Summer Olympics

Katrina1968

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two days now to go before the big weekend and things are hotting up even further here in Box Hill (in more ways than one). I was interviewed by Sky Sports News yesterday which was interesting, and I understand (thanks Chrissie) that it was shown just before 7pm last night. I wasn't able to view it myself unfortunately, since we don't get Sky Sports, but Coran filmed it as well discreetly in the background, so I did get to see that, and from what I saw (even if I do hate the sound of my own voice), I did pretty well.

Today though we have most of the teams coming through for a practise run with some very low flying helicopters. I missed most of the fun, as of course I had to work, and go and do the weekly shop, but the German team were whizzing past the Post Office when I stopped off to get the local paper. I will see them all again on Saturday anyway and the women too on Sunday. Coran filmed a lot of it for the video she is doing for the Neighbourhood Council website, so I will watch her footage later on. Hope it gets a bit cooler though, as I don't fancy standing out in this heat all day.

That's so cool that you were interviewed, wish I would have seen that. I hope everything runs smoothly for you and doesn't cause too much disruption (well, more than you probably know it will at least).

I'm personally very excited for the Olympics as I absolutely love sport and will watch pretty much any sport ordinarily (including so-called boring sports like golf. :P) I'm wary that our Olympics will disappoint in comparison to some of the others, particularly Sydney, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and try to ignore some of the mistakes, because it must be such a logistical nightmare.

I'm excited for pretty much all the events, but particularly the table tennis, tennis, football, cycling, badminton, volleyball (beach too), handball, hockey and the water polo. Not much then. *laughs*

Edited by Ben

I wouldn't usually watch too much of the Olympics, but now that I work from home (and frequently in front of the TV so it will keep me awake), I will probably be watching quite a lot of sport. I need something to fill the gap left by the Tour de France and Masterchef!

Thanks Ben - while there have been hiccups (some of them quite major ones at that), I am trying to remain positive about the Games (and I said this to the reporter), there are I believe more positives than negatives. The mood in the village seems a little more opimistic than it did, with bunting hangng from various houses and trees along the route, and both shops decorated. When I got home this afternoon, several people were sitting outside their houses in deck chairs and so on watching the action.

I fully take on board what you say about it being a logistical nightmare and have said this myself on many occasions to both villagers and LOCOG alike, when I have had the chance to do so. It is not just the borough of Mole Valley where I live that they have had to consult with, but 8 other boroughs, and that's just for one event ! The fact that the NT areas of Box Hill are a SSSI has certainly complicated things.

Having said all this, I will be glad when it is all over and life can go back to normal in what is usually our sleepy little village, whatever normal is !

Coran has been asked to do a video for the Neighbourhood Council, which we hope to also put on Youtube (SCC have confirmed that we can do this), so once it is uploaded, I will post the link on here.

Edited by Talisman

I'm getting quite excited now.

I'll be glad when it starts then the media can stop waffling on speculating, and second guessing what MIGHT happen.

There's a buzz of excitement in the air. Work was ridiculous last night, everyone getting their BBQ essentials ready for the opening ceremony. It's coincided with a warm spell so there'll be a BBQ frenzy.

Who do you want to light the torch??

Yep, it seems to be leaning towards Roger Bannister. I personally don't mind, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Danny Boyle has come up with for the opening ceremony. I know we can't match China for scope, but I really think he'll come up with something great (despite the fact that no matter what happens he'll be unable to please everyone).

There is a air of excitement here around the Box Hill loop tonight as the final preparations take place with less than 11 hours now until the roads shut. Houses are festooned with flags and bunting and Headley cricket pitch is beginning to resemble a travellers camp as campers vans and motor homes turn up in their droves with accents from it seems all over Europe. Coran and I aim to leave early and get up the Donkey Green by about 8am to see the ticket holders coming in and will then make our way through the village filming as we go and talking to various people, locals and visitors alike. Radio Surrey will be up here in the morning again (they were live from Box Hill this morning), so we will stop off and chat to them as well at some point.

