The Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling - General discussion

Michelle

I'm looking forward to hearing what you make of it by the end :) Is it a long novel, by the way?

I surely hope that it is a long novel. I love long novels when well written, i.e. Stephen King, Edward Rutherfurd, Harry Potter series, etc.

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But thinking about it I reckon JK should have published under a pseudonym.

I couldn't agree more, I think I would have admired her more if she had done. Sales are obviously going to be driven by the majority of us who are curious about her next work rather than the book itself.

I couldn't agree more, I think I would have admired her more if she had done. Sales are obviously going to be driven by the majority of us who are curious about her next work rather than the book itself.

On the other hand, I admire her for publishing under her own name and taking the chance that it could be criticized. She certainly doesn't need the money. Publishing under another name would have been a way to go unrecognized if the book was a failure and if it was a hit she could then take credit. I give her kudos for not being afraid of publishing under her own name. :)

On the other hand, I admire her for publishing under her own name and taking the chance that it could be criticized. She certainly doesn't need the money. Publishing under another name would have been a way to go unrecognized if the book was a failure and if it was a hit she could then take credit. I give her kudos for not being afraid of publishing under her own name. :)

I agree. I feel it would be odd of her to publish under a pseudonym just so she wouldn't be taking a risk and so that some people wouldn't have to complain about the hype (not referring to anyone on here, I just think she's bound to have her non-fans as well). I mean, what author doesn't want their books read by people? And it's not like she's demanding everyone, at gunpoint, to buy her books :) Sales are up because people buy the books. :)

You got me curious lovesreading, so I checked my library. They have 9 copies at the moment, and at least one of them is bestseller which means you can only get it for a week at a time, have to pay to issue and can't renew it, so it gets circulated quicker. And there are 128 waiting, so they'll probably get more copies in soon.

I might read it at some stage. Not because of the author or anything as I didn't read Harry Potter (well, one chapter, then my son decided he didn't like it).

^ Come on, it's Rowling, a long novel goes without saying! (the Amazon page count is 512).

I thought mine was a rather fair question. Have you seen the size of her earliest Harry Potter books? :)

Anyways, thanks for the page count info.

I thought mine was a rather fair question. Have you seen the size of her earliest Harry Potter books? :)

Anyways, thanks for the page count info.

It was a fair question, I was just being flippant because her last four books are somewhat renown for being big books!

I'm quoting vodkafan from the review thread of the same title, I hope you don't mind, vodkafan :)

I have vowed not to buy it till I see it in a charity shop though, just to see how long it takes, for the fun of it. ;)

I'd be very curious to see how long it takes for people to (possibly) take their books to charityshops and secondhand bookshops, so keep us posted, peeps :D

I'm also curious to see how many books end up there...

• 1 month later...

I am with you on this one. Given the huge success of her previous work, it must have been quite daunting to plot this one. If she had published under a pseudonym, she would have only been criticized for avoiding the pressure of having to live up to the high expectations of people...

Edited by Amelie

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd made a huge mistake reserving the English copy because the Finnish translation is out already and of course they have a lot more copies of that in store, and the last time I went to the library there was one of the Finnish copies in the 'reserved books waiting to be fetched' bookcase, and I was annoyed at myself for having not realised it's already published in Finnish! :o And the new Finnish books can be borrowed for 2 weeks only, and the new English titles can be borrowed for 4 weeks, so I thought oh man, it's gonna take me a while.

However, I just got a text from the library saying it's my turn and there's a copy waiting for me! :exc: I have a feeling I won't have time for anything else but reading this December :blush:

I've been reading this book for the past couple of months now. This is not at all what I had expected. It's much worse actually! I've wanted to put it down after the first go but I keep holding out incase it gets better. With only 200pages left to go, it hasn't gotten better. What a waste of time! I guess it's not for everyone.