James Patterson

i love the womens murder club books ,i'm only upto the 5th but they are such a fast thrilling read.

I like the chapters being short too, you feel like you're getting somewhere. So many times i've picked up a long book with long chapters and i'm constantly looking for the end of it so i can put it down in a decent place and take a break or because it's waffling on for too long in one place.

such a great read ! :blush:

not bothered who does most of the work on the booksas long as they keep producing them of that quality

I used to be an avid reader of James Patterson. I quite enjoyed the Alex Cross series and have read them many times over. The thing I enjoy most about them (and have search for other books that do the same) is that the narration switched between the detective and the killer, giving you a perspective from all over. It made it more interesting, kept me guessing as to who was the killer and the things go through his mind.

I have only a read a few in the Woman's Murder Club but I hope to read more soon!

I have only read the first in the Alex Cross series (I think it is Along Came a Spider), and this is the only James Patterson book I have read. I didn't really enjoy it though - the storyline was good, but I felt the writing was not! I have some of the others in the series on my tbr shelf, but I am not in a hurry to read them, although it may be - as it is in others series of books - that they improve as the series progresses. They are okay if you want something undemanding though - probably a decent author to take on a long flight.

• 3 months later...

A great series of books to read is the Women's Murder Club by James Patterson.

The first book is called 1st to Die and is brilliant. They are about a Homicide Detective, Lindsay Boxer,a Journalist Cindy Thomas, a Coroner Claire Washburn and a DA Jill Bernhardt who get together to solve murders. Its does sound quite cheesy but the books are excellent I have read the first three and there are 8 in total. If you enjoy a great crime/mystery novel I highly recommend you read these. :friends0:

• 3 months later...
A great series of books to read is the Women's Murder Club by James Patterson.

The first book is called 1st to Die and is brilliant. They are about a Homicide Detective, Lindsay Boxer,a Journalist Cindy Thomas, a Coroner Claire Washburn and a DA Jill Bernhardt who get together to solve murders. Its does sound quite cheesy but the books are excellent I have read the first three and there are 8 in total. If you enjoy a great crime/mystery novel I highly recommend you read these. :D

I love the Women's Murder Club series too, I think I have read the first five and have books 6 and 7 on my bookshelf. Although I do think it is a bit strange that James Patterson doesn't do most of the writing himself as each book has a sort of co-writer - I'm not really sure how it works as the books do all have the same sort of flow and style to them but the co-writer is not the same for them all:shrug:

I've never heard of the maximum ride series so just looked it up on amazon and it sounds very different to the other James Patterson books that i've read - it says they are aimed at young adults. All the books have very good reviews though so i would also be interested if anyone has read these as i like James Patterson but this just sounds too different for him! :lol:

I've never heard of the maximum ride series so just looked it up on amazon and it sounds very different to the other James Patterson books that i've read - it says they are aimed at young adults. All the books have very good reviews though so i would also be interested if anyone has read these as i like James Patterson but this just sounds too different for him! :lol:

It has took me a little time to reply to this post, Sorry (Damn computer :D) But they are TOTALLY different to normal James patterson Thriller books. In their own right and with a little open mindness they are good books. Even though Book four I did not enjoy.

There is a thread about Maximum Ride series on the teens/ kids section.

Hope this and the message helps Purple Princess and to sweetipie. (EDIT: Sorry sweetipie I did not notice your comment.)

Edited by catwoman

The points made about Patterson not being the sole author of 'his' books are valid, but he is far from the only author using ghosts and co-writers to bump his output. There are several best-selling authors who have managed to collaborate for years without problems. I, for one, like the books, and the knowledge that he possibly didn't write a particular section of a book doesn't detract from the quality of the novels.

I love the Alex Cross series and enjoyed the Maximum books too. The women's murder club is a great series too but so far I have only come as far as book three.

I really enjoyed the lifeguard too and I seriously do not mind who writes the books in the end. The way I see it is that the brand James Patterson tells me what I can expect when looking to buy a book.

It's like when you buy a car an go for the Audi - you buy it because of the brand and you know you get something good. You don't buy it because you think it is the same people putting car after car together, right?

Co-authors get paid good for their work, otherwise they would not continue to do it.

I love the Alex Cross series and enjoyed the Maximum books too. The women's murder club is a great series too but so far I have only come as far as book three.

I really enjoyed the lifeguard too and I seriously do not mind who writes the books in the end. The way I see it is that the brand James Patterson tells me what I can expect when looking to buy a book.

It's like when you buy a car an go for the Audi - you buy it because of the brand and you know you get something good. You don't buy it because you think it is the same people putting car after car together, right?

Co-authors get paid good for their work, otherwise they would not continue to do it.

FANTASTIC!!! Well put!!! I totally agree.

Even though I have yet to read the lifegurd or some of the one off thrillers.

• 4 months later...

I really enjoy James Patterson. I think he writes all his novels, and when he isn't the sole author he always credits the co-author, which I like. I mainly read Alex Cross book, although I know a lot of people enjoy Maximum Ride.

As for the short chapters. As a thriller writer myself, I'd rather have shorter chapters because it can help the pace move more quickly and doesn't confuse readers as much if you break up different scenes. On the otherhand having short chapters just to make them short doesn't make sense either. I think Patterson does a good job of pacing his novels.

I just did a quick count of what I could see and I have 23 books of his so definately a fan.

I like the short chapters, I think he pulls them off well.

My favourites are The Jester, Torn Apart (would be interested if anyone else has read this one) about a boy with numerous conditions including Tourette Syndrome, and the Alex Cross series.

It doesn't bother me about the co-authors either, if they are getting noticed this way and I like them it can only be positive.

I love the Alex Cross series and for me the short chapters worked throughout. Recently on hols i picked up Sail which was released last summer.....i thought it was utter rubbish :D I don't think i could go back to reading his books...which appear to be written for people who have trouble reading...hence the short chapters...or am i being cruel and is it a clever marketing ploy to keep us on the edge of our seat. It worked for me in the early days....but not now...and Morgan freeman is too old to play him :D:mrgreen:

• 1 year later...

I love the James Patterson books I have read all of them now and cannot wait for the next one to be realeased. I am fine with the idea of him coming up the the outline of the stories and another writer filling in the gaps. This then puts new writters out there for us to take a look at, Andrew Gross being one of them. I have now read two of his books and found them absolutely brilliant, I am now looking round for the other writers that have a hand in the james patterson books. You could say that he is helping new writers get noticed, which I am all for.