Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 18

Janet

I finished Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life last night, really not my cup of tea this. I only stuck with it because I was stuck with nothing else on a train and then by the time I'd got off I'd battled over halfway through so felt I'd invested too much time to abandon!

I've now started another book off the 1001 list - Veronika Decides to Die. The title and the first few pages are a bit morbid, the blurb promises it's uplifting! We shall see!

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eliza1

Halfway through Of Human Bondage now, really enjoying it. Watched a Louis Theroux Documentary last night on Indian spiritual Gurus. Quite interesting, makes you wonder why people are compelled to go and live that life.

I'm trying to lose a bit of weight at the moment. So I've lost a quarter of a pound in the last two days. I can't seem to stop eating junk!

I've finished Apocalypse Cow by Michael Logan and I have started Twilight by Stephanie Mayer. This is my first read of Twilight, so I hope I enjoy it, but from what I can gather its either a book you love or hate!

I finished The Olive Harvest last night, and I've decided to start Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs today :)

Wohoo for Running with Scissors! :D I can't wait for your review on it, it's one of my favorite books, and what's more, it's definitely not an ordinary book. Brace yourself!

I started reading Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us by Robert D. Hare. I didn't manage to get past more than 10 or so pages before I fell asleep, but I have a feeling this book will get my mojo back!

Making good progress through Christine, really enjoying it!

I also bought the three H. G. Wells hardback omnibus editions from amazon, they contain ten of his best novels and his complete collection of short stories, really looking forward to getting them.

Wohoo for Running with Scissors! :D I can't wait for your review on it, it's one of my favorite books, and what's more, it's definitely not an ordinary book. Brace yourself!

Well, we've been down to my favourite place this morning (Chesil Beach, obviously) and had peppermint tea in the beach café sat at a table on the terrace overlooking the beach and the coastline for a couple of hours, and I couldn't put it down! I'm already half way through :blush:

Edited by chesilbeach

Well, we've been down to my favourite place this morning (Chesil Beach, obviously) and had peppermint tea in the beach café sat at a table on the terrace overlooking the beach and the coastline for a couple of hours, and I couldn't put it down! I'm already half way through :blush:

:D OMG! I thought you were going to say that since you're at your favorite place and having tea, you haven't had the time to even open the book, but there you go saying that you are actually half way through! Yay, I'm absolutely thrilled!! :giggle2:

:D OMG! I thought you were going to say that since you're at your favorite place and having tea, you haven't had the time to even open the book, but there you go saying that you are actually half way through! Yay, I'm absolutely thrilled!! :giggle2:

:D I've been putting it off for a while, because I had it in my head that the writing would be just like David Sedaris (I've no idea where I got that from :roll:) who had been sold to me as an amazing writer, but when I read one of his books, it was good, but not outstanding, so I was worried I was going to be mildly disappointed by Running With Scissors in the same way. But, I'm happy to report, it's so compelling, I'm off to find another coffee to sit and enjoy some more :smile2:

:D I've been putting it off for a while, because I had it in my head that the writing would be just like David Sedaris (I've no idea where I got that from :roll:) who had been sold to me as an amazing writer, but when I read one of his books, it was good, but not outstanding, so I was worried I was going to be mildly disappointed by Running With Scissors in the same way. But, I'm happy to report, it's so compelling, I'm off to find another coffee to sit and enjoy some more :smile2:

Ah, I totally understand. When I'd read most of Burroughs's books I thought I'd give David Sedaris a go, because a) it's on the Rory Gilmore list and b) because he always seems to be compared to Burroughs. I don't remember where and why, but so many people have pinned them together. So I was really much looking forward to reading Sedaris, but his book was a huge disappointment and as a Burroughs fan I was very upset that such a comparison has been made. I'm overjoyed to hear that you enjoy Burroughs far more and aren't the biggest fan of Sedaris. Hehe, I guess this makes me a four year old, pretty much :giggle:

Enjoy your coffee and Burroughs! :smile2:

I finished Red Glove (Cursed Workers book 2) really enjoyed it and its set up for the next one nicely. In a fit of not sure waht to read I re-read some old romance I found on my shelf (bodice ripper ahoy) but then popped into the library and picked up Souless - Gail Carriger its been on my recommend list for ages and haven't really thought about getting it but actually its quite good.

Spent the day reading The Good Father by Noah Hawley. Just about thirty pages to go and it's absolutely fantastic.

I read Soulless last year, pickle, and I enjoyed it. I've got the rest of the series on my wishlist. :)

excellent taking that as a good sign I happened to pick up the second at the same time. Happy days

I read Soulless last year, pickle, and I enjoyed it. I've got the rest of the series on my wishlist. :)

excellent taking that as a good sign I happened to pick up the second at the same time. Happy days

I've almost finished The people next door by Christopher Ransom, I'm really enjoying it and just can't wait to find out what's going on...it's a real suspense story...hope it doesn't let me down like his last novel....review to follow!!

Andie P x

Excellent reading pace as is to be expected now I have so much free time on my hands. Finished The Good Father by Noah Hawley - reviewed and posted in the 'Fiction' section for you all to have a gander at and hopefully become compelled to pick it up. I'm also making good progress with Rebecca which is coming along very nicely making me disappointed that I've never got around to reading it before this point.