Summer Olympics

Katrina1968

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be kind of working, although not in an official capacity for the organisers, but as Editor of the village newsletter where I live.

Early last year, LOCOG announced that both the mens and women's road cycling races would be going straight through our village - the men will be doing 9 laps and the women 2. The Box Hill loop, which is what LOCOG and other parties are calling this part of the route, encompasses I believe more than 50 percent of the men's race, and is then vitally important.

As Editor of the village newsletter, a role which I have held for 5 years now, I have then been heavily involved in the consulation process, going to various meetings and providing feedback on behalf of residents via different pressure groups. I have also of course been the voice of the village reporting back from those meetings through what I write. It has been heavy going in places, due to an acute lack of communication from both the organisers themselves and the local Council, both of whom seem to forget at regular intervals that I exist ! Consequently much of the information has not reached my ears until in some cases the day before I am due to print, which as you can imagine, has been a logistical nightmare.

Having said that, it is also a logistical nightmare for them - the races are going through no less than 9 different London and Surrey boroughs. What makes our village different though is the fact that the riders will be here for so long. With most towns and villages they will be just passing through, but the men in particular will be there for upwards of 3 hours.

The reaction from residents has been mixed - sadly the majority seem to be very much against the games, due to the disruption that it will cause (the roads will be closing at 4am on both days and not re-opening until what they term "late evening". While I can understand this, I also feel it is a shame that more do not embrace it and try to see the positive. This is a wonderful opportunity for the village - the worlds entire media will be here, with crowds of quite possibly up to 200,000 people. It is quite possibly the most important event in the history of the vilage, and most definately the biggest. It has then been quite a responsbility and once the games are over, I am looking forward to giving up the job as Editor.

Because it is so important though, we will be doing a special one off Olympic issue, which we had hoped to sell around the route. However, because they have now decided that the National Trust areas will be a ticketed zone, this is no longer possible - there are also all sorts of issues with advertising and what you can and can't do, although I believe there are some exceptions to what they term as "current periodicals" which of course we will come under. Because of all these restrictions though, we have decided that rather than try and sell it in the ticketed zone, we will get a table at the village hall, where the Neigbourhood Council will be selling refreshments and sell it from there instead. The idea is that the entire team will take turns to man the table, so that we can also enjoy the races ourselves.

Coran and I were lucky enough to get press passes into the restricted zone for the test race last August, but this will not be possible for the real events, so it looks like we will have to apply for tickets when they finally do go on sale. I will wait to see what the prices are before I decide whether it is worth is or not. The riders will be passing within 5 minutes of our house anyway, so if the tickets are too expensive then I will probably just watch them from there. The crowds will be much smaller in the village and I will save myself that long walk as well.

Edited by Talisman

My wedding and honeymoon are during the olympics so I am looking forward to them more...

I am annoyed by the cost of the olympics like many others espicially with all the budget cuts, but I am trying to stay optimistic and hope that the long term benefits will out way the costs. The torch relay is going through Dublin at the same time I'm on holiday there so I might try and catch that.

I am really looking forward to it. I am really glad I live nowhere near London. Friends of mine that do are taking their annual leave during that fortnight so they can escape the bedlam.

I'm right behind the athletes, and the event despite it running over budget and our country having NO money.

But what saddens me is that the multinational conglomorates have their greasy tentacles into everything, as usual.

The ticket allocation to the most popular events have been a farce.

Its awful that the regular folks who are putting up with the disruption and that are paying for the event via their council tax wont get a look in, because the corporate sponsors were allocated the vast majority of tickets.

I heard on the tv last night that no food or drink can be taken into the stadium unless its been provided by the sponsors.

And I'm already fed up with amount of adverts from the planets most destructive and greedy companies cashing in on something that should be more than just about sales and money!!!

The constant speculation by news correspondents about security implications are also very annoying. Thousands of sporting and cultural events go off around the world every week with NO PROBLEM.

