I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith

Welcome to the May 2012 Reading Circle for I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith

It is assumed that you have read the book before reading posts in this thread, as the discussion might give away crucial points, and the continuous use of spoiler tags might hinder fluent reading of posts.

I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith

3-7.jpg4-4.jpg

Synopsis (from fantastic fiction):

This is the journal of Cassandra Mortmain; an extraordinary account of life with her extraordinary family. First, there is her eccentric father. Then there is her sister, Rose - beautiful, vain and bored - and her stepmother, Topaz, an artist's model who likes to commune with nature. Finally, there is Stephen, dazzlingly handsome and hopelessly in love with Cassandra.

In the cold and crumbling castle which is their home, Cassandra records events with characteristic honesty, as she tries to come to terms with her own feelings. The result is both marvellously funny and genuinely moving.

Some basic questions to consider:

1. Which story was your favourite, and why?

2. Who was your favourite character (from one story or from each story), and why?

3. Was there a particular part that you enjoyed or disliked more than the rest?

4. Was this the first book you've read in this genre, or by this author? Has it encouraged you to read more?

5. Were there any parts or ideas you struggled with?

6. How did you find the experience of reading a collection of short stories? Were you able to engage with the characters in the same way?

7. Overall, did you find it an enjoyable experience?

I am looking forward to reading it with you all, happy reading :bookworm:

Edited by Weave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, how are you all doing? Welcome to May's reading circle, looking forward to reading your thoughts :)

I enjoyed the plot line which followed Cassandra's father regaining the confidence and inspiration to come out of his depression and begin writing again. I can relate to this character, as Cassandra's father is similar to someone I actually know.

2. Who was your favourite character (from one story or from each story), and why?

I think Topaz is my favourite character within the novel. She is not only elegant and eccentric, but also kind and caring towards her step children. In most novels, the step parents is portrayed as unpleasant and aloof, so it was a nice change to have a reasonably positive portrayal of a step parent.

The part I enjoyed best was when Cassandra and Rose travel to London to retrieve the fur coats. The descriptions of the landscape was full of energy and I could feel the connection that the two sisters had with each other. I also enjoyed the part when Cassandra is performing the Midsummer ritual, purely for its description.

The part I disliked, was the plunge into depression that Cassandra felt, after kissing Simon. I felt that her reaction to this and the subsequent distance from Simon, was over dramatic and annoying, considering that she helped Rose to get together with Simon in the first place.

4. Was this the first book you've read in this genre, or by this author? Has it encouraged you to read more?

Yes 'I Capture the Castle' was the first novel I have read by Dodie Smith and judging by the beautiful descriptions within this novel, I would definitely read more of Smith's novels.

The elements I struggled with, were the plotting Cassandra and Rose made, for Rose to marry a rich man. I also found it particularly difficult to deal with the part when Rose kisses the angel/devil in the house in order to capture a man. I thought this portrayed them as weak females characters.

6. How did you find the experience of reading a collection of short stories? Were you able to engage with the characters in the same way?

I would disagree that 'I Capture the Castle' is a collection of short stories. For me, a collection of short stories are unique, self contained stories put together, whereas 'I Capture the Castle' is a complete story, told in diary entries.

Yes I enjoyed 'I Capture the Castle'. It's extremely well written and has believable, well formed characters.

Edited by karen.d

Thanks for your answers Karen, I am starting the book when I finish my current read :) and looking forward to reading your thoughts Laura :)

I loved the whole book from the beginning to end, I especially liked the descriptions of the castle and surrounds. I have always been fascinated with castles and old buildings, my aunt (mostly) and a couple of cousins did our family tree, and it turns out somewhere along the line, we may have owned a castle! I couldn't help but think that what Cassandra felt about the castle, I would have too. I love the fact that I got the feeling they were stepping back in time when at the castle, and moving to the future when in London.

Just a quick side line to explain, my grandad is from England originally. Smethwick in fact, and my mothers grandparents were from Sussex and London. It's believed to have been on the latters side somewhere.

Hmm, I didn't have a favourite but I enjoyed Topaz, and felt a bit for Stephen after he saw Cassandra's present for Simon, especially after he worked so hard to get her the wireless radio.

I think the part I enjoyed the most was the descriptive way of life (both past and present) in and around the castle, and the town itself too. I would love to explore a castle myself one day. The trip to London was also fascinating.

I didn't like the way Cassandra handled the Stephen situation, I think she should have said something of her lack of feelings towards him earlier.