I have heard that SCC are expecting crowds of up to 1.1 million people around the route, with up to 25 or maybe 30,000 around the Box Hill loop. Alison who does the catering from her van opposite the camp ground is catering for 5000 and the ladies who work in the National Trust servery are being bussed up at 5.30am - rather her than me ! Some of them are staying with friends in the village and from I understand, are planning a pre games party. Good for them.

If the crowds go get too much though, I will head home, collect a garden chair and just park it by the side of the road with my camera and water bottle and stay there ! Remember to look out for me then in the crowd scenes on telly and listen out for both of us on Radio Surrey ...

Edited by Talisman

I am normally a bit of a cynic when it comes to this kind of thing but I loved it. Danny Boyle has really done a great job and got a bit of an F U to the government in as well. I was worried it would all be a bit crass but it was superb, feeling very proud to be British right now.

What was the FU to the government? I've quite enjoyed it, although I missed a bit of the beginning because I had to dash out and buy some snacks. I arrived in time to see the industrial bit and the rings coming together. I thought that was brilliant - very nicely done.

What did you think of the NHS bit? As a non-Pom, I was a little puzzled, but I thought it was cute. Good health services should be celebrated, I guess. I suppose I thought it was a bit strange because I've never exactly heard glowing reports of the NHS and because, as our commentator said, we couldn't imagine celebrating Medicare (our NHS equivalent) over here.

You can't help but smile when you watch the ceremony. I love to watch all the little countries coming out and looking so happy. :) I love to see all the world gathering together for a good and happy event. :D

I was a bit unsure about the NHS bit particularly as we always cut their budgets and things. :mellow:

Despite that though, I thought it was integrated with the children's literature segment very well. On a whole I think Danny Boyle did a wonderful job. I was worried it wouldn't be anything special but I thought he did a great job. I too am very pleased to be British right now.

I agree wholeheartedly Kylie, it's wonderful that the world can come together like this and celebrate instead of focusing on all the hurt and pain that seem central to our news. We never get to hear about anything good and happy, and this offers a perfect chance. I'm looking forward to the sporting events beginning tomorrow now. :D

I didn't watch all of it, as I was knackered having been up since 6am for work, and knowing that I would have to be up again at the same time today, but I loved the industrial revolution bit - those drums !

Not to mention the choreography of the workers 'at work' during the industrial revolution - great stuff. :)

I dozed off just before the end, but luckily I recorded it (and it's already airing for a second time here while we wait for you all to wake up so we can watch some sport :P) so I was able to go back and watch the lighting of the cauldron (brilliantly done) and my hero, Paul McCartney, performing a couple of songs. I love that he sang The End, which I think has some of the most beautiful lyrics they wrote: 'and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make'. I'm not sure about Hey Jude as a song choice, but I guess it was chosen because it's a great 'sing along' song. But another song about love might have been nice (Love is All You Need). Oh, or it would have been brilliant if Macca had sung Imagine, which would have been perfect for the spirit of the games as well as giving a nod to John Lennon. Anyway, I'm just happy I got to see him sing at all. :)

Wonderful start tp the Olympics, folks !

The Opening Ceremony was so beautiful .

My favorite part of all was when the Queen (supposedly) skydived into the arena . Pretty cute idea !

Everything was beautiful,though . Hats off to your country for putting on a really good show .

( I also loved the Mr. Bean part ) :)

I wasn't intending to watch it, but I did, and I don't think they did a bad job, on the whole. Opening ceremonies are always a bit lame anyway, but I got the feeling this was done slightly tongue in cheek and having the kids light the flame was a good touch. It was far from being the Teletubbies writ large fest some of the tabloids were predicting.

Watching the cycling in Box Hill. I'm looking for June but it's like trying to spot a needle in a moving haystack. :)

I'm doing exactly the same!

I can see that I'm not going to get much reading done over the next couple of weeks unless I leave the house - it's all just brilliant so far :smile2:

James Bond and Mr Bean completely stole the show. Great stuff.

On the whole I enjoyed the opening ceremony. Some of it was a bit naff but you can't please everybody.

Now we can get on with the sport.