The Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling - General discussion

Michelle

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok I admit it, I got it from work today! Won't be reading it until I've finished what I'm reading now though. I'm not too happy about the Kindle price being more (I do prefer my Kindle now I have it!) but it doesn't bother me so much. At least at work I got it with my staff discount so I can't complain! Really looking forward to reading it. I don't like reading reviews and taking their word for it, I prefer to make my own judgement. My ex was a gamer, he would get excited for a game then refuse to buy it if it got a bad review! I kept telling him to try it, make his own decision on if it was good or not. He ignored me for a long time, then decided to take my advice and realised what an idiot he was and that he had missed out on so many good games :P !

Initially when I saw this post I thought I'd not touch it, because Rowling can't top her Harry Potter books.

Ever since then the title of the novel has been popping up on friends rewiews and wishlists on Goodreads, and I've become rather curious about the book. I came to this read to read the blurb and I thought it actually sounds interesting. So I went over to the library's website and they are actually in the process of acquiring a few copies, so I reserved a copy :) Wohoo!

That's all good then it won't be long before I can read some reviews from BCFers. Truth to tell the subject matter of the book hasn't fired me up much, if she had written an SF story set in space or an alien invasion story I would have been there queueing at WH Smith with everybody else.

That's all good then it won't be long before I can read some reviews from BCFers. Truth to tell the subject matter of the book hasn't fired me up much, if she had written an SF story set in space or an alien invasion story I would have been there queueing at WH Smith with everybody else.

I personally admire her for doing something completely different from what she's known for :shrug:

I personally admire her for doing something completely different from what she's known for :shrug:

Oh yeah absolutely. An author has to write for his/herself first that's for sure. Otherwise it's like being a slave to the readership. I wonder if she ever felt like that near the end of the HP series?

Edited by vodkafan

Oh yeah absolutely. An author has to write for his/herself first that's for sure. Otherwise it's like being a slave to the readership. I wonder if she ever felt like that near the end of the HP series?

It's hard to say... But I'm sure she's glad she can now concentrate on different things. She'll always be remembered as the author who created the HP series, I'm sure she'd like to be recognised for her other novels as well.

I will withhold my opinion until I actually read the book or see some reviews from some reliable members of the forum.

JKR is an easy target of criticism as some would love to see her fail.

Well said! :smile: I plan on reading nothing about the book before I have read it for myself. Then I'll know for myself.

Well said! :smile: I plan on reading nothing about the book before I have read it for myself. Then I'll know for myself.

Me too Chrissy...if I ever buy it...lol.

I will withhold my opinion until I actually read the book or see some reviews from some reliable members of the forum.

JKR is an easy target of criticism as some would love to see her fail.

Well said :) Although I don't mind reading the reviews on the novel by the good people on here. I'm actually very curious to see what people make of it. I have reserved a copy of the book so I'm going to read it some day anyways.

I remember being dragged to the cinema with two friends to watch the first part of the last film and not understanding anything that was going on. So, i decided to read all 7 books before the second part of the film came out in the cinema! I actually thought they were great!

It will be interesting to see how JK Rowling does with writing outside of the Harry Potter world and with aiming the book at a totally different audience. I want to read this book purely because of the hype surrounding it, just so i can see for myself if the book is good or not, however, i will have to wait till it comes out in paperback. I'm not too keen on hardbacks or on spending that much on a book.

:)