Yes, it is the first time I have read a book by Dodie Smith, and I think I may check out her other books in the future.

I found Cassandra's ignorance of her family annoying sometimes, like when she would say she didn't know this or that about family members when writing in her journals. It made her feel a tad cold at times.

I agree with Karen on this. I felt that it was a complete story, and was actually surprised to read here that it is a collection of short stories.

Yes, it surprised me a little because I know Dodie Smith wrote 101 Dalmatians and I wasn't sure what to expect with I capture the Castle. I am glad to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Devi

I really enjoyed this novel. I read the introduction and I must admit that this prejudiced me greatly into liking the novel before I even started it; I pictured Dodie rewriting everything over and over and her husband Alan making the model for her of the castle and both of them living with the book for years like an extra person in their marriage.

To put it into a few words the novel is about a young girl learning about life and relationships. I think Dodie has got as close inside the mind of a teenage girl as is possible. (Ok, I have never been one myself, but the sickly miserable up and down state and fantasies that Cassandra relates the days she is in love with Simon are uncannily like the true life thoughts of Anne Frank in her diary.)

My favourite character in the whole book is Topaz. I like her gentle spirit and her artiness and her naked communing with nature, and the fact that she loves the two girls unselfishly; no evil stepmother stuff here.

I liked the old crumbly castle, always a winner with me, and I liked the way that children in those days were so well behaved and well spoken.

Cassandra almost jumps off the page as a real character, her intelligence and wit but also her girlish misunderstandings of some situations (because of her age) are a joy , because they allow you to read between the lines.

This plot device of a written journal I am sure was not new but it works brilliantly here; modern day examples (Bridget Jones, Adrian Mole) are really pathetic in comparison.

This is a book I would Never have picked up in a million years but I am glad I did, thanks to the Reading Circle.

I read this book with my reading group about 18 months ago, and I remember that I didn't really enjoy it, so I couldn't bring myself to read it again for the reading circle. Going back through my old notes, here's what I thought about the book back then. I think I may be the only person who didn't like it in my reading group, and probably the only person who didn't like it here :(

A very English novel, written at a time when there was no genre called "Young Adult" and books were either for children or adults, and playwright Dodie Smith wrote this, her first novel and a story of teenagers and first love told by Cassandra about her eccentric family.

I'd heard lots of people talk with affection for this book, so I'd settled in for a good read when I picked up my copy for my reading group, but I actually found it quite an unsettling read. Although the narrator says how old she is on the first page, I'd actually forgotten this fairly quickly, and struggled to place her. At times she seemed to talk as a young teenager, and at other times she spoke of things as though she was bordering on adulthood. I wonder if maybe it's because I was an only child plus I don't have any children, so I don't have any experience with teenagers as an adult myself, and therefore I can't see objectively that this is how a teenager is? It just didn't ring true with me.

And I didn't only struggle with Cassandra, I also had problems with other members of the family. Her younger brother was spoken of as a child initially, then towards the end of the book, it seems as though the author suddenly needed him to be almost an adult, and he is shoe-horned into the plot with knowledge of psychiatric principles! I did like Topaz, who I felt was the most believable character, who despite her eccentricities, also brought a sense of normality to the family.

I didn't like the development of the relationships between Rose and Cassandra with Simon and Neil, it all felt too staged and predictable, but I wonder if this was more original at the time it was written, and I've read many other books and seen films since which have similar stories.

An uneven narrative and I didn't find any humour in the book which others have commented on. I didn't feel satisfied by the book, and felt a bit discomforted by some of the story, and overall, I just didn't enjoy it.

I absolutely loved this book & would put it in my top 5 favourite books of all time I was captivated from the first few pages & didn't want it to end. I loved the castle setting & even though Cassandra & her family were very poor they had in my opinion quite an idyllic life in that their time was their own & they seemed to do pretty much what they wanted.

Cassandra was by far my favourite character she had such a childlike honesty especially when she was examining her own feelings towards Simon & Rose & I kept having to remind myself that she was seventeen.

I liked the part where you are told how the father ends up in prison. This line in particular Father explained in court that killing a woman with our silver cake-knife would be a long, weary business entailing sawing her to death.Also when Rose dressed in a fur coat is mistaken for an escaped bear & pursued across the train tracks was just hilarious.There wasn't any part of the book I disliked but I didn't like their father I thought he was completely useless & he really got on my nerves.

