The Colour by Rose Tremain

chesilbeach

Synopsis (from book cover):

Joseph and Harriet Blackstone emigrate from Norfolk to New Zealand in search of new beginnings and prosperity. But the harsh land near Christchurch where they settle threatens to destroy them almost before they begin. When Joseph finds gold in the creek he is seized by a rapturous obsession with the voluptuous riches awaiting him deep in the earth. Abandoning his farm and family, he sets off alone for the new gold-fields over the Southern Alps, a moral wilderness where many others, under the seductive dreams of 'the colour', are violently rushing to their destinies.

By turns both moving and terrifying, it is a story of the quest for the impossible, an attempt to mine the complexities of love and in the process discover the sacrifices to be made in the pursuit of happiness.

My thoughts:

I was absolutely gripped by this book. Harriet is a strong, independent and determined woman (the sort of character that Katherine Hepburn was superb at portraying on screen), while Joseph is more introverted, and haunted by something that has happened back in England which is eating him up, and his story is revealed throughout the book, but when it's finally revealed, although it wasn't exactly what I expected, it was quite horrific, and knowing that he'd got away with it, you could understand why he was unravelling in such a way.

Along side these great characters, is a very interesting story of the emigration of three people to the New World, where people are arriving all the time with the hope of starting a new and prosperous life, either working the land, or seeking their fortune in the gold rush. There is also a native Maori character who gives an insight into their lives and beliefs alongside these white settlers.

The only thing I would query about the book, and don't get me wrong, I did enjoy these parts as well, but I wonder if the introduction of Chen, a Chinese man who has travelled to New Zealand with the plan to rent some land for a vegetable plot near the prospecting lands in order to make money selling fresh produce to those men in their camps away from the main towns and shops. He does play an important role to a certain extent, but I'm not sure I was totally convinced by his place in the story.

Despite my feelings about that aspect, it was hard to find any real faults with the book, the story or the writing. This is the second book I've read by Rose Tremain, and I will definitely be looking for more by her to read in the future, especially as I'm told all her books are unique, in that she chooses different periods in time and different themes for each new book, and doesn't stay with a particular genre.

• 1 year later...

Hi gardengirl.  Yes, Tremain did write Restoration too.  I've only read one of her other books, The Road Home, although that's a contemporary novel, but it was excellent.  I've been meaning to read more of her work, just haven't got round to it yet.

Edited by chesilbeach