The Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling - General discussion

Michelle

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't really relevant to the price, but I wonder how long the book will be. Something along the lines of HP1, or maybe HP5? I also wonder if it will only have one editor (so it can be properly edited) and whether the publisher will insist on all sorts of secrecy before its publication so nothing will be leaked to the public. On the one hand, there would be no spoilers as such, but it's obviously going to be a big publishing event, so you never know...

The Book Depository have pre-orders for A$23/15 pounds/18 euros. The only Aussie site that has pre-orders is listing it for $32, which sounds about right for a new release hardback on a cheapish website (but it's still a price I would never pay for a book!) It will probably retail for around $40 (about 26 pounds) generally. :(

Wikipedia and Amazon both say its 480 pages so not too bad I guess.

I am actually getting excited about it now :giggle2: but will still and (try) to wait to hear some reviews first.

Ah, thanks. :) I only looked in one place for the page number and it wasn't listed.

Yep, talking about it is getting me excited too. I suppose it's good that there's not too long to wait though (well, unless you have to wait for the paperback, which is probably what I'll be doing).

I would like to read it but I must be honest and say it is because it is JK Rowling, not because I would be that interested in the story!! Is that wrong?!

No, it's not wrong at all! If you've enjoyed books an author has written in the past, there's a very good chance you'll enjoy something else they've written. I'd say nearly all of the books I own have been acquired using this logic. :)

I would like to read it but I must be honest and say it is because it is JK Rowling, not because I would be that interested in the story!! Is that wrong?!

Andie x

not wrong at all - I have read the description and have already forgotten what its all about but because its JK Rowling and because there will be an excitement about it I am interested

I'm curious, but will be more likely to get a secondhand paperback when enough time has passed for that to be possible.

Fun fact: About 8 years ago, my friend was in a band named The Casual Vacancy. He's also a massive Potterhead, so you can imagine his amusement when he heard the name of this book. :lol:

Waterstones have it at £10 pre order too.

I think I feel a Book Ring Group coming on! :D That would sure be a way of keeping the costs down.

*wanders over to amazon to check the price and publish date*

Are you offering to start one Chrissy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The book plot does comes across as intriguing. I am curious to see J.K. Rowling's writing style and plot development away from Potterverse. I know I'll be reading A Casual Vacancy, however, it may have to wait until the paperback is released. Books in Australia are disappointingly expensive. :(

• 1 month later...

I love J.K Rowling and I am a huge Harry Potter fan having grown up wth the books and everything. I'm really tempted to buy this when it comes out but it would be purely for the fact that she wrote it as the storyline isn't what I would normally read really. But I suppose it might surprise me :)

Despite being a massive Harry Potter fan, I must say, I'm not overly excited about this. Looking over the Harry Potter series again and having extensive conversations about it with a wide range of people, I've decided rather harshly that Rowling isn't a fantastic writer. I feel very mean saying this as I adored the Harry Potter series as a child but I'm not fussed about The Casual Vacancy enough to physically buy it, I am curious, yes but I think I'm going to wait and see what is said about it and how it is received before investing. :/

• 2 weeks later...

The cover has been released. It's lucky I don't (often) judge books by their covers, because if I did there's no way in heck I'd buy this. It reminds me of covers from the 80s. Blech. Very uninspired. But it's also very eye-catching. Think I'll wait and see if they come up with something better for the paperback.

post-3835-0-86390000-1341361116_thumb.jpg

I read the press release and it didn't particularly stand out as a cover that would immediately tempt me either. I did notice this little note at the bottom:

Barry Fairbrother’s surname was incorrectly given as Fairweather in our original press release. This was Little, Brown’s error and we are correcting it now.

The cover has been released. It's lucky I don't (often) judge books by their covers, because if I did there's no way in heck I'd buy this. It reminds me of covers from the 80s. Blech. Very uninspired. But it's also very eye-catching. Think I'll wait and see if they come up with something better for the paperback.

post-3835-0-86390000-1341361116_thumb.jpg

Blech sums it up perfectly I think! Still, J.K.Rowling is prominent, so that will guarantee shifting a few thousand copies no doubt.

I do hope it's a good book though - if only to prove the nay-sayers wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Not inspired by it either :( Still, I have the highest of hopes for it (yeah it's sink or swim JK :D) so I can't see me hanging on for the paperback. I might listen instead .. depending on who's reading (it's too much to hope it will be Stephen again isn't it? :D) You do know Kylie, that by the time the paperback is published, you will know what the general consensus is? (not from me I hasten to add .. I am as silent as the grave :D) .. perhaps that, along with the paperback cover, will have a bearing on whether you buy. It might even have a bearing on whether I buy because I probably won't be quick off the mark and if I hear a lot of negatives (even though I'm one of those people who say they're NEVER swayed by opinions) I'll probably turn my attention to something else and wait for it to turn up at the charity shop in droves.