This is the first book I've read by Dodie Smith I already had it on my TBR pile but it probably would have been quite awhile before I got round to reading it as it was in one of my upstairs boxes so I'm really pleased it came up as a reading circle choice & yes I would definitely read more by this author.

No not any I can think of.

Yes I thoroughly enjoyed this book .

I really really enjoyed this book, it was fantastic and I loved every single part of it. Why I hadnt read it before is beyond me. Its going on my 'favourite books' shelf soon!

My favourite character has to be Cassandra. I loved her innocence but at the same time she was very grown up for her seventeen years. I loved her attitude to everything.

I enjoyed it all a lot, but my favourite part has to be at the end where the father starts to write again. Its built up throughout the book and for him to be writing again just gives the book a magical end.

The only part I didnt like was when Stephen left and said that he wouldnt ever come back. I can understand his reasoning for this, but it was just a huge part of his life at the castle and for it to end just seemed so sad!

It wasnt the first in the genre but it was the first by the author. I definitaly want to read more by this author though as this book was so good!

the only thing that I struggled with was the fathers attitude to the children and his wife with his writing. when he said 'you wouldnt understand it' it made him see a bit condescending.

As others have said, I wouldnt say that this book is a collection of short stories. it was more one story told through diary entries.

Yes! I really enjoyed this book and will definitaly be revisting it in the future :)

I don't have any problem thinking of Cassandra being 17. I think she was fairly typical of well-read children back then , who were perfectly capable of reasoned thought and had to develop early a sense of responsibility. I think that teenagers now have lost that completely. TV has taken away their minds and they don't have a thought in their heads that is not put there from an external source. It is a waste and quite dangerous, in my opinion.

I read this book with my reading group about 18 months ago, and I remember that I didn't really enjoy it, so I couldn't bring myself to read it again for the reading circle. Going back through my old notes, here's what I thought about the book back then. I think I may be the only person who didn't like it in my reading group, and probably the only person who didn't like it here :(

A very English novel, written at a time when there was no genre called "Young Adult" and books were either for children or adults, and playwright Dodie Smith wrote this, her first novel and a story of teenagers and first love told by Cassandra about her eccentric family.

I'd heard lots of people talk with affection for this book, so I'd settled in for a good read when I picked up my copy for my reading group, but I actually found it quite an unsettling read. Although the narrator says how old she is on the first page, I'd actually forgotten this fairly quickly, and struggled to place her. At times she seemed to talk as a young teenager, and at other times she spoke of things as though she was bordering on adulthood. I wonder if maybe it's because I was an only child plus I don't have any children, so I don't have any experience with teenagers as an adult myself, and therefore I can't see objectively that this is how a teenager is? It just didn't ring true with me.

I agree with you on this. At times, I felt that she was very immature, so I found it difficult to pinpoint the age of Cassandra. Possibly at the time of the novel, teenagers were less mature than they are nowadays, but I felt like her immaturity wasn't realistic.

I haven't made any progress due to lack of mojo thingy. :blush2:

28/5....still struggling with this one.

Edited by Inver

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late Paula :friends0: .. I'm just so behind at the moment :(

I didn't really see them as separate stories but if split into books then I liked 'The Sixpenny Book' best .. the first chapter is just phenomenal and really sets the scene. The story doesn't alter much in style so if you don't like it at this point you probably never will. However, my favourite bits came in the last book (see below.)

2. Who was your favourite character, and why?

Cassandra .. she's so honest and open and I love her way of thinking, she makes me laugh but has the ability also to make me feel quite sad and crumpled. She seems to be the most responsible of them all but also quite fanciful. I like the way in which we see her come of age. I didn't think she was ever 'consciously naive' but she is a little bit unworldly to begin with and then suddenly she grows up. The one thing about diarists is that they have to be interesting otherwise you end up not giving a flying fig about reading their innermost thoughts .. to me she was infinitely interesting and infinitely quotable.

The part after Rose leaves for London (but not for that reason :D) Firstly we have Cassandra performing the rites for the last time and going to Scoatney for that fateful kiss with Simon and then we have her ecstacy and subsequent misery in finding herself in love with him. It is tragic but, at this point anyway, almost comic ..

'Another great luxury is letting myself cry - I always feel marvellously peaceful after that. But it is difficult to arrange times for it, as my face takes so long to recover'

'I can't think why misery makes me lean against walls, but it does'

'You can't cry on Heloise, she thumps her tail sympathetically but looks embarrassed and moves away'.

