Top Ten Novels.... (Top 100 on page 5)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read about 20. I kinda got lost and my eyes all wonky some where in the 80's on the list of 100.

And I love feeling a little smug. Anne of Green Gables in that list is spelled Ann and anyone who's read that book knows it's with an 'e', because ....

--------------

"Oh, I'm not ashamed of it," explained Anne, "only I like Cordelia better. I've always imagined that my name was Cordelia --at least, I always have of late years. When I was young I used to imagine it was Geraldine, but I like Cordelia better now. But if you call me Anne please call me Anne spelled with an e."

What difference does that make how it's spelled?" asked Marilla with another rusty smile as she picked up the teapot.

"Oh it makes such a difference. It looks so much nicer. When you hear a name pronounced can't you always see it in your mind, just as if it was printed out? I can; and A-n-n looks dreadful, but A-n-n-e looks so much more distinguished. If you'll only call me Anne spelled with an e I shall try to reconcile myself to not being called Cordelia.

"Very well, then, Anne spelled with an e, can you tell us how this mistake came to be made? We sent word to Mrs. Spencer to bring us a boy. Were there no boys at the asylum?

-----------

Fun book, I'm on page 101 right now.

I've read 18 of them, and started and discarded 7 others without finishing.

Something else, I wonder how I, Claudius can be in the top 100 and not Claudius the God.... :?:

I've read about 20. I kinda got lost and my eyes all wonky some where in the 80's on the list of 100.

And I love feeling a little smug. Anne of Green Gables in that list is spelled Ann and anyone who's read that book knows it's with an 'e', because ....

--------------

"Oh, I'm not ashamed of it," explained Anne, "only I like Cordelia better. I've always imagined that my name was Cordelia --at least, I always have of late years. When I was young I used to imagine it was Geraldine, but I like Cordelia better now. But if you call me Anne please call me Anne spelled with an e."

What difference does that make how it's spelled?" asked Marilla with another rusty smile as she picked up the teapot.

"Oh it makes such a difference. It looks so much nicer. When you hear a name pronounced can't you always see it in your mind, just as if it was printed out? I can; and A-n-n looks dreadful, but A-n-n-e looks so much more distinguished. If you'll only call me Anne spelled with an e I shall try to reconcile myself to not being called Cordelia.

"Very well, then, Anne spelled with an e, can you tell us how this mistake came to be made? We sent word to Mrs. Spencer to bring us a boy. Were there no boys at the asylum?

-----------

Fun book, I'm on page 101 right now.

the weird thing with the ann/anne debate is that usually it's 'ann' if a first nama en 'anne' if a second (or subsequent) name

have no clue why, just something i noticed

(and i said 'usually', so i'm not inviting examples that disprove the rule) :)

the weird thing with the ann/anne debate is that usually it's 'ann' if a first nama en 'anne' if a second (or subsequent) name

have no clue why, just something i noticed

(and i said 'usually', so i'm not inviting examples that disprove the rule) :)

I am the only Ann I know everyone else I have met have Anne as their first name

• 8 months later...

Anne is such a sweet character! Remember Ms. Montgomery's description of her simply sitting in a room with the sun shining through the window - just smiling at nature? I almost don't want to read the sequels and ruin the magic of seeing her grow up in the first book. Being more of a listener, I'd love to meet someone as talkative as her.

...Eleven. *drinks a glass of milk to wash down humble pie*

I've read 32 of the 100. That's pretty good, right? There are a lot on there that I've been meaning to read, and some that don't seem to belong. I also think that The Lord of the Rings should be #1!!!:lol: