Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 18

Janet

I finished reading The Phantom of the Opera, quite a good read. I've now moved on to the second book in the Mistborn Trilogy - The well of ascension by Brandon Sanderson. I read the first one way back in January 2011, so I hope there's not too much I've forgotten!

That will be my next read, just a bit left of Sharpe's Havoc which is great so far.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:b7ydance: wait for it......yeah I have managed to read 2 whole books since Friday! :e010:

This is the most I've read in ages, must travel by coach more often lol

I've read and enjoyed Angels In My Hair by Lorna Byrne followed by Sold to the Highest Bidder by Donna Alward a very predictable easy reading chic lit book.

Now I'm just about to start 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin

A great read! I'm looking forward to the advent of The Twelve by Justin Cronin.

Finally finished Bleak House. Yay! And now I have added Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods to my current reads. I've read many other of Bryson's books, and finding this one just as irreverently funny.

Still struggling with A Take Of Two Cities - and waiting eagerly for I Capture The Castle to arrive - which may not - as I got a mail saying it may be out of stock :(

have been re-reading a few things waiting for inspiration to hit but most of the books recommended to me are in the pre-order stage which is really frustrating so although I am still working my way and enjoying Good Omens its all a bit uninspired at the moment. I have just ordered 2 books of Amazon though both Childrens fairy tales The Pied Piper and 12 Dancing Princesses mainly because they are illustrated by one of my favourite illustrators so happy again.

Bloody work is getting in my way of reading, damn you!!!! :banghead:

I could be poor and just live with my books??

I feel your pain! I might join you in being poor but happy, with loads of reading time :)

I decided against starting Papillon yesterday; I remembered that I had a library book which needs to go back this month, so I'm reading that instead. It's 'Starmaker' by Jay Bernstein. Bernstein was a Hollywood publicist for many years, and worked for people like Farrah Fawcett, the Rat Pack and many other huge stars - it's not so much a bio, because it only really covers his years in Hollywood. Started it last night - looks like a light, interesting and humorous read :)

I'm about 75% of the way through Remote Control by Andy McNab. I'm not particularly enjoying it - I'll be glad to finish it and get it off the TBR list!

My ability to settle down and read 'I Capture The Castle' has disappeared completely, and I have no idea why. :( I've been enjoying the book, but "Pft!" mojo has dropped own to zero. I may have to read a different book to get it kick started. I will have a good old think about what book may work........Mmmmmm

I received Insurgent (the second book in Veronica Roth's Insurgent trilogy) in the post today, I really should finish Tiny Sunbirds Far Away first but I'm not sure I can wait!

Yesterday and today I also received (via ReaditSwapit) -

The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot (Book Club read)

The Horse Dancer - Jojo Moyes

The Peacock Emporium - Jojo Moyes

How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff

The Pact - Jodi Piccoult

And also from Amazon -

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith

The Rescue Man - Anthony Quinn

Because of course, I needed more books.... Now I need to try and squeeze them onto my TBR shelf, I will NOT have 2 TBR shelves!! :o

Edited by chaliepud

Borrowed a few from the library:

The Boy in the Suitcase

Sarah's Key

Winter's Bone

I am about 100 pages into The Stand and struggling to get into it...I may read one of the three I borrowed and go back to The Stand after

Borrowed a few from the library:

The Boy in the Suitcase

Sarah's Key

Winter's Bone

I am about 100 pages into The Stand and struggling to get into it...I may read one of the three I borrowed and go back to The Stand after

Winter's Bone was a great film, normally the book is better so hopefully you're in for a treat! ;-)

Mojo has perked up a bit after being stunned (in a good way) by My Cousin Rachel. I'm revisiting I Capture the Castle which could have been a mistake but thankfully isn't. I thought I might need the stimulus of a new story but I love this book and it's got one of the best opening chapters ever .. I'm straight back there in the kitchen with Cassandra and I'm as engrossed as ever. If it weren't for the Austen's this would probably be my most re-read book.

I hope so...just about to start it :)

Winter's Bone is an excellent book (and film adaptation) - hope you enjoy it :smile:

I finished Andy McNab's Remote Control last night (thank gawd) and started David Gemmell's Midnight Falcon this morning.

Mojo has perked up a bit after being stunned (in a good way) by My Cousin Rachel. I'm revisiting I Capture the Castle which could have been a mistake but thankfully isn't. I thought I might need the stimulus of a new story but I love this book and it's got one of the best opening chapters ever .. I'm straight back there in the kitchen with Cassandra and I'm as engrossed as ever. If it weren't for the Austen's this would probably be my most re-read book.

I Capture The Castle has been on my tbr for years. I'm glad that you're enjoying it so much. I've got it on my 'to read soon' list, so hopefully I'll get to it at some point!!

I'm getting on with Starmaker, by Jay Bernstein (publicist to many big stars in the 60s and 70s, including the Rat Pack, Farrah Fawcett and others). Really enjoyable so far :)

I Capture The Castle has been on my tbr for years. I'm glad that you're enjoying it so much. I've got it on my 'to read soon' list, so hopefully I'll get to it at some point!!

I really hope you enjoy it Ruth :smile: I feel quite confident in recommending it but then again I know Janet hated it .. so it could go either way :D