Why must the news try to wind everybody up into a state of frenzied paranoia at every opportunity?? We all know that everything possible will be done to ensure everyone's safety, but it is impossible to factor in every rogue nutcase on the planet.

If we listened to the news no would go anywhere or do anything.

Forget the politics, lets get back to something Olympian that is worth celebrating. Hasn't Chris Hoy got a fabulous bottom??? :giggle2: :giggle2:

Hasn't Chris Hoy got a fabulous bottom??? :giggle2: :giggle2:

he has, hasn't he :D and seems like a nice guy too which is a double bonus

Saw on television the other day that it was 100 days until the opening of the olympic games and have started to get excited since then. I won't be going to see anything just catching all the highlights on the television. in fact I don't think I know anyone who is going, I know plenty of people who didn't get tickets though.

From the outside looking in, we never hardly think about the logistical nightmare that you guys have to go through. I really think its unfair that you can't even see the games! That's crazy. And beyond contemptible that the money 'ladies of the night' wont let you share in teh profits!

Yes indeed. At msot of the public meetings I have been to we were repeatedly told that this was an opportunity for local people to "exercise their enterpreneurial skills". A rep from SCC (Surrey County Council) even suggested a meeting between the newsletter that I represent and the Council. All of it has gone out the window. After 4 months of hard work on our Olympic special Coran and I discovered that we will not be able to sell it within a couple of metres of the actual route, which seeing as the village only has one road is somewhat of a problem ! Neither can we sell it around the National Trust areas as these will be controlled by LOCOG and only open to official sponsors - in other words, only goods from sponsors can be sold. While I was told that were exceptions for "current periodicals", it is not clear what these are, and in any case, in order to sell the magazine within the ticketed zone we would need tickets - unlike paid journalists and no doubt, SCC officials, we will not get free tickets, and personally I do not see why I should pay for a ticket when I will too busy trying to sell our newsletter to enjoy it! The icing on the cake is the fact that we cannot use the word Olympic on the cover, as they say it is a brand - my arse (pardon my language). All this depsite the fact that we are a voluneter organisation, the profits of which all go towards local groups and charities.

I can understand why a lot of the villagers are so against the games when we come up against all these ridiculous obstacles. It makes you think that it is not about what will benefit ordinary people, but all about protecting commercial interests, but then again, aren't most things ? ! It does make me angry though as it is the charities and groups that we support that are going to lose out - and they wonder why I want to give up as Editor !

Edited by Talisman

That's awful Talisman. Not only are small businesses missing out, but charities and trusts too???

There's a small cafe in Stratford who has been 'forced' to changed the name of his cafe because of the games, it's a kebab shop called Olympik. It would have cost him £3000(out of his own pocket) to get new signs, so he just painted out the 'O'. Now its Lympik.

I'll be avoiding as much of it as possible. I am not into sporting events of any kind and get nothing out of watching them, so I'll be pretty much ignoring the Olympics completely, as I do every four years - LOL!

That's awful Talisman. Not only are small businesses missing out, but charities and trusts too???

They won't miss out directly as far as our newsletter is concerned, as we are not ourselves a charity, but as our proceeds go towards local charities and groups in and around the village (in the past we have helped causes such as Help for Heroes, Regain and so on), they will miss out indirectly. We are hoping that we may be able to sell it from the village hall instead which is set back from the road, but I am not convinced that that many spectators will venture that far outside the ticketed zone, as it is at least a 3 mile from the nearest train station.

As for the cafe that CoffinNail mentions, I have heard so many of these stories. The latest one I read which was in this weeks local paper claimed that LOCOG are now banning people from downloading videos and pictures from the road races that they make themselves onto Youtube and Facebook. How they can say this when it is not their copyright is beyond me. Personally I think it's all hot air anyway, as there is no way they will be able to Police it.

Edited by Talisman

I don't watch sports... well almost, I do watch the motorsports, but every four years I get excited for the Olympics! Though while I had figured there would be a few problems here and there (I remember what it was like when we had the commonwealth games here in Melbourne, and the news reports I heard when the Olympics were on in Sydney), it's still makes me sad to hear it goes on still. It's meant to be about the athletes after all isn't it! Sadly it is the world we live in, where money and greed are everything, especially at times like this (financial crisis).