One of the reasons I liked this part best was that it really is just Cassandra on her own .. most of the family are now tied up in other places and everything concentrates down somewhat. Misery makes Cassandra restless and for a while she hardly knows what to do with herself, she trudges around the village cadging drinks from the vicar and Mrs Jakes .. 'suddenly I felt the most bitter hatred for Rose's green creme de menthe and a deep affection for my ruby cherry brandy' .. when Mrs Jakes serves her a cherry brandy she gloats over the fact that there will be more missing from the cherry brandy bottle and 'now everyone will think that cherry brandy's the popular one'. It's ridiculously petty but so typical of a jealous heart. Cassandra steps into the real world now and begins to shake off all her old childish notions .. poor old imaginary Miss Blossom reverts back to being a mere dressmakers dummy (and that piece of writing alone was incredible) and poor Stephen saves all of his money to buy her a wireless for her birthday only to be usurped by Simon's more expensive and more treasured present of a gramaphone/wireless (again I loved the way this whole scenario played out with Cassandra almost jumping through hoops in order not to disappoint Stephen but being resentful about it into the bargain and annoyed .. there was such an element of truth to it.)

I've read The One Hundred and One Dalmatians which I enjoyed a lot ... there was more to it than I thought there would be. I've also read a biography called Dear Dodie which was fascinating because she's just such an eccentric character. I should read more by her given how much I've enjoyed what I have read but it's the same old story .. not enough time and too many books jostling for attention, also unless you dig about for them they're not that readily available.

Not really, I didn't have a problem with Rose wanting to marry for money .. given the circumstances they were in it's only natural that she should be fed up with living in poverty (I'm not saying that it's right that anyone would .. only that it's normal for them to wish for it). The girls hardly have anything of their own and it can't be said that homelife is all that happy, they haven't even enough to eat (it's not their lack of grand things that upsets but their lack of proper things .. like their shabby towels and moth eaten swimsuits and underwear :() Their father is neglectful and Topaz .. though doing her best .. is not their mother. Common sense eventually prevails and Rose does end up following her heart .. and though Neil has money I feel she would have done just the same even if he hadn't. As for Stephen and Cassandra .. obviously you can't help having tremendous sympathy for Stephen and in a way I hoped (on the first reading) that they would get together .. Cassandra often seemed on the edge of falling in love with him but you can't marry someone just because they are the person who loves you best or the person that would be best for you because they wouldn't be .. not if you didn't love them. It would be just as understandable but just as bad as Rose marrying Simon for his money.

Totally, it's a book I've long loved and it was an absolute pleasure to revisit it. Every time I read it I find something new to enjoy, I think it will always be on the list of my best loved books .. it always makes my 'cottage bookshelf list' which is a list I drew up after sharing my holiday with yet another depressing holiday cottage bookcase (for the most part they are book graveyards .. full of books nobody cares enough about to take home.) I always thought everyone would love it but I'm not so sure now. I do love books set in crumbly old castles though .. I feel well disposed towards them from the start.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so sorry everyone that I have not been around, I am hoping this improve. I am also sorry to say that I could get into 'I capture the Castle' at all, All of your answers have been wonderful, I am glad you enjoyed it. :)

. I am also sorry to say that I could get into 'I capture the Castle' at all, All of your answers have been wonderful, I am glad you enjoyed it. :)

I assume you mean 'couldn't' Paula as I am the same I have given it another couple of tries but think it is a no from me too.

Who was your favourite character and why?

I liked several of the characters in this book. I loved Cassandra, she's very kind but also very witty in her writing. Topaz is delightful, a lovely unselfish stepmother but also quite unconventional in what she wears (and doesn't wear on occasion :D) Steven is very likable too. They are all quite stoical in the face of dire poverty.

Although not featuring prominently, I grew fond of the Vicar and also Mrs Marcy, the local librarian and school teacher.

I particularly liked the earlier part of the book, where the girls go to collect fur coats they've inherited and come home on the train and get mistaken for a bear. Topaz dyeing everything green and communing with nature. I love their eccentricities.

I felt it slightly dragged for me nearer the middle, where Cassandra was unhappily in love.

Was this the first book you've read in this genre, or by this author? Has it encouraged you to read more?

This is the first Dodie Smith book I've read, I can't quite think of another book that would precisely fit this genre. Maybe Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons?? Loved that too. Same sort of eccentric humour perhaps.

I am now going to read Dear Dodie by Valerie Grove, a biography of her life because she sounds such a fascinating character.

Definitely. And it's a book I'm sure I will re-read at some stage.