Summer Olympics

Katrina1968

lady Andrade of Colombia should be thrown out of the Olympics. This is not what the Olympics are all about. A flagrant punch in the face should be grounds for a ban from the games. I am freaking furious!!!! Fans everywhere should call for action from the officials, unless this is the type of sportsmanship that you favor.

The U.S. women's soccer team walked away from its second match of the London Olympics with three more points (and six total) in the group stage and one black eye. That's because in the 39th minute, Colombia's Lady Andrade socked U.S. star Abby Wambach in the face.

The two were jostling for position as they ran down the ball. Andrade dropped Wambach, who began writhing in pain once she hit the turf in Glasgow. As play continued, no call came from the officials.

andrade has been suspended for two games.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell just happened in the men's team gymnastics? When I left the room we'd just won the silver medal, when I came back in we had bronze :banghead:

he he he

It was good while it lasted they all did brilliantly

Can't wait to get home to watch the womens tonight I hope its just as exciting.

(in case you still don't know Japan queried their final score and got it changed as the young man thought his score didn't take into account the difficulty of his dismount and he did land it on both feet)

(in case you still don't know Japan queried their final score and got it changed as the young man thought his score didn't take into account the difficulty of his dismount and he did land it on both feet)

Thanks! Yes, I did see it a short while later. I did feel a bit sorry for the Japanese guy when he got marked down, actually, because the crowd was going wild as he was performing - must've been very distracting.

Did anyone catch women's swimming yesterday, specifically the 400m Individual Medley? I'm not an expert in this type of race nor am I aware just how fast a 16 year old can swim, but did anyone else think it was weird that Shiwen just shot ahead at the end and broke records of some of the men's races earlier? I would've thought that to be impossible! Seems a little fishy to me, but what do I know...

I haven't been able to catch a lot of the games so far, but I try to tune in at night when I get home from work. I'm not in the same time zone and don't have cable so I'm at the mercy of what NBC decides to air in primetime. It's exciting so far, though! Go USA! :D

Did anyone catch women's swimming yesterday, specifically the 400m Individual Medley? I'm not an expert in this type of race nor am I aware just how fast a 16 year old can swim, but did anyone else think it was weird that Shiwen just shot ahead at the end and broke records of some of the men's races earlier? I would've thought that to be impossible! Seems a little fishy to me, but what do I know...

I haven't been able to catch a lot of the games so far, but I try to tune in at night when I get home from work. I'm not in the same time zone and don't have cable so I'm at the mercy of what NBC decides to air in primetime. It's exciting so far, though! Go USA! :D

I didn't watch that one, but its been all over the news....I guess since there was so much question they supposedly had her take a drug test....according to her, she passed

She's passed fine, someone high up in the anti-doping agency confirmed it earlier. She's just unnaturally fast, folks. Some people get all the talent. :(

I've really been enjoying the games so far. I mean, I would like it if we'd chalked up a few more medals (when China and USA already have 19 and we have a mere 4 it is a little demoralising). However, our athletes are performing marvellously so far and we can't really ask for anything more. We've had some marvellous, unexpected results to throw in with the disappointments, and the support for our athletes is just fantastic - what an experience for them all.

This without even mentioning the fact that we haven't got to 'our' sporting finals yet. I'm sure there'll be many more medals to come but even if we didn't win another single medal for the entire competition (which won't happen), I'd still be delighted we get to watch some great, often tense, sporting master classes. It's all good fun. :D

She's passed fine, someone high up in the anti-doping agency confirmed it earlier. She's just unnaturally fast, folks. Some people get all the talent. :(

I've really been enjoying the games so far. I mean, I would like it if we'd chalked up a few more medals (when China and USA already have 19 and we have a mere 4 it is a little demoralising). However, our athletes are performing marvellously so far and we can't really ask for anything more. We've had some marvellous, unexpected results to throw in with the disappointments, and the support for our athletes is just fantastic - what an experience for them all.

This without even mentioning the fact that we haven't got to 'our' sporting finals yet. I'm sure there'll be many more medals to come but even if we didn't win another single medal for the entire competition (which won't happen), I'd still be delighted we get to watch some great, often tense, sporting master classes. It's all good fun. :D

Good post!! I love the Olympics. It is just great to see all the contestants competing against each other.

my favorite though is still the Women's Beach Volleyball. :)

Kudos to the U.S. women gymnasts.......Gold.

Congrats to the UK on their first gold medal and congrats to Australia for coming back to get silver at the last moment! :)

Thank you Kylie xx .. you don't know how much everyone here wanted/needed that medal (or perhaps you could hear the sighs of disappointment from there :D)

Well done to all the girls :)

I had an inkling of how much you wanted it. :)

Australia's Olympics have been a bit disappointing (for the athletes) so far. We used to get many more medals, especially in swimming. But much like cricket, our great era of swimming (Thorpie and co) has passed. Still, some of our swimmers have come undone because they've been a bit too cocky, which I'm almost glad about.

I haven't watched much equestrian in the past, but I really enjoyed the past few days. I didn't realise it was such a nerve-wracking sport. Every time a horse jumped, my heart jumped with it because I was terrified the horse would get hurt. :( I thought the equestrian course was just lovely, with jumps over the moon and a daybed and other cute things.

Ian Thorpe's done a really good job on tv over here, imo :smile:

I do wish they wouldn't stick the microphones in the competitor's faces straight after the event, though. What with the appalling post-race interview with Mark Cavendish the other day, and now I'm just watching Emma Pooley almost in tears - the tv people should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Yes, we've had a few athletes in tears, and our overly hyped Magnussen wandered off after his (non)-interview and let his teammates try to explain what went wrong in the 400m relay. That's what I was referring to when I spoke of our cocky athletes, but maybe I'm being a bit too hard on them. I suppose they should be given more time to get over the disappointment a little and compose themselves for the interview. It's a shame that there are so few medal winners when so many people spend their lives working hard to get to the Olympics.

I can't believe I have to go to work when all this is going on! :irked: Still, it's lovely to come home and catch up on the days events. I love watching such diverse sports for a change. As someone said on the radio this morning, I've watched more sports in the last four days than I have in the last four years! :lol:

FANTASTIC results today for Team GB, let hope it'll open the floodgates for more, but like Ben said, even if we don't win another medal the whole games, it's been brilliant to just be a spectator. :smile2: (Love your new avatar, Ben!)

I am one of the lucky ones who can watch it at work. One advantage of working in a nursing home is the big screen TV in the lounge, plus the fact that a lot of residents have smaller ones in their rooms. I must have spent more time watching the telly this morning then than I did actually working. Luckily I finished at 2pm which meant that I could rush home to watch the Time Trial - what a win, what a year for Wiggo ! It can only get better.