Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 18

Janet

The old thread was rather long so I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm getting on really well with Down Under. I'm about two-thirds of the way through it and I'm loving it. I'd go as far as to say I think it will be my favourite 'Bryson' so far! :D

My Mum has given me her copy of Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson - I don't know anything about it (apart from I think lots of people on here have read it and liked it) but I've given it to hubby to read first as I have so many books to catch up on!

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I finishes The Dark Tide by Andrew Gross, which was a great read and today I started the 2nd book in the series Don't Look Twice by Andrew Gross which I so far am enjoying.

I am afraid I am not very good at reviews just the odd phrase, line, sentence, every minute I take writing detracts from my reading time, sorry.

I finished Breakheart Hill Thomas H. Cook very good read with a surprising ending. My next read is going to be Dragonfly In Amber Diana Gabaldon , I read Cross Stitch last year & liked it so hoping that her second book is just as good.

Some books I ordered arrived today:

20th Century Ghosts-Joe Hill

The Edible Woman-Margaret Atwood

Ben, In The World-Doris Lessing

I also ordered Lessing's The Fifth Child, but it hasn't arrived yet

I got William Walkers First Year of Marriage by Matt Rudd in the post today.

Interested to know what you think of this Laura , I read it a couple of years ago.

I'm reading Fear nothing by Dean Koontz which is compelling ,quirky and well up to his normal standard. :readingtwo: .

Scary ?

Am reading To Kill a Mockingbird......I'm almost ashamed to admit I havent read this yet!

Enjoy it Sofia it truly is a classic. I hadn't read it either up until a few years ago.

I am 3/4 way through Rescue by Anita Shreve.

Am reading To Kill a Mockingbird......I'm almost ashamed to admit I havent read this yet!

I only read it last year Sofia, and I'm so glad I did..

I'm nearly halfway through Dark Matter by Michelle Paver, it's starting to get a little spooky so I'll definitely get it finished before Steve goes back to work! :hide:

I was given a copy of Cuckoo by Julia Crouch by my friend today so that's another book to add to my TBR shelf! :o

Edited by chaliepud

I have not had time to read in a really long time! Life has been so busy - but what I have been reading here and there (including today) is Under The Dome by Stephen King. I'm almost a quarter of the way through it.. not sure if I can make it the whole way.

I got one of many books I ordered in the post today (damn Easter/Mid year sales).

George Orwell - 1984 which also happens to be the year I was born!

finished Blackout by Chris Ryan, his first book I've read and I really enjoyed it, but I looked up reviews on Amazon and everyone says it is his worst book... must be a good sign.

Started reading 3001: The final Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke. Also ordered his biography.

Got the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson in the post today as well as A Dance with Dragons paperback copy.

Interested to know what you think of this Laura , I read it a couple of years ago.

did you enjoy it when you read it? I'm hoping I do, it does sound interesting :)

in other book news I only downloaded one kindle freebie all week :) this was Phone Monkey: The Secret Diary of a Call Centre Worker - Anon

I'm flittering through a few books at the moment - being doing a lot of art lately and I tend not to read and do art at the same time, I switch between spending a lot of time on each.

I did get 'The People Next Door' by Christopher Ransom in a charity shop for like 2 euro. I've heard it's bad, but hey, 2 euro, and a cool cover. I also bought "Never Let Me Go" in the same place, because I've neither read that nor seen the movie!

In addition, having watched Arrietty, I got The Borrowers by Mary Horton (I think, can't be bothered checking - it's famous!) and am reading that for the first time. For some reason I always thought Roald Dahl had written that!

The other thing I'm reading, also after seeing the movie adaptation, is "The Plague Dogs" by Richard Adams. I only heard about it recently! The movie was excellent, if very very sad and quite violent.

Done with the Secret Garden.

It was a pleasure reading it - such a simple story - and so beautifully told.

I loved the characters in it - all of them - they all just fit in - and made it whole and complete.

Lovely read. Will revisit again for sure.

And after reading rave reviews from non-sci-fi readers here, about Jules Verne (Janet, you especially!) - I have picked up Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Looking forward to becoming a convert too.

I started and finished Doris Lessing's 'Ben, In The World', a sequel to this month's Reading Circle read ' The Fifth Child'.

Another short but powerful book from the author, and although the book travelled wildly (UK, France and South America) the emotional aspects were constant and ache inducing.