Well, we'll be glued. Yes, LOCOG have made the mother of all messes of so much, the sponsorship situation is both outrageous and farcical, the budget is overrunning (they knew it always would), but the sport itself will be fabulous. Like pretty much all cycling fans, we didn't get any tickets for the velodrome (it's unlikely that the 'wall of sound' that the competitors experienced at the World Cup will be anything like as strong given all the corporate ignoramuses and freeloaders who dominate the ticket allocations), but we have got some for the women's hockey final (another sport we play in the family) and the women's football final, as well as some to see Henry V at the Globe, so we're looking forward to a great 3 days in London, preceded by plenty of TV viewing. Then we're spending a few days cycling home to Yorkshire via Cambridge, Ely and Lincoln.

And if they really think they're going to stop people eating proper food in the stadiums......!

Edited by willoyd

Me! I'm already sick of it. This evening I witnessed an ad for Olay moisturiser - featuring an Olympic athlete, or course. It was swiftly followed by a Pampers advert which started with "Climbing a chair isn't an Olympic sport, but..." It's an advert for NAPPIES, people! What on earth do they have to do with any kind of sporting event??? Ridiculous!

There's a small cafe in Stratford who has been 'forced' to changed the name of his cafe because of the games, it's a kebab shop called Olympik. It would have cost him £3000(out of his own pocket) to get new signs, so he just painted out the 'O'. Now its Lympik.

Why on earth is he being forced to change the name of his kebab shop? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time (apart from nappy adverts mentioning the Olympics - LOL!). I cannot understand why his shop being called that would cause any kind of problem or confusion. It would seem to be beurocracy gone mad.

I love the Olympics! The Sydney games were the best I've ever watched, and I'm just hoping London will be at least half as good as Sydney.

One thing I've loved about the build up is the comedy programme Twenty Twelve which has been hilarious! Any one else watching? It's a mock documentary about the team of department heads and the PR group planning, building and getting ready for the Olympics.

Me! I'm already sick of it. This evening I witnessed an ad for Olay moisturiser - featuring an Olympic athlete, or course. It was swiftly followed by a Pampers advert which started with "Climbing a chair isn't an Olympic sport, but..." It's an advert for NAPPIES, people! What on earth do they have to do with any kind of sporting event??? Ridiculous!

Why on earth is he being forced to change the name of his kebab shop? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time (apart from nappy adverts mentioning the Olympics - LOL!). I cannot understand why his shop being called that would cause any kind of problem or confusion. It would seem to be beurocracy gone mad.

Harnessing the wee of future champions!!! I hope you're using their products Kell, how is your little one every going to rise to the very top if he doesn't have something corporate to poo in??? :giggle2:

The P& G 'Thanks to Mums' advert makes my soul sick. We all know that parents of young athletes spend a fortune and put themselves out for their kids in whatever they can.

But don't all parents??? When I'm roused from my bed at 2am to go collect my son from work because he's working late shift in a kitchen to pay for college, and there's no late bus, when we're paying for his board and food so he can get to work and college. Decent parents do that stuff as a matter of course, and don't need an overly sentimental advert patting them on the back.

If only there was a gold medal for marketing madness. We would definitely win that!

The Olympic commission don't want people involved in the event to think it was a sponsored kebab house. But apparently its perfectly acceptable for spectators and participants alike to eat McDonalds, Coke and Mars products!!!!

When we are all more than aware that if we did consume these products on a regular basis we couldn't run up the stairs let alone win a medal.

Its the ridiculous assumption that you could be like an Olympic athlete if you BUY this product. It makes a mockery of all the training, focus and the years of gut wrenching hard graft that they have gone through.

I don't blame the athletes, they've earned the right to make a few quid in endorsements and thats the only way they can make money, but being force fed this tripe is driving me do-lally. :banghead:

And Usain Bolt has done so much running about for Virgin and Visa he'll be knackered before he even gets there.

I love the Olympics, will avoid any disruption as I am in the west country though the torch is going through both mum and dads village and Salisbury so might catch a glimpse. I am sick of the advertising and the corperate sponsorship of everything and the taking of all the seats and you will probably find the stadiums half empty except for the big events anyway and thats where some of the main drama is played out. Still its one of the few sporting big events I love to watch on the tv.

Not having much interest in people throwing things or running round in circles the Olympics doesn't interest me, and the attitude of some of the TV commentators irritates me, last time when the athletics started I recall a commentator saying "And now the proper Olympics begins" as if the only ones that count are track and field. The whole commercial and corporate side to it annoys me as does the egotistical self important attitude of the officials involved, like the guy who was livid that he was kept waiting 3 hours at passport control. Well so was everyone else just because you are an Olympic official ie organiser of a big sports day, does not give you special privileges. Don't get me started on the Olympic lanes.

Olympic lanes is 39 miles of roads inside London that will be used to transport the Olympic family - athletes, officials, media and sponsors like Coca Cola and McDonalds - through some of London's busiest traffic hot spots

So the mighty can glide past us plebs unhindered by the common people like a Soviet Commisar. Yet another money making scheme

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/dispatches-reveals-olympic-lanes-for-sale

The whole event is just a money machine and it's the tax payers that have to pick up the bill.

I am interested in watching them as sports and I will probably be watching themas much as I can, but thats as much as I like about it. I am so disapointed about the tickets, I would have loved to have seen something, anything but I just thought that system was really unfair for the general public. I do wonder how many 'celebrities' will have managed to get there hands on some tickets though.

Also the disruption. My dad is a police office and will have to be away from home for three months constantly due to what he is doing there. I don't like how the whole country will ground to a hault because of it.

I love the Olympics! The Sydney games were the best I've ever watched, and I'm just hoping London will be at least half as good as Sydney.

We like to think so too. ;) When was the last time the Olympics were held in the UK?

As I recall, I think we were all pretty sick of the Olympics in the lead-up to it, but we did get into it once it started. A word of warning though: when it was all over, the entire city became curiously depressed for a while. Everything went so well and there was such a great atmosphere, and it came to such a sudden end. It was like no one knew what to do with themselves. :giggle2:

We like to think so too. ;) When was the last time the Olympics were held in the UK?

As I recall, I think we were all pretty sick of the Olympics in the lead-up to it, but we did get into it once it started. A word of warning though: when it was all over, the entire city became curiously depressed for a while. Everything went so well and there was such a great atmosphere, and it came to such a sudden end. It was like no one knew what to do with themselves. :giggle2:

It was much the same down here when the commonwealth games were held too.

• 3 months later...

And I suspect will also be the case with our little village of 1200 or so inhabitants. 3 days before the mens race it is beginning to get a bit crazy here already with metal barriers all over the place and various signs going up in and around Dorking. LOCOG cars have been racing up and down (and some of them really are racing) and our mobile phones have been refusing to work ! The road leading into the ticketed zone is closed already while LOCOG complete all their setting up and paint various signs all over it, but the rest of the village won't be closing until 4am on Saturday and then at 6am on Sunday. Helicopters have been flying overhead for most of the day and tomorrow we have some of the athletes coming through for a test run with temporary road closures in place. I am off to Sainsburys though and so will miss most of it !

The real fun of course starts on Friday night when the campers and motor homes start to arrive ...

I'm excited :boogie: .. I do like sport in general so there's lots I'm looking forward to seeing. Hope we get it right and hope the weather doesn't let us down too much. I've got to travel over the weekend .. bet that will be fun :D:banghead: Good luck to all the athletes.

We've been building up to it already, watching programmes like Top 20 Olympic Athletes, Top 10 Olympic Moments as well as the outstandingly brilliant sitcom Twenty Twelve. My favourite fact so far is that Usain Bolt ran the 100m in Beijing with his shoelaces undone!! :eek: So excited now. :exc: