember reading on another thread that Cassandra is your favourite fictional female character - I'm glad I got to read your thoughts on her. :)

Awww .. thanks bree :smile:I'm very happy that you liked the book. Cassandra is one of JK Rowling's favourite characters too .. I probably wrote that earlier :blush2: I'm guessing you haven't seen the adaptation? It's not bad actually, it's worth seeing if you get the chance.

rose.jpg

Rose (played by Rose Byrne) with her creme de menthe and Cassandra (played by Romola Garai) in the background :) Bill Nighy plays their father.

...I'm guessing you haven't seen the adaptation? It's not bad actually, it's worth seeing if you get the chance.

Rose (played by Rose Byrne) with her creme de menthe and Cassandra (played by Romola Garai) in the background :) Bill Nighy plays their father.

And don't forget Tara Fitzgerald as Topaz :)

I don't know any of those actors :blush2: - but I'd love to watch it - will check if I can find a DVD of it.

Thank you letting me know poppy and poppyshake

(That sounds a bit like Thomson & Thompson from Tintin :giggle: )

Edited by bree

I don't know any of those actors :blush2: - but I'd love to watch it - will check if I can find a DVD of it.

Thank you letting me know poppy and poppyshake

(That sounds a bit like Thomson & Thompson from Tintin :giggle: )

It's well worth watching if you get the chance, bree.

(That's us, but poppyshake's costume has spots :D)

Edited by poppy