James Patterson

Intersting but I'm not sure if I mind as long as I enjoy the book. I know he was orignally in marketing and he used his experience in this when he realised that there was an area in America where his books didn't sell as well as other areas. The next series of books he wrote he based in that part of America and hey presto his sales shoot up there.

i love his books. i especially like the short chapters. i'll be reading and think 'oh just one more chapter' and then another and another .... the stories are easy to read and real page-turners

and i knew he didn't write his own stuff nowadays (if he ever did), i think andrew gross writes most

why the co-authors don't just write their own stuff beats me. maybe they don't have the plots or they earn more this way. suppose it's a good way to become 'known'

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting article, thanks for the link Louise.

It's all in the enjoyment of the book to me but I think Patterson should be 'stand-up' about it and acknowledge Maxine Paetro or his other collaberators on the cover.

I've read a few of his books and not a fan of Alex Cross but I did enjoy "Big Bad Wolf" and "The Jester". I wonder "who wrote these" as they are somewhat different to the Cross series of books?

An interesting article, thanks for the link Louise.

It's all in the enjoyment of the book to me but I think Patterson should be 'stand-up' about it and acknowledge Maxine Paetro or his other collaberators on the cover.

I've read a few of his books and not a fan of Alex Cross but I did enjoy "Big Bad Wolf" and "The Jester". I wonder "who wrote these" as they are somewhat different to the Cross series of books?

The Jester is credited on the front cover to Andrew Gross

I think he's just very clever
I agree he is clever!

his finest work was "Cat and Mouse" an Alex Cross story that's a great story I don't want to spoil it for those of you that haven't read it so I'm not going to say any more about the book.

All I can say is that it's worth viewing:typing:

I may have said this title again by mistake but it's just that the book in question is the top of my James patterson list.

I only have 2 of his books. 1 is the this title I'm talking about and the second title is "Maximum ride the angel experiment"

I do like his books, and agree that the short chapters help to keep you going in the early stages. I particularly like to take them on holiday - so you can pick up and read and put down whenever - as they flow quite nicely and seem easy to read with other distractions around.

I found it amusing reading that article where it was said, he didn't recognise excerpts of one of his books, :D but having said that - he would have to have almost a photographic memory to remember all the plot lines and script, to all his (and his co-written) books now, wouldn't he? haha!:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i love his books. i especially like the short chapters. i'll be reading and think 'oh just one more chapter' and then another and another .... the stories are easy to read and real page-turners

and i knew he didn't write his own stuff nowadays (if he ever did), i think andrew gross writes most

why the co-authors don't just write their own stuff beats me. maybe they don't have the plots or they earn more this way. suppose it's a good way to become 'known'

Andrew Gross has a book out called The Blue Zone - he often co writes with JP. This is what the review I read about it says

In short, fast, cliff-hanging chapters this first-time author seems to be a copycat James Patterson, which is hardly surprising since he has been Patterson

I think I'm going to be ill, it feels like someone just punched me in the stomach and stole seven dollars out of my pocket.

He's not writing his own stuff?

Eff him, last book I'll buy by him -- Max Ride be damned.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought an anthology edited by James Patterson called Thriller and must confess that after reading the first four or five stories, am quite disappointed. There seems to be a distinct lack of imagination in most of the short stores which, so far at least, are anything but thrilling.

• 1 year later...

What do you think are his best titles? I have only read Beach Road and i loved the twist. I have a few more on my tbr at some point. I have Jack and Jill, When the wind blows and cant remember the others so will have to edit the post to include those when i have checked!:blush:

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

I used to be an avid James Patterson reader. Particularly the Alex Cross novels and then the womens murder club series. Then it seemed to me that James Patterson started churning out books so thick and fast, they lost something, they just didn`t seem as good. I haven`t read anything by him for a long time, can`t even remember which was the last book of his I read now.

Writing on his own, James Patterson's books were genuine page turners.

There was the occasional pushing of luck with some of the plot twists, but mainly

they were great. I do think the books have suffered as a result of his 'collaborations',

although I did think that 7th Heaven (Women's Murder Club) was a little better than

the last few from that potentially great series.

If you read them in publication order, you'll soon find where it all seems to start

drifting (I'd say around 2003/4). But until then I think they are great reads!

I have quite a few of his titles Sarah 1979, so if you have trouble getting hold of any I may be

able to help! :blush:

What do you think are his best titles? I have only read Beach Road and i loved the twist. I have a few more on my tbr at some point. I have Jack and Jill, When the wind blows and cant remember the others so will have to edit the post to include those when i have checked!:eek:

Personally I would say start at the beginning with James Patterson - in particular the Alex Cross and The Womens Murder Club series'. In order the Alex Cross novels are;

Along Came A Spider

Kiss The Girls

Jack and Jill

Cat and Mouse

Pop Goes The Weasel

Roses Are Red

Violets Are Blue

Four Blind Mice

Big Bad Wolf

London Bridges

Mary, Mary

Cross

Double Cross

Cross Country.

The main reason I'd say to read them in order, is because in some (most) of the books, he makes reference to earlier enemies/serial killers and 1) it won't make any sense to you as you may not have read the book and 2) it'll give the game away for when/if you do read that particular book.