Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 18

Janet

... received a few books in the mail.

so, a normal day at Maison Kylie :D

I'm just about finished with The Moving Toyshop now .. not quite sure where to go next because I'm off on a trip. Actually I bought (for a £1) a copy of Daphne du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel today because I'm visiting Cornwall soon and hope to visit Jamaica Inn for a drink and though I couldn't find a copy of Jamaica Inn to take, I wanted to read My Cousin Rachel anyway and so I thought well, it's almost as relevant :D .. it's Cornish.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished reading Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz and I must admit, I'm a bit dissapointed .It wasnt what he put in his novel that left me unquenched,but what he left out .It was like a friday 13th film where your on the edge of your seat in suspense,to be dropped like a ton of bricks, when you see no gore or blood .

I do like to use my own imagination ,but I need something to wet it .

The basic story line was believablily contructed ,it could happen ,scientists are creating chromosomes of dangerous levels as we speak ,but I expected more .

27% into A Game of Thrones. I wanted to re-read the first couple before carrying on with the series. Other than that I've read a few mediocore books. Mainly thriller and crime. I wasn't overly impressed with the new Val McDermid one.

so, a normal day at Maison Kylie :D

I'm just about finished with The Moving Toyshop now .. not quite sure where to go next because I'm off on a trip. Actually I bought (for a £1) a copy of Daphne du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel today because I'm visiting Cornwall soon and hope to visit Jamaica Inn for a drink and though I couldn't find a copy of Jamaica Inn to take, I wanted to read My Cousin Rachel anyway and so I thought well, it's almost as relevant :D .. it's Cornish.

I love My Cousin Rachel - I thought it was better in some ways than Rebecca - I wrote a few words about it on the Fiction thread.

I'm reading Dark Echo by F G Cottam at present. I fancied an eerie ghost story and having recently read Brodmaw Bay by him, I thought I would have a go at another of his books. So far so good.

Edited by SueK

I'm very much enjoying The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd, at the moment. It's been on my tbr pile since pre 2007 (according to my Library Thing), and I'm reading it now because my f2f reading group have it as their book of the month. It's great though; I wish I'd read it earlier.

Being a fan of celebrity bios (I mean proper celebrities, not the kind of person who appeared on X Factor or Big Brother once and thought the world would like to know their life story), I've bought Baby I Don't Care, by Lee Server - a bio of Robert Mitchum from Amazon this week. Have also ordered William Holden: Golden Boy, by Bob Thomas, as I really like William Holden and it's supposed to be a good bio.

Went into a charity shop today and picked up De Niro: A Biography by James Baxter, but according to Amazon, it's not a great bio. I only paid a little bit for it though, so I'm not too bothered. I also bought The Last Family In England by Matt Haig, from the same charity shop - seduced by the cute black Labrador on the cover (reminded me of my dog)...only to realise that I already have a copy of this book. But again, I only paid charity shop prices for it, so I don't mind.

Am reading To Kill a Mockingbird......I'm almost ashamed to admit I havent read this yet!

Aahhh, one of my very favourite books, AND films :) Hope you love the book as much as I do!

You may well enjoy Matthew Sweet's Shepperton Babylon, Ruth. It lifts the lid off the seamy underbelly of the British film industry (yes, I know that's about as mixed as metaphors come :smile: ) and is especially good on the pre-war era and the silent films.

You may well enjoy Matthew Sweet's Shepperton Babylon, Ruth. It lifts the lid off the seamy underbelly of the British film industry (yes, I know that's about as mixed as metaphors come :smile: ) and is especially good on the pre-war era and the silent films.

Thanks for the recommendation - I Googled it, and have now ordered a copy. Looks like something I would definitely enjoy :)

I am at the halfway mark for The Reapers It's taking me far too long to get through.

The third game of thrones book arrive from BD today, so now I am just awaiting the first and I can finally start reading it! I loved the tv show. The first hunger games book also arrived, so that series is ready to be read.

I finished Notes From a Small Island - my first Bill Bryson which I really enjoyed. (Although, if you're going to do a tour of England and Scotland, October does not strike me as the best time of year to do it!)

Lots of thrillers coming up for me it seems (curse library due dates) so I'm reading something lighter now before I tackle them - The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend.

Two books picked up from the Bookcrossing meetup last night....one which was on my wishlist...woop.

'Worth Dying For' by Lee Child (hubby might read this one)

'Left Neglected' by Lisa Genova (author of Still Alice, which I recommended recently, this was my wishlist book).

I downloaded a freebie on amazon last night The Lake - Steven F. Galloway and a friend of mine gave me Good Omens - Neil Gaiman which she got for world book night...happy days, readings been in a bit of a slump I was drawn back into the werewolf stuff and downloaded a load of rubbish need to update list again just need about an hour to do it :readingtwo:

I'm currently reading Brodeck's Report by Philippe Claudel. From the blurb on the cover:

From his village in post-war France, Brodeck makes his solitary journeys into the mountains to collect data on the natural environment. Day by day he also reconstructs his own life, all but lost in the years he spent in a camp during the war. No-one had expected to see him again. One day, a flamboyant stranger rides into the village, upsetting the fragile balance of everyday life. Soon he is named the Anderer, “the other”, and tensions rise until, one night, the newcomer is murdered. Brodeck is instructed to write an account of the events leading to his death, but his report delivers much more than the bare facts: it becomes the story of a community coming to terms with the legacy of enemy occupation. In a powerful narrative of exceptional fascination, Brodeck’s Report explores the very limits of humanity.

It's a book that unfolds quite slowly, but it's a fascinating account of an insular, suspicious community which guards its traditions and ways jealously against the incursions of outsiders. Brodeck himself is an intriguing character - he seems to be every bit as much an outsider as the mysterious "stranger". I'm really enjoying this one, even if it is a bit unsettling.

Four books accidentally fell into my shopping basket yesterday; two for husband on local history, one of which I wil be reading too, 'The Little Book Of Sussex' by David Arscott, and two for me, from the combined pens (keyboards) that are Nicci French I have 'Blue Monday', and 'Love You More' by Lisa Gardner.

I also nabbed a Kindle Daily Deal book that is unikely ever to be a paperback - Londoners: The Days and Nights of London as Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Long for It, Have Left It and Everything Inbetween by Craig Taylor.

I've managed to read the first 2 Wallander novels this week Faceless Killers & The dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell. Read both books in 4 days. Found them both very good and love the fact they are set in Sweden. Today I have started The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel kay It's the first book of his I am reading and although am only 50 pages in I am hooked. Thank to Karsa Orlong for the recommendation :smile: