Eminent Victorians by Lytton Strachey

Freewheeling Andy

This little book achieved great fame and notoriety when it was published in 1919. It's basically just four potted biographies, of people who were massively lauded in the Victorian era as the epitome of the good English citizen, all hard work and piety and fair play.

At the time it was seen as fairly vicious lampooning, but to my modern sentiments it just seems like fairly low-key criticism in a generally not too nasty piece.

The opening, and longest, section is on Cardinal Manning, and in particular his relations with Cardinal Newman, and with the Oxford movement (of which I knew nothing) which pushed Anglicanism towards catholicism. To be honest, it was pretty turgid stuff and very hard to get excited by.

The later pieces, on Florence Nightingale (the only name of these four that is familiar now), Dr Arnold and General Gordon.

The last two are the most interesting to me, the first of how the English public school structure was changed by Arnold, and not necessarily for the better; the second, about General Gordon, is much more fun, full of imperial politics and bluster and backstabbing and ego, combined with some of Gordon's genuine brilliance. It's actually a hugely fun read.

Florence Nightingale's ongoing manipulations of politicians to try and force through change in military medical care and Dr Arnold's obsession with religion above learning in school life also make for interesting reading, but I think these days this book is probably more a period-piece than a worthwhile book on itself.

Sound like one to get from the library, perhaps?

I think I'd like the Florence Nightingale section, but I'd also be quite interested in the General Gordon piece. He was very proiment in Gravesend, which is where I went to school. There are lots of things in Gravesend - pubs, streets, even a school (now closed) - that were named after him, so I have actually heard of him!

• 2 years later...